1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad choke possible?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Still relatively new at this, I never considered the possibility of a bad choke. Shooting a KX5 with a #2 choke, I smoke most targets. When I switch to a #3 I get a lot of chunks. With the number #4 I am back to smoke. I guess I need to put in on a pattern board to be sure. Have you seen bad chokes or is it just me?

Dave

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Possible, but not likely. Probably a fluke. How many lines have you shot with that #3? What brand choke??

3. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

They are factory Krieghoff chokes and I have shot probably 3 session with the same effect.

Dave

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When in doubt send it back to Krieghoff with a little note. I'm sure they'll take great care of you!!

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I bought a 5 choke set from Angle Port, Ballistics Specialties, and 2 of the 5 were mis-labeled... badly. They were replaced quickly and without question.

Keller

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A bore mic is a fun tool to own. It will give you lots of information, especially helpful when dealing with used guns of unknown origin. Mark

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is a very good idea to listen to what your gun is telling you. Use the chokes that it likes and you will shoot well. The same rule applies to ammo. HMB

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ditto to HMB

9. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I had a Beretta with the Optima chokes.

I would have my wife read my breaks and she would always tell me the factory Mod tube broke targets considerably harder than the factory Imp Mod @ 16 yards.

Practice after practice it was always the same thing. I thought she was nuts.

I took the barrel & chokes to Stu Wright at the Missouri State Shoot and as soon as he put the bore mic in the barrel with the IM choke he said "this tube is junk, I'm surprised it will break targets at all."

A bad choke is not beyond the possibilities.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Yes, a bad choke is alltogether possible....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.