1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Backbore question...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Clay McCracken, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

I have a Beretta 391 with an adjustable rib and comb that has been backbored.

I use it for everything from Trap to skeet, 5-stand, shooting clays from a hand thrower, trick shooting, etc.

My question is IF the chokes are the factory chokes, can I ever get a true "skeet" or "cylinder" constriction?

As I undersand it, the choke is the difference between the bore and the choke tube. If the bore is opened up, the chokes will effectually tighten the pattern across the choke tube rane.

So how do I get a fast opening pattern for close in shots with a backbored gun?

Mike T.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My factory backbored Remington 1187 trap barrel constricts just before the choke tubes, allowing normal dimension choke tubes to be used (though they are remarked taking into account the bore has a .018" constriction built in). This means putting in a true cylinder tube, zero constriction, would have a constriction ahead of it of .018", making it a mod or light mod.<br>
    <br>
    So I thought, hey, maybe for sporting clays, I could put in a skeet spread choke of maybe -.008", effectively making the constriction .010".<br>
    <br>
    Didn't work. The barrel still shot a mod or light mod pattern.<br>
    <br>
    My conclusions are:<br>
    <br>
    Do not use a backbored barrel built like this for any shooting requiring a choke more open that the built in constriction;<br>
    <br>
    If you want a backbored barrel, then get an overbored barrel, which does not have a built in constriction, but rather, uses special chokes for that bore. The new Remington chokes for the Competition are set up this way. The choke tubes are physically larger in diameter than the old Rem Chokes;<br>
    <br>
    Or, just use a normal non-backbored barrel with open chokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.