1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backboring ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

I have a 682X combo I purchased in About 1992 and is in pristine condition, I have since bought a KX-5 and use it for all my singles and handicap. I was thinking of making the Beretta a dedicated doubles gun and was wondering what it would roughly cost to have the barrels back bored and cones lengthened and who would be recommended to do this job. Is it worth the expense?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

claydstr - I would send all of my barrel work to Tom Wilkinson. I have known Tom for many years. He is a very careful and precise barrel worker and person.

Your second question "is it worth the expense" is more difficult to answer. First, you will not see a dramatic change in your scores after this work was done. You will gain confidence that you have an excellent barrel. It is my guess, and it is a totally unsupported guess, that a superior barrel may pick up an extra bird now and then. For 27 yard handicap this could be quite important.

Pat Ireland

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I just anguished over the very same question. I decided to not send my DB-81 O/U barrels to Tom, but sent him my single barrel instead. My doubles scores are doing very well with the barrels as they are, but, my handicap scores can definately use all the help I can get. I just got the DB-81 single barrel back from Tom yesterday and have not had a chance to shoot it yet. It was originally a .725" bore with a .032" choke and Tom tuned it to a .741" bore and a .035" choke. In my opinion, the handicap barrel is the one I want to spend my money on.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dan, what exactly is the expected end result of the Wilkinson tuning? Is it based on increasing pellet count at a given yardage? Do you have to give him a yardage indication at which you want to optimize your pattern? Everyone shoots at different speeds, especially long yardage. I too have considered sending a barrel to Tom, but was unsure what my expectations(or his)would be.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Setterman... The end results of having Tom do your barrel are increased pellet count AND more even distribution of the pellets at a given yardage. There should be some reduced felt recoil as well due to the back boring and forcing cone work. I can only answer for myself, but I had Tom set the barrel up for a 27 yard gun. How fast or how slow you shoot your given yardage should have a very minimal effect on the pattern once he sets it up. I'm not sure having a barrel tuned by Tom, or any other barrelsmith, is for everyone, but I believe that spending $400.00 is a small price to pay to give me the peace of mind and the confidence that I am shooting the very best barrel and choke I can buy. I have invested a lot of money over the years in a lot of different things trying to become the best shooter I can. A lot of them were totally worthless and a waste of money and time. In my mind, my barrel will be the consumate barrel available to me for shooting long yardage handicap. The cost to do the barrel: $400.00. Having ultimate confidence in my equipment: PRICELESS.... Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

clayduster, I am not a fan of Beretta barrels, and much less a fan of their chokes. I would do as PBB suggests, but only take enough metal out of the bore to make sure it is straight, smooth and all the chrome is removed. I surely would not go beyond the .732 the Optima bore barrels come with. Forcing cone and choke work is a given.

I sold my Optima O/U barrels because I couldn't stand them. I was going to buy a good 682X and have Skeets do just what you are planning. He is the one who recommended taking just enough out to remove the chrome and smoothen and straighten everything. He was also going to cut me new chokes out of barrel steel and do the cones. I never did because the gun was sold before I could get to it.

I like Tom Wilkinson's work and was really pleased with the barrel he did for my MX-15. However, he likes .740 bores and I think that is way too much to open up a .725 bore to, especially a Beretta barrel.

7. Mike G

Mike G Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Forgot to mention the gun does have choke tubes (mobil chokes) and my question regarding whether it was worth the cost was directed towards if I would be better off to buy a set of Optima barrels to have fitted to the receiver or have barrel work done on the current set of barrels. Thanks. Mike

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You are better off modifying your barrels. Briley has a package for around $375 that includes all you ask for plus the installation of their long, thin-wall chokes. I'm sure Skeeets or Wright can do the same. You can also take less metal out and still use the original Mobil choke threads. In that case you want extended tubes. There is no doubt in my mind that you will end up with better performance that way vs. new unmodified Optima barrels.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If the gun shoots straight - a little higher with the first shot is nice, why do anything besides putting in Mod in the first barrel and full in the other?

Neil

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Don't you think Beretta might know how to build barrels after 500 years in business? Let me know when you find a gunsmith with that much experience.

jim brown

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

why would anyone want to spend money on weakening a barrel by removing metal from it? there is not an altered shotgun in the world that is worth more than it was in original condition. let's quit trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.