1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup Gun - Really necessary?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluedsteel, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

All;

Is having a back-up trap gun really necessary? I know we all enjoy buying new guns, and having an excuse to buy another trap gun is nice...but is a back-up gun really necessary, or even desirable?

My regular gun is a Browning XT, and it works very well for me. I have a package of unopened replacement parts (springs, pins, etc) that I keep with my trap kit. I take care of the XT, and keep it clean and lubricated. Recently, I succumbed to temptation and purchased a "backup gun". It is a nice trap shotgun, but, I can't shoot it as well as my XT. Even though the dimensions are similar, I just can't get it to perform for me as well or as consistently as my XT, hence, it is never used in registered events. There are subtle changes in the sight picture, etc that I must get up to speed with before my scores reach the level of the XT.

I would imagine that if one were a daily shooter, one could get acclimated to two guns, and shoot them both equally well...perhaps...

But, I am a weekend or every-other-weekend shooter, and now I am thinking of selling my backup gun.

Have any of you been at a big shoot, had your primary gun fail, and used your backup gun successfully?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

2. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

My back up gun is the same exact gun. All of the adjustments are the same. If my primary one fails, I just grab the other.

Why would you want a "back up" gun that is not the same....? Wouldn't that just be called an extra gun?

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The failure you are waiting for will probably never happen. What might happen is a broken ejector. If the gun breaks, just withdraw. If you are really compelled to shoot, your friends will be more than happy to loan you a gun. Which is about the same as shooting your back-up. I shoot two different guns, one for singles/handicap and another for doubles. I could use my doubles gun for singles/handicap but since I do not practice those games with that gun, who knows how it might come out.

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I'm one of those guilty of using "backup gun" as an excuse just to buy another gun, and then another. You always need two backups, right?

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

<<Why would you want a "back up" gun that is not the same....? Wouldn't that just be called an extra gun?>>

MGeslock;

Simple point, but point well made.

I think I will sell the "extra gun".

Jeff

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I bought a 'backup' gun, a 391... And now I shoot it better than my K-gun.....crap.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I guess my backup gun is just an extra gun if you want to call it that, but any gun you use if your main one breaks in the middle of a shoot I would consider a backup. I have a Mod 12 trap I keep as a backup/extra just in case my K80 goes TU.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I carry a spare receiver and forend iron as a back up gun. I don't worry about my stock breaking. The ejectors in my barrels have broken but that does not prevent the gun from shooting.

Pat Ireland

9. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Anyone who shoots a Browning needs a backup gun if you intend to continue shooting if the gun has to go to someone like Allem or back to the factory for repairs. And it doesn't have to be a poorly maintained gun for it to break. It will be a long time before you see it again. I did and it was.

Andy Moreland

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Not if you have a Ljutic.

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i have shot my rem 1100 for 30 yrs with no problems.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We will all need backup guns soon but not for trap

13. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Back ups, spares, call them what You wish....A great excuse to own a few more guns!!

FN

14. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Been thinking about getting a back up receiver and fore-end iron.

Not so much because a breakdown would make me pull out of a particular shoot, but because it might take a couple of weeks or a month plus in shipping both ways and repair time during the middle of trap season to get the gun back.

I've got a backup gun, but its different - 682 vs K80. This year I was having some work done on the K80 so I transitioned to the backup in the spring, then back to the K80, and finally to the K80 unsingle barrel when it was finished in July.

Its doable, but I'm thinking a quick switch of a receiver would sure simplify things.

Anyone have an older K80 receiver they're interested in trading?

Jim

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

With gun repair persons getting scarce you had better have some sort of plan. I have been to some fairly large shoots this year where there was no place to get a gun fixed. If you want to continue then you better have a backup/extra in the trunk.

Don

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

not if you have a seitz

17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I am surprised that one would still be competitive with a gun that was different from your primary trap gun. I hear all the time how it takes like 5,000 rounds to get really comfortable with a trap gun, and learn its idiosyncrasies, etc. Each model of gun has a different balance point, rib profile, trigger pull, stock shape, etc.

So, unless you cloned your primary gun (as some have suggested), I don't see how you could shoot a secondary gun as well.

I know you could shoot it, but could you shoot it as well?

I do see some shooters who use a single for singles and caps, and a double for doubles, but those are different games, and having two guns in that case seems workable...but other than that, I don't know.

I did send my XT off for some stock enhancements, (which were beautifully done), and that is when I got weak and bought the backup gun. I learned enough about it to shoot it pretty well, but not at the level of my XT.

If I had to "run to the trunk and grab it" (my backup gun) during a shoot, yes, I could finish, but I doubt my score would be any good.

All kidding aside, I do think one can own too many guns. Not for political reasons, but simply because after a while, all those guns own you. Been there.

Jeff

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If I'm going to a big shoot for a week or so I always have at least 3 guns (unless I fly) with me. Singles/handicap gun, doubles gun, then the 1100 also. If the singles gun breaks then I will shoot the doubles gun, if the doubles gun goes down I can use the 1100.

I've only had a gun break once for me in competion, and that was the first registered shoot I ever shot.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The more you shoot different guns the better you will be. I have broke 99s this year with a 682, mod 12, MX7 and a 391 but my 100s have come with my regular K80. Point, if you don't think you can shoot a gun well you won't. All these guns shoot approximately in the same spot and I have confidence in them.

I also shoot them when I don't have to because it's fun.

Don

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Back up,,,,its my first trap gun and now my pheasant gun,,,686 beretta,,28 in barrels,,,have shot over 20,000 targets with it,,,know where it will shoot,,,,now I shoot a 682 gold E,,,,and yes I have had to use the back up,,,not because the 682 broke,,,because my shoulder popped out during the first 100 of a 200 bird singles match,,,,shot a 94 ,,,took the gun for a gra coil ,,at pa state shoot,,,shot a 91 with the "back up",686,,could barley lift the gun,,,,and had the 682 back in time for the handi cap monday nite,,,with out the back up ,,,the day would have been wasted,,,any shoot more than 30 miles from home and the back up goes with me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are backup guns necessary