1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad etiquette at the gun club could cost you money

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    This past Sunday I shot at the local gun club. Was talking to a few friends and one mentioned to beware of a certain shooter as when he shoots poorly he practically throws his gun in the gun rack.

I mentioned that many years ago a fellow shooter was shooting the Waukesha state shoot. He had a bad round and on the next trap he threw his model 12 in the rack and 4 hi grade single barrel guns fell from the rack and scrathed up the wood pretty bad. The shooter had to be rescued as a fight was about to take place.

He appologised and told the shooters that he would pay to have each guns wood refinished professionally. It cost a lot of money, the shooters did not have their regular gun's to shoot while having them refinished. Needless to say his reputation was blemished to say the least.

Then there was the time at our local club that an elderly shooter shot an old style BT99. It appeared that he did not take care of his gun, as their was surface rust on it, and he would throw the gun into the rack after shooting. On one ocassion he actually knocked one gun out of the rack on to the concrete floor of the club. He picked up the gun that fell, placed it back in the rack and then left for the day. I do not know if he paid for the gun or not, as the stock was broken.

I shoot an inexpensive 870 TB but it's paid for and it's mine. I do not like when shooters just feel they have the right to pick up and shoulder a gun without the owners permission. Usually people who I have seen do this, are fairly new to the sport. Years ago a friend of mine shouldered my model 12 as I was waiting to shoot my last round of 25 and he put the safety on and I heard, Lost Target. When I looked back at the bench he realised what he had done which he said was by mistake???

Any of you ever experience or see poor trap etiquette like the above mentioned?
    Steve Balistreri

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

All the shooters I shoot with are A-1:) However, I did see 2 of my fellow shooters struggling to hit targets on each of there first posts and each kept looking at there guns with a look of puzzlement. Only then to realize they were each shooting the others gun...LOL. No hard feelings as they looked the same but scores did suffer a bit.

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

This was done to my son's BT at a local fund raising shoot for the USA Junior Trap team.

It was later learned one of the shooters had his gun fall on the rack into my son's. I guess he couldn't be bothered to find the owner of the gun he damaged. Just too darn busy I guess. I do hope his chokes wern't damaged and now throwing bad patterns.

BTW......The 45ACP really dust targets at the 27!!! Just kidding of course.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

If you have not had that fixed yet take some urethane clear and brush it in and sand and polish it off. It will hide 90% of that.

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Thanks himark. I'll see if he's done anything to it and suggest that to him.

And by the way, if the culprit see's this, my son and I are both the types of guys that if you would have just found one of us. We would have simply accepted your apology, shook hands, and commented later to each other and friends what a stand up guy you are. Not a penny of retribution would have been asked for or expected. Accidents happen. But now, even though I have no clue who you are, you are a low down rat (I know, I know----Watch my language).

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Steve, I Know A Trap shooter Who Is Becoming "Un-welcome" at a LOT of Clubs(Not Just in His Home State) Because Of His "Crappy" attitude. He Is ALWAYS complaining about the way shoots are Run, how The State Assocation Is Run, The Targets are not set right. If start Time is 9:00AM it is too Early but, If Start Time Is 10:00AM It is too LATE.Goes To Surrounding States And Complains About HIS Home State Then At His Home State complains about Clubs In Other States. He Is A Good Shooter But A POOR Sportsman And The Sad Part Is His Father Was A SUPER Nice Guy & Great Shooter. He Will NOT Accept ANY Office In His State Assocation But, Complains About ALL the Officers In Said Assocation, Even When They Change every Few Years. BAD Conduct & Bad Attitude May Someday Get Him Kicked Out Of The ATA. Hate To Say It But, IT Would Be A GOOD Thing. Joe Whitehurst Dang Those Capital Letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

SongDogSniper:
    To bad that happened to your son's gun. What is worse is that the person did not leave a note with his or her name and phone # offering to pay to fix it.
    Steve

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Steve interesting story, but your second to the last paragraph goes on to talk about picking up someone else's gun. How does this have anything to do with someone throwing their gun in to the rack causing other guns to be damaged? If you are referring about the other gentleman (loosely used term) picking up the gun he knocked down, I don't see how that is relevant to knocking other guns down out of anger.

Bryan

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I must live a sheltered life because I haven't seen anything like the gun damage stories. I do see a great deal of care taken when guys place or remove their guns from the rack.

On the subject of guys picking up the wrong gun - yes it happens quite regularly and it is always good for a chuckle.

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe- That's not the same guy at our club that puts his cigarettes out in the Canteburys, is it? Charlie

11. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

No Charlie, But The guy you are talking about i know and he needs to GO also.You Know he does that to Your Speakers On purpose and he is a P.In The A$$. The reason I posted this is This Guy I am talking about Upsets Shooters So Much They Stomp around the Gun racks and one of these DAYS--Crash. But, He Does NOT care. Joe W.

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I've seen a lot of very poorly made gun racks in my time. If that's my choice, or just putting my gun somewhere else, I'll put it somewhere else.

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Is it considered bad etiquette to pass gas on the firing line? I saw one shooter doing it so loud it was setting off the voice releases. Scorekeeper kept calling lost targets. Damn, stunk too.

GneJ

14. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Hippie - You crack me up ! Thats funny

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

We had a Klutz that carried his ammo in a Metal Army .50 ammo case. This he would set on a open spot on the base of the rack. When he was careful handling it nor where the lid fell when he opened it.

16. MR870

MR870 Member

We once had a member at a gun club I belonged to that started costing the club members because of his attitude and mouth.The gun club manager had talked to him along with alot of other members about it but he just wouldn't listen.So the manager confronted him one day and said enough is enough.He promptly said if he hadn't paid his dues a few weeks earlier he would leave and never come back.The gun club manager took a $100 dollar bill out of his pocket and said don't let the door hit you in the rear when you leave.It cost us a 100 bucks in dues but we have since picked up a bunch more members due to his exit.

17. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Steve,

After having paid for repairing gun stocks and forearms a few times in the past, there is a better answer than racking your gun.

Put it in your vehicle when you are finished shooting.

If you are waiting to shoot lay it on your shell case/box away from foot traffic with the action open.

It will save you a lot of wood repair expense.

I would never put a gun in a gun rack available to all shooters for the reasons several posters have outlined above----shooters who can`t control their anger.

Not trying to be a snob,just fed up with paying wood repair bills.

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I once saw a guy throw his gun across a rock parking lot after shooting a bad score. Some kid went over and picked it up and saved it from being ran over.

6 months later during winter we were shooting and had burn barrels going to keep warm and the same guy came off the line and put his gun in the burn barrel, barrel first. The same kid, who picked the gun off the parking lot, came over to get the gun out, this time we wouldn't allow him to save it.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote: <i>"I've seen a lot of very poorly made gun racks in my time."</i>

No kidding. The popular thing to do is get wood strips for corrugated patio covers and use them on gun racks. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to point out that these a notoriously bad for containing shotguns. My club had to drill holes in theirs and insert dowels because guns slipped all too often.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gun damage in racks leads me to use a gun cart as much as possible, particularly at bigger shoots or where gun racks are rather poor.

I can't imagine somebody putting a gun into a burn barrel, throwing it, etc. I've been very frustrated at times, but wanted to apologize to my gun for making it look so bad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.