1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Glun Clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Bad Gun Clubs are those that are closed. Where I live there are several that are growin up in weeds (when it rains). When we go to a shoot we are just glad its open and don't mind helping keep score, loading the trap, etc. Some of what I read on here makes me think some are a little spoiled.....Allen

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Allen you should have made your threader "Gun Club Reviews" not Bad Gun Clubs.

That way you could find out the bad from the good.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Allen, the difference between clubs is primarily a function of the membership. Join a club and become an active member if you wish to make a diffference.

Robert

4. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

The one clay range that always is a pig sty is Thunder Moutian in NJ, they have broken clay piles 10 feet high, on there skeet fields the clay is higher than the low house and almost roof level with the hi house. The one trap field has clay 60-70 yards long starting at 4 feet high then down range higher than a dump truck. Plus it's only 9 bucks a round to look over a sea of wads, never cleaned up the lead or clay and as a bonus there mean as all hell.

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The management is poor at the Indian Lake Fish & Game Gun Club in OH.

Some guy at this club ask me to sign on to be a trustee thinking that I could help make the club better but that club is what it is, a 10 bird club and there is no changing in anything there.

So I resigned when the name calling started.

This club still has one good guy there that's still fighting to make changes but I bet sooner or later he will resign also.

6. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

RRPC in Charlottesville, Va has a surplus of members waiting to get on work teams!
    With a single exception, all of the officers are friendly and helpful.
    You can shoot from 8 AM til Sunset.
    Rifle...pistol...shotgun... TRAP and SKEET.
    The dues are dirt cheap.
    A mere 16 mile drive from my gunsafe.
    What more could I ask for?!!!

ML Johnson aka ///Olde Pharte///

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

In several stats there are gunclubs closed all over within the last 2 to 3 yrs. Main reason. The average worker can't afford it anymore. Alot shoot maybe twice month, less for a lot of them. Dues most don't mind paying but can't afford the rounds it cost.
    They would all be their with there dancing shoes on but the sport is pricing itself out of the business. Too bad.
    I remember whiteflyer dropped its prices last year with the thought of the clubs also helping out. Don't think that happened. Also with what people still have a job they have took up to 50% pay cuts just to keep an income. Unless you get out in the real world and take a hard look aroung its kinda hard to see. Yound people can't afford it. Dad can't help out the way he would like. Components sky high.
    I do no clubs that are still thriving but that is because its run and funded by the upper crust. Some think thats all right to keep out the less forutunate but that hurts everone in the years to come. Wild Bill

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

B12 ... do ya think that maybe Obummer could let loose some TARP Funds to help out the less fortunate gun clubs?

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

He already stole that money from the lesser and gave it to the more fortunate.

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

B-12.... I feel the same way and it's not just the shooting sports. I have a 34' twin V-8 inboard open fisherman on Lake Erie. I costs me over $1,000 to fill the fuel tank, $5k a year for dock fees and storage and I can't even begin to use this boat like all those upper crust folks do theirs. Then when I and the family do get out on the lake we see these big cruisers parked in front of million dollar lake front homes it just ticks me off that they have that kind of money and I don't.

Yes,I'm being a bit sarcastic - and yes my boat sits much more than I would like. But, when has regular, frequent ivolvement in any sports endeavour, whether it be shooting, golf, bowling, skiing, hunting, fishing, yachting, etc. been within reach of the average wage earner? The time and money involved in doing any of these things at a competetive level has always been something only the well heeled or sponsored individual could do. But I don't think it's just a matter of money on the part of the younger or beginner shooters. Elitism at the clubs probably drives away more prospects than the cost of ammo. Kind of hard to keep your interest up when you go out to shoot with a smile on your face and find out that the Rem 870 you like so much is on the line with guns that cost more than your car.

11. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

In regards to the post about Indian Lake Fish and Game in Ohio. I have been associated with this club for over 30 years and am proud to be part of it. The poor management that Rick mentions are the ones that applied and recieved grants to fund the 4H youth shoots and a new storage building for the club.We shoot the type of shoots that the members want to shoot just like any other club.But like most clubs you have the people that manage and do all the work and you always have one or two that stir the pot with gossip and 1/2 truths and travel from club to club with no allegiance to any of them.

M. Taylor
    Shotgunner 50

12. razerface

razerface TS Member

Well Rick, they are probably glad you resigned. You don't sound like someone who would help if there were problems.

I drove by Indian Lake Fish & Game the other day and watched the 4-H kids shoot. You don't see many org's encouraging young people to use guns,,,,,it made me smile.

New trap houses look good, new storage building going up,(did not see you helping),,, the place looks great. I guess you did not want any of that to happen?

13. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I would like to comment on “Rick of Ohio” ‘s dig on the Indian Lake Fish & Game, Inc. in Ohio.

I am also an officer and trustee of the club’s and have been so for the past 7-8 years and associated with this club since the early 70’s.

In the past 6 years the “Poor Management” of the Indian Lake Fish & Game has;

totally replaced four (4) trap houses with four (4) new high quality & easy access concrete structures with roll back roofs & self draining concrete floors. Each trap house can easily store one full skid of targets with plenty of room to load and service the machines. And all structures fall within ATA guidelines & specifications if we ever get “stable” & ample help to pursue that.

replaced and installed a new 100 AMP electrical service complete with conduit, two (2) individual circuits for each structure, lights, dedicated circuit to each trap machine and work receptacle with it’s own trouble light, dust pan & bench brush.

acquire & purchase two (2) new trap machines. One wobble & one straight trap with high capacity magazines.

acquire and purchase four (4) new wireless callers.

currently constructing a new steel pole building with porch, concrete floor, steel overhead door and man door for target and mower storage. The porch is for getting out of the sun or shooting in the rain.

purchase new Gravely ZTR lawn mower & lawn sweeper to pick up wads.

landfill is continuing for south trap area.

We also have done all these improvements using a budget from the club funds for a grand total of a WHOPPING $3,200.00. The rest came from hard work, grants, donations and ear-marked functions.

Oh! We also now have hot food, cold drink every shoot, printed schedule, website, added an extra social event to make money and intend on replacing the deteriorating concrete on the front porch yet this year.

Annnnnnnnnnnd, we held the annual Kid’s Fishing Derby and held a shoot and contributed nearly $1,000.00 to the Indian Lake Weed Harvester fund thus far this year.

This club began as the Indian Lake Community Club in 1932 and has evolved but still has strong community ties.

What has been your contribution to any meeting, event or project Rick? It’s easy to sit back in the cheap seats and bitch or just stir the pot. I’ve only seen you at maybe one meeting. I look forward with great zeal for your reply.

Anybody that works a club knows the aged old adage of workers, spectators & whiners.

I personally ( and I’m sure the club) invite each and everyone of you to stop and see how dysfunctional we are. As you can read above, we just don’t cater to trapshooting.

Eric Grandi-
    Treasurer / Indian Lake Fish & Game, Inc.

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

3 kinds of people in this world:

1. Those who make things happen.

2. Those who watch things happen.

3. Those who wonder what happened.

Our club has about 50 of # 1, 400 of # 2 and 150 of # 3.

If you aren't part of the solution, you're most likely part of the problem.

Quit bitchin' and get into column # 1 or quit.

15. tammike

tammike Member

Daddiooo , If you are running in 2012 you got my vote. We share the same philosophy and I wish we had a few more from column #1 at our club.

16. smithersshootingsports

smithersshootingsports TS Member

Sounds like the indian lake boys are making good use of time and money! Well done! Especially getting youth involved, afterall they are the future and I hopefully theywont fall into that #3 category. Like alot of people!

Keep us posted and keep the sports alive indian lake!

17. gwdomi

gwdomi Member

Hey Rick, Why did you delete your post?
    I would like to read it. You need to get over your little fit & start acting like a man.
    Why don't you come to the meeting tomorrow night & tell us what we are doing wrong or what you don't agree with.

No you want every one else to do your dirty work for you.

Like having me quit for you, & giving your keys back..

Well I'm not going to do that for you. I'll have your keys at the meeting so why don't you come get them.

Gary Domi

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Yakimaman- I agree with you in part. Having wealth and the ability to aquire many things is great. But what I am trying to say is that people that don't have that chance should at least be able to have some leasure at a sport they like. Problem is in many areas the rules and laws keep them from having clubs and shooting sports without costing them an arm and a leg.
    It seems the the elite have no problem with the ordances and permits and so on to have their fun.
    Kinda like a govenor we had several years ago Mr. Bowen of Indiana. The best way to kill the sport is to make it to expensive to partake. People turned their heads the other way and now its here. I believe on of the sporting mags. had an article at the time but it was not heeded. Wild Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.