1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Background at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Just-A-Shooter, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Is the background about the same on all banks at the Grand? I am assuming that it is all farmland the full length.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The answer is a lot closer to "yes" than "no."

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

What V-10 said.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist. Actually V10 is right. There is one group of banks around 13-16 that has this house and some out buildings. The rest is really just greenry. There is however a road the runs the length of the 120 traps. Occasionally a car/truck will go by. Wouldn't think it as bad as a 747 but you know how some people are.

I will post the pic of the background as soon as it allows me. Having troubles for some reason.

5. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Well I guess the real question is as long as we can choose our section are any sections really not desirable?
    Any sections better just from the stand point of the background.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Section 1 is on the west end. The background is a distant berm out near the road. Banks 3 and 4 are combination trap/skeet fields. Shoot-offs are conducted on the traps that comprise banks 3 and 4.

Section 2 is the western-most section on the east end. Banks 5 and 6 have the tent vendors behind them.

The background for most of the east end is trees and/or distant fields.

Bank 9 (I think) has a slight dip in the berm that permits the occasional vehicle to be seen driving by. Some people are bothered by this. Since traffic on CR18 is minimal I think they're just looking for an excuse.

7. Don S

Don S Member

I remember shooting on bank one a few years ago. A Pepsi truck drove by when I called for my bird. Of course the bird came out right in the middle of the red logo. I was very shaken and surprised when I did break the target.

8. grntitan

Tell ya what. I'm gonna be out there at the end of this week shooting. I'll take some current pics to go along with all of "V10's" sections listed above and we will all have an idea where to squad this year.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Wow, an airplane at SPARTA! Now we're getting somewhere. Real shooting Grounds have to have airplanes. 45 years at Vandalia,I never shot a plane. I did'nt know they were there until I saw this picture. Clyde

10. grntitan

Here is the dreaded house that many try and avoid. I have shot these banks and it didn't seem to bother me. The house is located on the East Banks from around the 13 to 16 Banks. Its a long way out there and on the other side of the County Road 18. Really not an issue IMHO.

[​IMG]

The rest of the East Banks look much like this. It is more grown up now than it was when these were taken. The road and vehicles are not visible from the majority of the banks anymore from the growth of the greenery.

[​IMG]

I will get some current pics of the background Wed from one end of the line to the other. They are all really good backgrounds. I can't think of one that is terrible. I prefer shooting the middle of the East line.

And this pic is just neat looking.

[​IMG]

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's not the same all the way down the line but all provide for a sky background in the break zone. It's pretty uniform.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The background would be a lot better if the DNR would mow a couple weeks before the Grand and even up the grassy area about 15 yards and beyond the front of the traps.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

At least I have not had a plane take off or land over my head at Sparta. Now that is background.

Don

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Or make us stop shooting for hours while the VP (Chaney) landed/took off!!!

15. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

you know though, youre not supposed to be looking at the background when shooting a target.........

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Excuse me grasshopper but it is pretty hard to look at the target with seeing the background. Blue, green or big airplanes or movement.

Don

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The haze background from the heat is consistant on all the traps. Like grntitan says, "sorry, couldn't resist"

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm still looking for the house in the first pic.............

Wayne

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Come on! Get serious,Airplanes at Vandalia. Never shot one down in 45 years.OT

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hey Grntitan, what are you doing posting MY picture of the plane at the Grand in OHIO??? get your own photos!! lol- Frank C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vandalia trap shooting pictures of airplanes taking off inthe background