1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad crimp on MEC 600 Jr Mark 5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I was going along good on reloading with great looking crimps using claybuster 1118-12 wads and #8 shot. It may be a coincidence but I reloaded the shot (the same bag) and powder (the same can) and started on a new bag of wads. My crimps went to pot using the same AA hulls also. Rough edges and crimp not crisp (edge of crimp looks like a rollercoaster). It actually looks like there is to much in hull. I have tried adjusting the wad height thinking the wad may be a bit higher, but this did not help. So I adjusted the crimp punch, no help still bad crimp and edges. I adjusted the cam adjustment, no help. I put everthing back where it was. I did notice on some of the adjustments if I crimped and recrimped sometimes the final crimp was better. I have not taken a shell apart to see if the wad is touching the crimp, I will try that tonite when I get home. The only thing I can think of is the wads are bigger I will open up a new bag and check the height with that bag. Any suggestions on adjustments or things to look at or watch for. Thanks Tom

2. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

sorry the wad I am using is 1100-12 not 1118-12. thanks

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Call MEC.

Their customer service guys are top notch.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

got any crud built up inside the crimper die?

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with my Hornady. turned out to be one of the petals inside the precrimp station had broken off.... am using the paper (smooth) one temporarily, works great!

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How much shot are using. You have two wad sizes listed. One for 1 oz and one for 1 1/8 oz. HMB

7. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Found the problem out last night. After checking powder drop at it being light and shot drop and it being ok, I started looking into what MEC told me to do. One was put the wad in deeper, which did not help, so I put back like they told me. Next was to put precrimp down to about 75%, this seemed to help a little, but still had rough edges and shell looked too full. I took the final crimp station apart and could hardly get the crimp punch out of the crimp assembly (something not right should come out easily). The threads from the crimp punch that were in the turret were starting to strip. Ran the crimp punch through a die and rethreaded and tapped the turret to make sure everthing was ok. Reassembled and WOW what a difference. Crimps were 100% better, had to do a few minor adjustments back on cam and readjust final crimp height, but the crimp I think is better than some factory that I have seen in boxes I have at home. I assume there was enough play in the crimp punch by having bad threads that it was making the crimps very bad. I did not have to change anything as far as the recipe, wads, shot, etc it was just the crimp punch. Thanks for the help.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

glad we could all lead you astray... lol

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gotta check your locking nuts. I give averything a check and snug every 1000 rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting cam crimp punch on mec 600

adjusting crimp on a mec mark 5 410 press

adjusting final crimp on mec 600jr

bad crimps on mec mark 5

how to set a mec 600 jr mark v crimp punch

mec 600 bad final crimp

mec 600 jr crimp problems

poor crimping on mec jr