1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BACK TO RED DOT=NEED FORMULA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

With powder being in short supply, I found 8#'s of Red Dot. I normally shoot Clay's but none seems available. 15 years ago I shot Red Dot, but do not remember the formulas. I want to equal my Clay's reload = AA, Green or Gold hulls, AA primer, Spolar 1 oz. wad [Windjammer?], 1 oz. of 8's, 17.4 Clays = 1,180 to 1,200 ft./sec. Hornady Bushing #447 = 17.4 of Clays. So someone put me close to this load. What bushing #? How much powder? [I will put it on an electronic scale anyway]. Estimate ft./sec. for a 1 OUNCE load. I have an Alliant book, but the formulas seem to be 1,150 or 1,200 and the bushing number for a Hornady is 453 = under 17 [16.5] grains and then it jumps up to 18 grains. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Thanks for your suggestions and don't change the powder on me [Red Dot is what I bought]. Fred

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link above. Get it firsthand.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have Alliant's book, but want something in between what they offer. Hoping that someone already had a load. Fred

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Red Dot is a fabulous powder. Try 18 gr with one ounce loads. 20 gr is spicy, and 16 gr is pokey. :^)

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Don't forget to write your letter of dissatisfaction to Hodgedon for discontinueing 4# and 8# containers..I did and hope alot of others do too

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

fred been using aa or sts hull aa clone and 17.5 gr for 1 oz and same for 1.1/16 oz w/windjammer clone . seems to work really well.
    Bob

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Loaded Red Dot with a 468 Hornady bushing. Claims to throw 18.0 of Red dot = 1,200 ft./sec with 1 oz. load. I will measure on scale today. Can't believe I have so many bushings. Will shoot on Weds. for results. Shells loaded well and crimped nicely. This is like Dejavu after using Clays for so long. Fred

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

EE: Because I was bored and only loaded 100 which I knew would be within a reasonable range to shoot. Loaded up another 100 after weighing the bushing drops and cut it down to 17.2/4. The first ones will just be very fast. I have loaded Clays for so long and never changed a bushing [447] -- that I had to find the scale. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.