1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backbored optima barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by releasebob, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. releasebob

releasebob Member

I bought a beretta single barrel a while back and it is the softest shooting barrel I have ever shot,I pulled the choke out the other day to clean it and it was marked "backbored .747 .041".I had a friend with a bore mic check the barrel and it has been bored to.747 anyone else have experience with a backbored optima barrel?My next question is since it only came with one choke tube and I am assuming I shouldn't use a regular optima tube who could make me one it's a little tight for singles.BOB

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Can't remember what my optima is but I think it it a bit smaller than that, around .741 I think....is the barrel chromed on the inside??? if not chrome, it has been opened up.

tony

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've measured are .736-7"..............merlyn

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I just went and checked 3 different barrels, they mic. .731 - .730, the inner diameter on the skirt of the choke tubes I checked measured around .740.....

so you would have a problem, Briley can make one for you that will work.

tony

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Optima barrels taper from the forcing cone all the way to the choke. The barrel bore diameter will depend on where you took the measurement.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My Optima 391 doesn't. As Merlyn said...mine measures a steady .736 from the cones to just before the choke.

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I have 2 from Kerry Allor @ .740 and they shoot soft and very well with his custom chokes.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

no they do not taper all the way there is a parrell bore section between forcing cone and the choke

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Between my son's and my trap combos, we have six Optima barrels - they all measure .731" or .732" with no taper. Every Beretta trap gun with Optima barrels that I've measured has been between .730" and .732".

Ed

10. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Mine are like Ed’s. I have two combo’s with optima barrels and they measure .730 to .732 on my Skeet’s bore micrometer.

Dale

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

You will need custom made chokes based on the bore diameter which is the correct way to install chokes. Lots of chokes have the bore diameter marked on the choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.