1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Background checks at BMW and Dollar General

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by trapperwads, Jun 18, 2013.

1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Just caught part of a news story in that some organization doesn't want BMW and Dollar General doing background checks on new hires saying its discrimanatory against minorities and immigrants. Does that indicate an admission that these groups are more prone to breaking the law? Anybody know more details?

2. perezal

perezal Member

I think backgrounds checks are ok. It's up to the manager to hire the person anyways.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Seems the qualification to get a job at a Dollar Store in our area is to have half your exposed body covered in tattoos and to have your head look like it was in a tackle box when there was an explosion

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My company requires proof of eligibility to work in the US and there is a background check as well as a drug test and physical exam. These are reasonable things for a company to do and the eligibility to work requirement is the law. (unfortunately not enforced as it should be).

Now that being said, we do have a diverse work force that includes all racial groups. That is fair, don't judge (or prejudge) a person by their skin or accent but rather judge by their credentials and abilities.

I'm with you Catpower, what is the deal with all this ink and piercing that young people feel the need to mutilate their bodies with? Its sad and repulsive and the statement it makes to me is that they have no pride in their appearance and want everyone to know it.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why would liberals be upset about this?

Because of VOTES.

Liberals have pulled out all the stops to try to allow as many felons as possible to vote from prison. So now the payoff comes. Liberals need to ante up for those votes, so they want to make it more difficult for businesses to hire honest law-abiding citizens.

Because of lawlessness by liberals.

Many liberals are violating drug laws, and some have been convicted of it. Liberals don't want their doper voters discriminated against. Liberals want the doper vote.

6. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Some youths, that have several tatoos mentioned that their body parts could be id'd by their tatoos. A gruesome but forward liberal view, I guess.

Kinda like "The illustrated Man" blown to pieces and put back together like a jig saw puzzle.

Made me think...

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I read about a trial where a company lost the case because they wouldn't hire a person because he was a convicted felon

I wouldn't want a convicted felon working for me, might not look too good most of our work is in banks

8. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I take a drug test and background check as a condition of employment as a guard for a government contractor. I have no objection to that. I think any employer, business owner or stockholder has the right to determine who they hire. I wouldn't want my company subject to a burglary by a former felon. Now..back to the original question...who is making these demands...is it a government agency or some left wing radical group?

9. Brian in Oregon

Some companies here are having a hard time finding employees because of the high number of applicants failing the whiz quiz.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The hit on criminal background checks, is that said checks are racially discriminatory per se.

Since most crime is black-on-black, or black-on-white, guess who shows up on databases with criminal backgrounds more often?

Best, Dennis

11. Brian in Oregon

ROTFLMAO. There is NOTHING racist about that.

If these black OR WHITE OR BROWN OR YELLOW OR RED criminals don't want the consequences of their actions, then they should not break the law.

Thanks for the chuckle, though. You're in the running for dumbest post of the year.

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Catpower,

Too damn funny, but, true.

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Now..back to the original question...who is making these demands...is it a government agency or some left wing radical group?"

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:

"A BMW manufacturing facility in South Carolina, and the largest small-box discount retailer in the United States violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act by implementing and utilizing a criminal background policy that resulted in employees being fired and others being screened out for employment, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission alleged in two lawsuits filed today....The EEOC will assert claims of disparate impact, in both cases, against African Americans."

14. Brian in Oregon

What utter nonsense.

The ONLY possible case that could be made for BLACK felons not being hired is if WHITE felons ARE hired.

Both classes of felons are not being hired. Therefore there is no racial discrimination.

Of course, I don't expect loony liberals to understand this concept.

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Welcome to the magical world of "disparate impact".

Under this incredible legal theory, BMW, for example, can be found guilty of illegal racial discrimination even though their workforce may exactly mirror the racial makeup of the local community if their hiring practices have an unintentional "disparate impact" on protected group applicants.

Forbes: "The U.S. Supreme Court today agreed to hear a challenge to one of the Obama administration’s most potent anti-discrimination tools, the statistics-based method known as disparate impact.

The case, Mt. Holly Gardens Citizens in Action v. Mt. Holly, represents the first direct assault on disparate impact to reach the Supreme Court since the administration was accused of engineering a settlement that squelched another such challenge by the city of St. Paul, Minn.

By taking up Mt. Holly, the court will be able to pass judgment on the controversial policy, under which governments, lenders and others can be found liable for discrimination even if they had no intent of mistreating members of minority groups."

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

To be permitted on any public shool construction site in our state, all construction employees must pass a background check. Even me.

I find it amusing that one State demands compliance while another government entity demands we look the other way.

WTH!

17. Brian in Oregon

States rights mean nothing to Obama. Look what happened to Arizona.

18. klightfoot

klightfoot TS Member

Just consider the source of the criminals. It's not racist if they did a crime.Quit sugar coating it.

19. Brian in Oregon

What really cheeses me off about all this is the duplicity of the liberals.

They want to push their agenda of "criminal rights", with voting in jail, ability to get a job where the employer wants them or not and other crap, while at the same time ensuring that some misdemeanors result in loss of gun rights forever. In fact, felons used to be able to apply to have their Second Amendment rights restored at the federal level, but BATF will not process the applications because congress refused to fund the program.

Basically liberals are cherry picking issues so they can get votes in return.

The old saying "follow the money" has a liberal version called "follow the votes".

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cheeses you off Brian?

Haven't head that expression before - guess it works though.