1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back Surgury

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tmx, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmx

tmx Member

Any shooters out there had a lumbar spinal fusion and how has it affected your shooting?

Steve

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Steve, I`m fused from T9 thru L2.

I had to learn to swing at the hips,(now they`re getting arthritic, nice hugh? ) but you can still shoot, and in no time hard angles will be as easy as ever,( or in my case just as hard )LL.

Good luck if you have surgury, and keep at the theropy, it to gets easier as you progress.

Tom R.

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have had c3 and c4 fused but that is in the neck.I had a laminectomy on L4 and L5 and would not recommend that procedure.I wish I would of had them fused.Hope you make the right decision and feel better.

Darr

4. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

i had a laminectomy, and a spine fusion done on nov 19th of this year, (L3-L4), dont know if it helped..if you want to talk about it, i can be reached most days from 10AM til 10 pm at 518-608-4243. milt luther

5. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Need to know why you are having a spinal fusion. There are many reasons to have "back surgery", but of course not all back surgery is the same. Are you considering posterior spinal fusion, with or without instrumentation, or even interbody fusion.

Are you having it done because of degenerative disc disease? Spondylolisthesis? Spinal stenosis?

If you have pain in your legs when you walk (neurogenic claudication) and you have a degenerative spondylolistheis; then you certainly want to consider surgery. If you only have back pain from time to time then I would think long and hard about it.

what is your doctor endorsing?

Bill the back surgeon

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

tmx- due to spinal stenosis (L5) and two more bulging disks and one more ruptured (L3,4 and S1) I had a laminectomy (L5) in 2000. I knew when I woke up in the recovery room that the surgeon had fixed me. No more shooting (no pun intended) pain down my left leg. Was a bit stiff until I healed up but was back to shooting the next spring (had the op. in October after our season ended). I am VERY lucky to have come out of it as good as I have. I can still do just about anything I want to do, I just have to go about it a bit more careful than before. Can still ride all my motorcycles (road and dirt) although I must be conservative in my riding and no more jumping off high places. I think I can live with that!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I just had a close friend of mine go thru back surgery, he may have waited too long. He was losing control of his left leg. It appears nerve damage may be permanent. I hope he is not confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Check with a neurologist as well as an orthopedic surgeon. I know I may have to go under the knife in the near future. I'm contemplating going aprox 600 miles to the best hospital & doctors. If you don't live near a hospital that has a good record for the type of surgery you're considering, go someplace else. Very, very important is the problem with infections in the hospital you chose. Check out the incidents of staph.

Lou

8. tmx

tmx Member

Bigbill, I have all three of the conditions you mentioned. Had a
    laminectomy of L2-3-4 in October of 07. Had an injection in the back
    for right leg pain in Nov. of 07. I am going to the hosp. to begin a series
    of disk space injections tommorow (12-23-08)for pain in the left leg.The shot
    in 07 helped for quite a while but now the low back pain is almost constant.
    Don't know for sure yet what the Dr. is going to recommend.

Steve

9. 4xFergi

4xFergi Member

I would have to agree with Goose2. Once you have back surgury you will never be quite the same. Had L4-L5 fused 5 years ago and doing OK but never like before. I had high profile Dr. in Santa Barbara, Ca and even he said once a back patient always a back patient. I am at least able to shot. Good Luck to you.

10. gus in philly ata57

gus in philly ata57 TS Member

I have had 2 laminectomies.Done 20 years ago. I feel great no leg pain. I limit what I do no real heavy lifting or change a tire. I'm very happy with the results. I'm sure they have perfected these surgeries after so many years.Mine was done by a neurologist head of local trauma unit.

11. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

The fusion procedure is usually quite helpful for patients with spondylolisthesis. The fusion can really make the pain secondary to instabiility at the spondy much better. Are you going to have the same doctor do your revision??

My boss during my fellowship was 72 and he told me that once I operated on 100 people I would always have a busy practice doing Redo's. Good luck with your treatment, hope you get back to feeling good soon.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.