1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to a pull trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

I changed my Ljutic back to a pull trigger today. Went to the range and shot a hundred targets with a sense of relief. I just wasn't safe enough with the release. If I had to break the gun open with the trigger held back and having to compress the release button with the other hand, well I had a couple of rounds get away from me and it freaked me out. Safety is no accident. I'd rather risk an occasional flinch than deal with that release. JMO.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

He is not to be commended. So he can't manage a release? So what? There are a lot of guys who are unsafe with a pull trigger.

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am very thankful you guys know your limitations! God, how tough is it to keep it pointed down range?! Tom Rhoads

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I seen a real Bozo TRY to shoot one of the best Release triggers made and shot the ground three times . Yes three times once before calling for a target .

The Bozo will remain name less . ( He was from Ohio and does the LJutic toss)

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Safety is the first consideration! If you can't handle the resetting of a release trigger perhaps you should be happy to flinch just once in awhile or take up golf. I spent a couple of hours alone on a range learning how to reset the release on my Ljutic when I first switched. Tried a couple of different method and settled on reaching over the action and pushing the button with the side of my index finger to reset the trigger. Haven't had an accidental discharge and make a point of keeping the muzzle pointed only in a safe direction down range. It's all up to the shooter..If you need a release, learn to accomodate it.

Big Jack

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Okay, since "b--- me" is no longer allowed on here, how about, oh never mind! Good one old man! Tom Rhoads

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You guys must shoot with some wild people . In all the years (1967) I have seen some holes in the ground and a trap house with a nice pattern or two . But you make it sound like it,s every time you go to the range . I,v shot a release trigger for along time and have had four or five accidental discharges . None hit the ground before the trap house and none hit the trap house .

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I would say that if you are so unco-ordinated or feeble that you can't work a release, you probably shouldn't be handling a loaded gun of any type. It is just not that hard.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My suggestion would be to change guns, releases or both!!

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am a rookie when it comes to using a release trigger. I would estimate that I have shot 4000 rounds with a release trigger since I started using one in March 2007. In that time I have had 1 accidental discharge. This was my 2nd shot using the release. Of course it discharged downrange and did nothing but make me aware of what I needed to do when utilizing the release trigger. I have since shot many rounds using a Super X-1, (semi-auto), a Model 12, (pump action) and my main gun, a Beretta 682. All one needs to do is be aware of the equipment you are using and what is needed to operate it in a safe and efficient manner. It should be noted that I shoot a pull trigger for sporting clays, skeet and trap doubles. All one needs to do is be aware. Dangerous?? Release triggers are no more dangerous than pull triggers. The only dangerous element is the operator. Ed

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Worth repeating - Dangerous?? Release triggers are no more dangerous than pull triggers. The only dangerous element is the operator. Ed

I enjoy the exchange we have here but I really do not understand why someone would write in here about changing back to a pull trigger because they could not figure out how to operate the gun properly. There are lots of stories and some of them involve pull triggers. My suggestion - reread the part about operators.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I suggest you wake up. Under normal conditions keep it pointed in a safe direction and your OK. But if something out of the ordinary takes place and the trigger is set, move your finger and BANG. HMB

13. oleolliedawg

If something out of the ordinary happens after setting a release the traphouse or sky takes a beating. Lots more bad things can happen to a pull trigger before the gun gets to your face!!

14. oleolliedawg

Pull trigger shooters should spend more time on the Golf course learning how to replace divots!!

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I shoot with a friend that does shoot a LJutic with a release and he has NO problem unloading a set trigger . But I have also seen some real acrobatics from shooters trying to open with a set trigger . I shot a Silver Seitz for Four years and it was not fun to cancel a release . It can all be done safely it,s just not pretty .

16. xb2dr

xb2dr TS Member

No offence intended to anyone but I really can't get my head around these release triggers??? I've never seen a car that someone had fitted a reverse accellerator pedal...? The main reason I understand that people fit release triggers is to overcome flinching - is this correct?. Get over it - guns don't hurt and the chance of your gun blowing up in your face is next to nothing so why flinch? Shotguns, rifles and pistols are all made to go bang when you pull the trigger. 99.99% of shooters can accomadate this. I don't care how long you have shot a release or how safe you think you are, side by side, a person shooting a release trigger is less safe than a person shooting a normal pull trigger. The one time where an oddball situation arises and your instinct takes over guess which shooter has the accidental discharge? Accidental discharges cause accidents. Accidents are not cool.

Brett.

17. oleolliedawg

Brett, your analysis simply defies conventional wisdom!!

18. xb2dr

xb2dr TS Member

oleolliedawg,

Did you misspell "defines" when you typed "defies"? If not, what did I say that was not true?

Brett.

19. oleolliedawg

So your saying that 99.9% of the country's top shooters should still be shooting a pull triger if they just get it through their heads their gun won't blow up? You may also try to understand that many games involve a release of energy-archery, darts, pool and throwing a ball are among them.

If you've been around this sport for any length of time you would realize that far more speaker cords and control boxes are destroyed by pull trigger shooters than releasers. I'd feel much more comfortable shooting alongside a releaser than someone who shoots a 2 lb. or less trigger while trying to combat a flinch!!

20. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Started out with a pull and would often say they should outlaw release triggers.

I got so bad with the pull I went to a release.
    I really don't think I could go back to a pull.

Anyone that thinks they are not safe with a release, and go back to a pull.

They have my respect.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.