1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad crimps on AA28HS hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

What could I be doing wrong with my 28 gauge reloads? I have four MEC 9000 reloaders. They work great. However, I am having a few more bad crimps on the 28 gauge loader than with the other three loaders. More bad crimps than with the other three combined. Any tips?
    Neil Swenson

2. 391 SL

391 SL Member

Try lowering your wad guide about 1/8 th of an inch. That is what MEC suggested to me and it solved the problem.

3. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Neil: I have four PW`s & have the same problems on 28ga.HS hulls. A lot of the problem is at the pre crimp. The tool has a hard time finding the existing pleats to follow on the HS hull. I actually made a tool to pre crimp by hand before it goes to the pre crimp station. This aids the tooling in the machine to find the existing pleats to follow. Its a pain to do, but those HS hulls in 28ga. have a lot of stretch & are not consistent on length.
    Bob

4. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

PW uses the pre-crimp on the 410 with the feeler wires to index to the folds. You might want to go to something like that for the 28 ga. Billy

5. skipsor

skipsor Member

The HS hulls come in two different lengths. The early ones were a bit shorter than the old AA hulls so you have to lower your crimp starter a little to get a good crimp. For more details on this try going to shotgunworld.com and go to the reloading forum and search for 28 ga HS hulls. You will find all of the details there.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I found the main problem with the 28 guage hull was not enough room inside some hulls for the components to fit. I solved the problem by reducing the amount of shot by a few pellets, this allowed a deeper perfect crimp to be formed. HMB

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Be careful not to put too much wad pressure as this will cause a ring just above the brass. I think the key is adjusting the crimp starter. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.