1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Back yard chicken coop

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Here's the rebuilt coop we originally got for free. New hinges, some paint and engineering and we're ready to roll. When my daughter asked that it be moveable around the yard I was stopped short because I had no idea how to make that happen. How do you connect a wood box to a larger wire box and have it be semi-permanant so you can take them apart and relocate them?

In one of those ah hah moments I figured we could make two picture frames around the wood box - screw them together on both sides of the wire wall. Then cut out the wire and slide the wood box in place. It works fine, but alignment can be a problem on an uneven yard.

Wheel barrow type handles on each side and cheap lawn mower wheels finished the job. Hog rings hold the wire panels together. The whole family joined in. Holga is taking the picture.

Waiting for eggs now. Sheila, Nugget and Mango will have to deliver. (Tippie died.)

Begawk.

[​IMG]
  2. EEB

EEB Member

Google "chicken tractor".
  3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I had no idea...now that is very nice.
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

If the raccoons get into the chicken coop are you going to change your mind about coon hunting?
  5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I'm smarter than the coons, but I do have to admit I thought about some of those sub sonic 22 shells.

Time to kill the grubs and REMOVE THE FOOD SOURCE.
  6. cueguy

cueguy Member

Chickens are a lot of fun and the eggs taste a lot better than the egg farm eggs in the store. We own 7 acres and our chickens are range free although we hatch our own eggs and keep them in a tractor for about 3 months and then let them range . We lose most to predators over time. We hatched 30 about 4 months ago and just recently lost 6 in one day to the neighbors dog. I have the 9mm ready for the next time it steps in the yard. We have lost a few to coyotes and coons. Even after all that, I still have a great time with the chickens.
    You will really enjoy the chickens. Just don't get to down when you lose one. I have found out that chickens have a very short shelf life.
    Nubs Wagner
  7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

My sister-in-law tried her hand at a chicken coop. She shared eggs with the family for a while, but a bobcat got most of the chickens. If it had been a coyote I could have shot it, but a bobcats here require a special license and tag, and have a short winter season. Thus they often act with impunity around chicken coops.
  8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

So far Mr. Coon has been leaving our chickens alone. Daughter doesn't want grubx spread on the yard because the chickens might eat it. So she's going to look into a non poisonous grub killer - I think it's called Milky Spore. She's motivated to resolve the conflict. Let's see what happens.

Begawk!
  9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Mr. Coon showed up last night. We were watching tv when Johnny and I heard a chicken hit the back door with her beak. When I opened the door one of the hens came in the house. Then I saw those two little beady eyes and ears back by the tree line. Off he went and we set about putting the chickens safely back into their coop.

New rule: daughter can't leave the house with the chickens out. Before dusk they must be put back in their coop.

The chickens are still free loading. No eggs and we're on our second bag of feed. They're much bigger now and Johnnie's outside cat leaves them alone completely. Must be that sharp thing on the end of their head.
  10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

30W754 Woodwind Drive,
    Naperville, IL 60563
  12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

312.5 miles is too far for a house call or i'd fix your problem for good. :)
  13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I'll ship 'em your way. Do you want them dead or alive?
  14. Tron

Tron Active Member

I find this thread very egg-citing.
  15. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Chicken have to be 18 weeks old before they start to lay. We got 30 this may, just started laying last week. We got 5 different breeds. There is nothing like fresh eggs for breakfast. You want to have fun. Throw a grasshopper in the pen, they will tear it up.
  16. Tron

Tron Active Member

Timd, you seem like an "eggs-pert" on this subject.
  17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The girl next door turned white when I told her I liked to cook the eggs while they were still warm from the chicken!

She said she would never eat them un-processed. I asked her to explain this "process". She had no answer...She drives 6 miles for stale "processed" eggs.
  18. Tron

Tron Active Member

Shannon, she was probably thinking that you were once again "eggs-aggerating".
  19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Boneless chicken dinner!
  20. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I have raised a few bunch of chickens but no eggs pert by no means.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.