1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdogs, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have been told that I need a spinal fusion of the L5 and S1 verterbrae. According to what I have found on the Internet, there is NO lose of flexibility or range of motion resulting from the fusion of these specific verterbrae. The procedure is called a TLIF. It requires an incision in the back and a fusion of the verterbrae in question augumented by the installation of a small device with plates and screws. This is going to be done in a "minimally invasive" procedure through a small incision.

Has anyone had this done? What can I expect in terms of recovery time and overall outcome?

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

ps I had a friend who played NHL hockey for the NY Rangers for years after having 6 spinal fusions. This was over 30 years ago. The surgery must have improved since then.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

L4,L5,S1 Twice

[​IMG]

The hardware they removed before the re-do in 2009
    [​IMG]

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A person I shoot with had the same procedure-the hardware in the S1 are was irrittating him, he had 2 of those toggle screws removed after a year & half--he was shooting the next day.

Good luck with your procedure.

Phil Berkowitz

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had mine done at Princeton NJ in `85 and I don`t think they used any screws . L4-L5-S1 laminectomy and it took me 5 months to go back to work but that was then and they sure have improved . Next will be L3-L4 . The more they do the more restricted your movement will be . Never could touch my toes and don`t think I ever will .

6. goony

goony Active Member

I had one done a year ago and they still use screws. Mine was opened up again three weeks later because of a staph infection. You can expect to lose a great deal of motion. I can't bend over anymore. It's like a bike chain with rusted links. Part of my problem is I am 6'1" and I can't bend with my right knee due to acl replacement 4 years ago. I still shoot trap several times a week and find I have a hard time swinging on the hard left targets from station 1.

It took me about 2 months before I could shoot again. It might have been less time if it had not been for staph infection.

Good luck

Mike

7. grntitan

As far as mobility or flexibility goes, I lost a considerable amount. I can't bend over and touch the ground and I could before. I also had to learn to shoot with a different pivot point and style. Of course all this depends on the extent of your repair and the patient him/herself. I will bet you will lose at least a small amount. So when you consider a fusion is actually taking a joint that worked(moved) before and making it solid, you can see that it's almost a certainty that you will lose at least a small amount.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is a picture of the device they will use. My wife had hers removed recently. Now she has a condition called 'Flat Back'. They never told her that this might happen if she had it removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She now walks like a 95 yr. old woman all bent over. Think a lot on this and ask all kinds of questions. Best of luck to you. Mike

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I'm a lot more flexable than before surgery and don't have the severe pain. AJ

10. JEB

JEB Active Member

Have the same type of problem - L5/S1 and L4. So far I have met with both neurosurgeons and orthopods, and have a consult at the Mayo Clinic on Tuesday. When I asked the neurosurgeon what the recovery time is, he replied "at about 7 months you will be as good as you are going to be." Just remember that most back operations fail and the fault is usually because the patient does not follow instructions such as PT and lifting heavy loads too soon or improperly. One gal I know who is a pretty good shooter had major fusion done at Barrow Neurological in Phoenix a few years ago and will shoots 300 rounds a day. But she followed instructions to a T.
    Good luck,
    JEB

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

You have given me a lot to think about. Perhaps spinal fusion is not such a good idea. No one has reported good results. Is this a "last resort" procedure?

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

daniel440"I had implants on my L4,L5 and have not lost any mobility. The surgeon told me that fusing would really limit my range of motion and would only lead to further disks needing to be fused." This is what the surgeon suggested to my wife, more fusion. She is not going for that. Mike.

13. grntitan

"....., Is this a "last resort" procedure?"

All surgery should be last resort. As for having your spine fused together, I would most definately consider it last resort. Sometimes you just have no other choices as every case and patient are different. Get a GOOD Neurosurgeon who you trust.

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I met a neurosurgen who guarantees perfect results. He also does brain surgery so if your back surgery does not turn out so well he will do a lobotomy on your brain so you won't notice. Just funnin'.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had L4,L5,S1 fused in 2006. The discs were removed and cages put in , and then rolled over, and had the Harrington rods put in, and 6 screws. I can do whatever I want, I can lift 50lb. feedsacks, etc. I can't touch my toes, but couldn't before anyway, but I can bend over pretty well. My wife had the same thing done on L4 and L5 three years ago, and you can't tell it. She plays tennis 3-4 times aweek, and plays volleyball two nights aweek. If you need any more thoughts, you can PM me. Good Luck. Charlie Henderson

16. grntitan

For what it's worth, if you speak with any Surgeon/Doctor that guarantees you he can fix your pain issues, don't walk out of there RUN!!!

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Grntitan-good advice--no guarantees in surgery.

Phil Berkowitz

18. a budine

a budine Member

Had L4-L5-S1 fused in March of this year - results were (are) good. Before, I could not walk fifty feet without stopping and sometimes the pain in my legs would literally put me down. Tried therapy, drugs, injections - nothing worked. As a last resort - surgery. But, I wish I'd had it first and not wasted the time/money on the other stuff. Healing takes a while, and you absolutely must follow Dr's. order to the letter - then it seems to work out well. I was shooting in four weeks, still doing therapy for a little more range of motion, but I'm satisfied. Results, however, vary a lot - research your Dr. thoroughly and get comfortable with him/her. Haven't tackled the winter woodpile yet, but I'm optimistic. Good luck. ALB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.