1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backfire on a Nobel Sport 28ga. Shell

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's gary's photo.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=100_0179.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen that happen on a 20ga shell once. The primer detonated out of the back and pushed the center of the shell forward, almost opening the crimp in the process. It looked like the primer was at fault, since what remained in the shell looked wrong. The center appeared not to have been properly punched through and vented. Part of the cup was blown forward into the powder, which did not ignite. It was a foreign made bargain shell which will go unnamed. Naming it would obviously start a flame war, since some people apparently have shrines set up to worship these shells.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never seen anything like this. Obviously a lot of pressure behind the case head. I hope some good theories describing how this happened come forward.

Pat Ireland

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Here is the Nobel Sports website with contact info.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take the fired primer out. See if the shell has the hole leading to the powder charge. They may have forgot to put one in or it may be blocked. HMB

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Mr Charles,

I suspect (do not know for sure), that Quack Shot is right - the primer was sealed, or nor fully opened at the orifice that would normally guide the flash into the powder charge. This causes the pressure wave to look for an alternative exit - the base of the primer, as a function of how it works, must be soft metal (firing pin strike must deform it in order to start the process in the first place), and thus it is the most likely spot where the pressure wave will exit.

All other aspects of the gun and shell would force the rearward moving pressure to push the base of the shell forward, off of the breach face and essentially trying to drive the entire shell forward into the barrel. The rim of the shell would resist this action and hence you would tend to see a forward movement of the center of the shell base while the rim would tend to stay in place.

If this deformation were significant enough you might see separation of the plastic from the base - as others have described.

If you still have it, I would look at the 'mouth' of the primer, for I suspect you will see it is restricted or closed entirely.

Scary one there.

David D

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Mr. C.....got your message, but have misplaced your #. Please call again!!!

Ken Rucker

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The Bump-Buster strikes again!!! LOL!!! Tell all the guys I said "GOOD SHOOTIN'"!!!

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.