1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back up gun-ever needed ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMITH47, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Have you ever needed a backup gun ?

I was reading an article by one of the top shooters and he said he has been carrying a backup receiver for many years and has never needed it. this is a statement from a person who shoots a LOT !

so i was wondering if people actually needed and used a backup gun ?

not like i need an excuse to have an extra shotgun ????

ernie

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

do you carry a spare tire in your trunk? suggest carry parts or the same type of gun.
    steve balistreri

3. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Krieghoff Model 32 started doubling at a shoot one time. Needed the back-up to finish. Had it repaired and it has never happened since.

It's either that or possibly have to use a gun belonging to someone else that may not fit you.

Your choice, but I vote for the back-up.

The Bayrat
    POC, TX

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Wish I had a backup 870 receiver. My TB cracked a week ago Sunday and I had loaned my hunting gun to a nephew. When it gets back home, it will be an organ recipient for the critical parts like barrel, stock, forend, tuned trigger, etc.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I carry a back up in order to change trigger mentality glitches. But only to ATA shoots. NOt to the club to only shoot proctice.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

savage99stan- email me about your cracked 870 tb receiver. sab1172@sbcglobal.net

steve balistreri

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

The fellow shooting with us this past weekend did. The ejector on his KS5 broke on the line during singles and he had to break out his K32 to shoot singles and handicaps.

--- Chip King ---

8. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

YES... at big shoots or where money is involved I carry one. Had to use it a year or 2 ago at Pa state shoot as I was shooting singles event my ejector broke-I kept shooting but a small piece was stuck in fore arm iron and gun was getting harder to close each time I shot until it would no longer close the action.

My truck was parked nearby and I told squad members I had a break down and also had a spare gun in my vehicle and could return in 2-3 minutes. Took a fast break and continued shooting with back up-took gun to Allems shop on wheels and it was fixed within 2 hrs or so.BUT I did finish up with my back up and was happy I had it along.

I carried one for many years and only had to use it once in competition.

I shot doubles there with a lady from NY-Mary was her name and I was amazed at how fast she could change out a P-gun trigger assembly right on the line-she always keeps a spare with her as a back up-trigger only-not entire gun.

And when gun goes for annual service I shoot the back up for a week or so until it returns home from shop. It's nice to have a back up if you can afford one.

crab

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

In 1990 I gave up on jamamatics as target guns for serious shooters. Prior to that, I not only had a back up, I had a back up for the back up. And... used them on several occasions.

Since 1990, my doubles gun has been the defacto backup for my sbt. I needed it once.

As a southpaw shooting release/double release the likelihood of borrowing something to finish a doubles event is slim. If my doubles gun fails, I'm pretty much screwed. On the other hand, when was the last time you saw a Browning O/U broke down on the line??

sissy

10. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Two years ago at the Southwest Grand my 1100 TC went down while shooting doubles. I always have a backup in my range cart so I went to the OU to finish the event. Total time was less that a minute before we resumed shooting. I never leave home with out a backup whether it be hunting or to the range.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rarely with Pguns. Usually can fix them in a few minutes.

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yes,,,several times,,2 wks. ago a friend broke his P Gun (non-drop out trigger) had to borrow a Doubles gun pull-pull (he has shot a release since he was 13) to finish (he still won). My XT has need help 2 times, yes I think I need a second,,,to cont. the shoot. Mine are lower dollar guns, XT Combo and B/U is BT99. Senior shooting for the last 6 yrs.
    norman

13. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Always have carried a backup for trap and for hunting. Have needed them on several occasions dropped the firing pin on my 870 and didn't have a spare on me. Once in the field I actually had my barrel shot in a goose pit that was a freak but avoidable accident one of those too many geese and not enough common sense moments for me and him. I am glad I had them both times and will continue to carry them with me.

Nick

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

No......thought about it a few times....but then I shoot a Ljutic....goes bang every time....

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I almost always carry a spare receiver for my K-80. But, for the last two weeks I have not because my spare receiver is on the gun while the ejector stop on my primary receiver is getting repaired. It should get back to me in a few days.

The ejector stops on a K-80 need to be built back up around every 300,000 rounds. I seem to need my spare receiver for a week or so about every other year. I guess I could conclude that K-80's break a few parts before they blow up.

Pat Ireland

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting ATA for 4 years now, and nearly every event has had instances where Perazzi guns have broken in one or more fashions. The guys that I know that own Perazzi's have probably the largest selection of backup pins and springs on earth. No kidding, at least 3 to 4 thousand dollars worth of backup hardware.

I too shoot a Ljutic. Goes bang every time...

I wouldn't own a Perazzi if it was given to me.

Bucko43

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Not a gun made they can't break a part. Anything made by humans will break eventually.

18. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

thank you Pat I always had a positive experience with the K-80 i owned

and you also miketmx.

my wife & i shoot a mx8 and have never had to call AAA

bucko43 is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

thanks,

folks

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hey Bucko, making up stuff makes you look like a fool.

20. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Hey Barry,

Not making up a thing here. Only speak the truth. I can give you names of the guys I am referring to, and I can also tell you they both drive large 4 wheel drive pickups with custom made compartments in the back to hold all their Perazzi hardware they carry to every shoot.

One of these guys not only had their trigger break during a shoot, he lost some pin and we had to stop for 5 minutes while he looked around on the ground for it.

Kinda funny though, the backup gun he went to get was his Ljutic.

He now shoots an Alferman - got rid of the Perazzi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.