1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jul 22, 2013.

1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

If you reload at some point yah have a dud. I was shooting the other day and had a dud and when I opened the gun the wad had not even cleared the hull. I can only guess a weak primer.

I did not think on it to much than a co-worker cut open a dud he had this weekend and found it had powder in it. The powder at the contact area with the primer was black but it did not go off.

It just got me thinking about weak or bad primers. Do you guys see bad primers often? Ever had a experience similar?

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

No,never have.What primers are you useing?

3. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Hey TL, I buy the cheapest primers out there,Cheddites @ $23 per thousand. And maybe 2 out of the 20k I've bought didnt perform/fire. I also keep them stored in a large beverage cooler (likeiwse with my loaded shells) to avoid possible moisture issues. Humidity in Cinti sucks.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Ahhh...my bad. These are Winchester 209. They were purchased last year so its not like I have a batch thats 20 years old or anything. I think it is very rare also.

BTW, hows the loader setup going?

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very rare but not unheard of. Usually a dud primer will not ignite at all.

In all the rifle, pistol and shotshells that I have loaded over the last 4 decades, I have never had a dud primer. I have had a few bad rounds due to my own mistakes.

6. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Didnt start just yet. The golf game keeps getting in the way. After a pair of 77s in the club championship this weekend, I ve now realize im mediocre at 2 sports. Lol.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

himark did the cases have paper base wads?

Ajax

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

They were remington STS hulls and a downrange wad.

9. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

I had over 2000 CCI small rifle primers, and over 50% would not go off.
    Called cci and was told that it was my problem due to improper storage ect.
    The primers were from a new sleeve from a dealer that just received them.
    We even took several hundred out back on the rock and proceeded to hit them with a hammer. about half went bang, also tossed some in the camp fire with same results.

even after disassembly, the cci primers would not do anything. We did a visual inspection of new, and reloaded but didn't fire we could not find anything different in any of the primers.

This also happened in 1981. I have not purchased anything that has the name cci on it.

Just my two cents worth

Tom

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

" I can only guess a weak primer. "

I can only guess no powder.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

himark, what kind of powder?

Ajax

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Ajax it was 700x.

Johnny re-read post.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

himark, I know how to read.

"I did not think on it to much than a co-worker cut open a dud he had this weekend and found it had powder in it. The powder at the contact area with the primer was black but it did not go off. "

Are you trying to say the second sentence applies to you and not your co-worker? Are you saying the wad moved out into the barrel but the powder never moved?

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have been reloading for close to 50 years and while I have had bloopers with not enough powder I have never had a blooper where the primer was at fault. Sure I have had misfires where the primer did not ignite but not a blooper.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Well 700x will burn if you rub two sticks together, so much for my theory. I have had trouble in the past with some of the older ball powders and cooler primers.

Ajax

16. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

If you have a bad primer, Nothing will happen! If you have no powder the wad will not clear the barrel.

17. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Only primer I've ever had problems with is a recent batch of Federal 209A.
    Now I can't say if it was the primer or the hull (once fired Federal Gold Medal) but I'm getting about 1 per 100 reloads. It looks as if the center part of the primer is set to deep and only allows for a very light strike.
    When I use Fiocchi 616 on the same hull 100% success.
    Once the Federals are gone, no more will be purchased by me.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I had many Winchester primers fail on me but they never pushed the wad out the hull . Never will use them again . I use Chedittes and I have never had a bad primer from them .

19. guthooked

guthooked Member

I just had my first cheddite dud last week. John S

20. pstar48

pstar48 Member

Had one last Sunday. Winchester 209 purchased about 2 months ago. Also had a Dud on a AA factory shell during a registered shoot. Both primers were struck firmly.