1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backround check delay response

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

Last time I went to buy a gun I got a "delay" response from the NCIS backround check system. I am going to buy a gun this weekend and I am wondering what the odds are that this will happen again. This will be my second gun purchase ( the first was the delay). Since I am in the system now would that make it work a little quicker. Any input would be appreciated. JB

2. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

Expect to be delayed again. I get delayed everytime. I don't even wait for the call to be completed anymore, just complete the transaction and come back the next day. Pain in the hiny, but nothing to do but complain. FWIW, Dutch.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

It's up to the examiner that is taking the NICS call if you will be 'delayed'. I have a friend that got into some legal trouble 20 years ago, had the conviction expunged, and was still delayed. His previous gun purchase from me was a 'proceed'.

I asked the examiner on the phone, who made the decision to delay and he said he did. I had to mail a copy of the expunged notification to the NICS center, and received a mailed notification to proceed.

It doesn't take much to run up a red flag with the examiners, not much at all.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Usually if you are delayed it will happen again, over and over, or at least it has for most that I have called in for. I don't know how true it is but I was told that even high speed tickets can flag you. I've had people that bought six or eight guns in a 60 day period and are never delayed and then others are delayed every time. One young man I know was charged with drug dealing but charges were eventually dropped but yet he is delayed every time he tries to purchase a gun. Thats why I now have a CCW(no, I was never delayed before I got my ccw) and I don't have to call on my purchases any more. Jackie B.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Probably makes it a cinch, too, goose. Har! Har!

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.