1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back surgery ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm finally going under the knife in the not too distant future. The question is---to all you you shooters who had lower back surgery, how long was it before you could return to competitive trap shooting?

Phil Berkowitz

2. gus in pa at work

gus in pa at work Member

6 months for me. But that was twenty years ago. I'm sure the surgery and recovery time has greatly improved now.

Mike Guscott

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Recovery times are getting better and better as surgery is becoming less invasive for some patients. It was a couple of months for me after a circumferential fusion before I started shooting, but my friend began shooting after 6 weeks (this was recent).

Two big things for a quick recovery that your doctor will no doubt tell you:

1) DO NOT SMOKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! If you do, you may take a long time to fuse, or never fuse at all.

2) DO NOT TAKE ANY ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES, for the same reason. Ibuprofen, etc. prevents a quick fusion. You'll have to take Tylenol or a narcotic/Tylenol blend.

Also, walk as much as you can, as early as you can. And let others do the heavy lifting for you!

Good luck!!! Jennifer

4. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Kim

5. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

What type of surgery are you having? On Oct 13 I just had lamenectomy at L4,L5,S1... was having severe sciatica for a year. found out I had spinal stenosis in that lumbar area. when they got in there herniated disc found [microdiscectomy] at L4-L5 as well that didnt show on MRI. Came out of surgery with ZERO pain. walked out of the hosp the next day with a 3 inch gash and 9 staples.

Asked the doc about shootin and he said two months. I said how bout one month? he says you be the judge you will know if its right. did alot of simulated dry fires, gun lifts/mounts, heat in the am and ice down at night. shot 700 registered targets exactly one month later. first round back a 94 from 26 yds. couldnt break 90 before that with all the pain and meds etc...

best thing i ever did that surgery... hope that helps you out. May the Lord bless you with excellent care and Healing. feel free to PM me with any questions. Jeff K.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had the same thing about 15 years ago. Got two metal rods in my back now and don't dare lay down in in the tub for a hot soak because I can't get up by myself. I came damned close to having my wife call the rescue squad. Plan on "months" of recovery and don't push it. Good luck

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

The man has not indicated the surgery that he is having....it can be anything from the lamenectomy to the insertion of metal and bone fusions.

Back surgery is NOT a definition of what he is having...its the most general of categories possible and its not possible to answer his question without more info.

Me...lamenectomy for the worst type of herniation (foraminal), 1 - 1 1/2" cut, out 8 weeks on advise of surgeon.

This may have nothing to do with the OP's situation.

cheers

Stephen Meyers

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm meeting with a new neuro-surgeon next Wed. I was told last year I was a candidate for surgery. Its almost a year later & the pain & numbness in my left leg has reached intolerable conditions.

This is my conditions based on my last MRI:
    1)Multi-level degenerative changes throughout the entire lumbar spine most severe involvement at the left L3-4 neroforamen with a lateral disc osteophyte complex & some mild mass-effect on the exiting L3 nerve root on the left.
    2) no high grade compressive lesion or central canal stenosis is seen
    3) Moderate to severe facet degenerative changes at the L4-5 & L5-S1 levels

This report was dated 1/6/2009

Hope the procedure is minmal at best

Phil Berkowitz

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Phil Berkowitz - tell the truth, I don't think any of us can forecast what your experience will be like or how long it will take to return to shooting. There is a neuro surgeon that pops up on the site from time to time regarding this subject, but my best advise is to speak with your neuro guy, ask ALL the questions you want...if you need to, go back again and ask more questions, and then do EXACTLY as he says post-op.

Drop us a line from time to time and tell us how you are doing.

best of luck

10. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Phil ,

You might consider discussing a "caudel epidural" with the new physician . I was having "typical" epis on 3 to 4 intervals and carried a folding chair when shooting skeet/trap .

The 1st "caudel" lasted 18 months with acceptable results -- no chair . 2nd is going on 16 months with similar results .

Regardless , good luck and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours .

Charlie

11. swine

swine Member

I had 4 back surgeries 95,99,05, and six weeks ago all in the same spot l4-l5-s1 this last time they wanteds to do a fuse said no thinks just had lamentomy disctomy . I had to miss the Missouri fall handicap cause i could nt stand up. all 4 surgeries i waited 2 months after surgery then started shooting again . if this is your first surgery dont rush it . ps i shoot a 90t. doctor told me to do what i could handle after surgery go slow i dont think you want to be shootin from a wheelchair in your old age i know i dont good luck
    larry

12. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

A caudal epidural? OMG, that was one of the worst procedures I ever had. And it didn't help at all. None of the epidurals ever did. I'm glad it helps somebody because I was beginning to think it was just a sadistic game pain management doctors play!

13. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I had fusion surgery on L3,L4.L5 in 1995 and again on L1 and L2 in 1997. It took awhile to recover from both but it was worth it. The only problem I have now is if I stand for a long time my back starts to hurt. In 2005 I had fusion surgery of the C2 through C7. I went back to shooting to soon and had to go back and have some of the screws removed as they started to back out. All is good now. Good luck.

Clyde

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

It's been 12 years since I had mine knifed and it still not good at all. I keep telling myself in time it will get better but it has not done it yet. Some days it is all I can do to shoot 50 rounds but 100 seems to be the limit on one of the good days.

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Has anybody had surgery for spinal stenosis? I have that in my c-spine and am NOT a happy camper. Pain shooting down my arms and muscle spasms every day. J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recovery time for back surgery fusion and rods