1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back up gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by growler, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. growler

growler Member

I just started shooting not too long ago, and I currently only have one sporting gun. I have been looking at getting another gun in the next few weeks as a backup for when I go to PITA or ATA shoots. Would you recommend that my back up gun be the same make and model as the gun I am shooting with all the time.

2. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

A lot of guys just use their old gun for back-up, but it would certainly make the most sense to have as close to your current gun as possible as your back-up. It won't be exactly the same no matter how close you try to make it, but it would be better than having to switch to a totally different feel - possibly in the middle of an event.

FWIW, I've never needed to use a back-up gun in over 30 years of serious trapshooting. The chances of needing a back-up depends on what gun you are using.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

"Back-up gun" translates to "I just wanted to buy another gun". Never shot a back up gun but my "collection" of trap guns is BIG.

4. growler

growler Member

Ctreay,
    The other half thought it was also a good reason to go ahead and get another gun. lol

I currently shot a 686 berretta and have some money tied up in chokes (300 or 400) so I been looking at the other Beretta’s the 682 and the 687 can someone tell me the disadvantage and advantages from one over the other. I was told the 682 has a removable trigger to be able to replace it and the 687 does not.

5. warren

warren Member

The good ole Rem 870 always there and very reliable.

warren

6. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

The 682 does not have a "removable" trigger assembly. It has an adjustable trigger shoe that can be moved forward and backward to adjust the LOP. My 682 LTD came with two trigger shoes: one straight and one slightly canted to the right, which can be changed or adjusted by loosening one small screw, but the trigger assembly does not drop out of the receiver as do the truly removable ones. The Beretta DT-10 has a truly removable trigger assembly.

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I always bring a back up gun to tournaments and on long hunting trips. I have seen a lot of guns of all kinds, expensive and cheap, over-and-unders, pumps and autos, break. All guns have little parts in them that can and will break.

8. JUMBO

JUMBO TS Member

What ever you use as a backup make sure it is something your able to shot, i shoot a Zoli Ritmo as my regular trap gun about a 2 months ago i broke a hammer on it and they are very hard to find, so i have been trying to shoot my old model 12 winchester but it does not have a release trigger and i have a flinch, so my scores have suffered, i have used a dt 10 with a release trigger a friends gun, and again my scores have suffered, so yes i would recommend get something that shot like your regular gun. I have finnally found a hammer for my gun but my average has dropped about 5 rocks in the last 2 months. JC

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

Had a BPS trap as a back up gun for my Remington 3200. Got rid of the problematic 3200 and bought a 682. No need for a back up so I sold it and bought a SxS for hunting.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Is the 682 a Beretta. If so your gun must be unique in that it can't break or malfunction. I have seen several Beretta over-and-unders and autos break or malfunction.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I take my 870 Comp with me sometimes...but I've never had to use it to back up my Ljutic....'cause it never quits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.