1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backsighting: Fact or Fiction???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Yes!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A wonderful technique, mastered only by a very few. HMB

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

James Russell wrote about "Backsighting" in his books supposedly based on an interview with Daro Handy. Daro has his own book where he describes "Noticing" the front bead in your peripheral vision while focusing on the target. At No Time in Daro Handy's book does he ever say to look at the front bead in fact he says just the opposite. James Russell on the other hand gives the impression that you are supposed to "look back" at the gun to get the bird/bead relationship and this is a wrong idea. Whether or not James Russell misunderstood what Daro told him is another question but in any case Russell did not describe the method very well at least to my way of thinking.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What would be the advantage of doing this?

5. pfofml

pfofml Member

I attended a Frank Little clinic and he stressed "bird-bead relationship". I am not sure of how he expected his students to focus on the target and also identify the "bird-bead relationship. Perhaps he had trained himself to distinguish both target and bead. Perhaps.

Peter Falk III

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Peter.....Are you THE Columbo?

7. pfofml

pfofml Member

Hipshot3

I have been called Columbo. As for "THE Columbo", my father was graced with that name.

Peter Falk III

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I am almost AA27 with no beads. Go figure.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It's interesting (and somewhat disgusting too) that Saws01 would start a thread and then delete his own post.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I never look at the bead, but always see the bead bird relationship in my peripheral vision. Or almost always.

11. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Having worked on several All=American's guns I do know several of them that back check the bead in front while going after the target. I have tried this method and it is the most difficult thing I have ever tried. I would not recommend this to any shooter that I was working with. But one guy I have worked that back checks can switch back and forth between pull and release triggers during an event with no ill effect. I have also tried this and I can tell you that I am not that gifted. There is really no right or wrong way to shoot targets but each person needs to find which method works for them and stick to that method until perfection is obtained.

Dennis DeVault

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Dennis, we had an excellent thread last April 11th called "Bird/Bead Relationship" and the link to this is shown above.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks Dennis! I know the man you refer to above and he is an excellent shot, either way he chooses!

Explaining the way we see different things with a direct look or something off to the side of that object (peripheral vision) has to be one of most difficult writing chores ever! To be totally understood by all which isn't gonna happen.

Bead checking/back-sighting falls right in there also. Looking ahead of a moving target to where it's going isn't bead checking, that's spot shooting. Bead checking is attempting to measure the distance between the bird and bead and slowing down or stopping the gun's move during that process. As my friend said, many methods work and work well! Some are easier to use once the process/program is ingrained in the data processor. Creating a relationship between two moving objects is all about the eye/eyes ability to do so, not some sub-conscience mystery. JMHO Hap

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Peter......Thanks! If your dad was,in fact, the movie Columbo, then he was my favorite and one of the best EVER! Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

backsighting when shooting trap