1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BACK SURGERY OR PAIN KILLERS??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

For you who have had back surgery I'd like to ask a question..
    If before your surgery pain killers were working to control your pain, you went ahead and had surgery, did you have to continue with pain medication after your surgery? A couple of people I know take more meds now after their surgery than before.. what is your experience? thanks!

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

People die in surgery.....or shortly after from complications

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to have a lot of pain in my lower back, they removed my Gall Bladder and I have a lot less pain ... How the two woiuld be connected is beyond me but it worked just like the surgeon said it would ... The kidney stones were and are a different story ... I still have pain but nothing I can't live with and I'm tired of them cutting on me like a Christmas Goose ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My mom, who is now 94, had two back surgeries when she was 90. The surgeries were about 8 months apart and were to remove a bone spur and to rebuild vertebrae (twice). Before the surgeries, she was taking a large dose of pain killer 3-4 times a day and even this would not moderate the pain. The pain killers were addictive and were slowly destroying her mind and personality.

Because of her age, the recovery period after each surgery was about 3 months and it took about a year after the last surgery for her to regain most of her memory and personality.

Today, she takes a low dose of pain killer twice a day and is much happier and in better control of her faculties. The acute pain is gone but she still has arthritis in her spine that causes her pain.

During her 20’s, my mom was in a soviet slave labor camp in Siberia and was forced to work as a bricklayer for a while. She is tough but the heavy labor hurt her back.

I am amazed at the benefit that she received from the surgeries. She put off the surgery for many years until there was no other option if she wanted to retain her right mind. Pain killers can dull your mind so that you just don’t know anything or remember who your are or what you were.

Each individual is different and you need to council with your surgeon and understand the risks.

My mom outlived the priest who gave her the last rights and visited her often while she was in recovery.

Every day is a blessing from God.

Ed Ward

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Painkillers. If you've got the good stuff, you'll shoot better scores. Amazing things happen when you conscience brain stops giving a s**t and your subconscious does all the work.

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

If you can live with the pain killers and there is no significant side effects with the ones you are taking, I'd say stick with them. It is always better than letting someone cut on you. However, If you are on Vicadin or large doses of Ibuprofin then they will kill you eventually anyway.

Depending on the actual type of back surgery, if it is being done to relieve pressure on nerves, then you will feel like a new person after it is done. 80% of my firends and my wife all have experienced a slide back to the same pain they were having before the surgery.. This is because of scar tissue regrowth which ends up putting pressure back on the nerve.

Both ways suck! There is no good fix for this obvious bad design. If only they had designed us so all of the nerves were channeled thru a tube in front of the spine where they would have been protected, rather than inter-twining everything so it can fail or get pinched, I think we wouldn't be having this disussion.

I feel your pain, and have for 38 years.

Randy

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had spine surgery, but not Lumbar spine. I need it, but have it under control for the most part with medication and other means. I found a little difference after two surgeries, but it's mostly strength and coordination. Pain is always something I have to deal with. Your own experience will depend on what you have going on and there really is no way to predict the outcome of surgery. It can be better or worse, or not make a difference at all. Your surgeon may be able to fill you in on what his experience is. I won't let anyone but a Neurosurgeon work on my spine. If it's nerve related, they are the ones to run the show.

8. woodtick2

woodtick2 TS Member

I had back surgery on July 1st. I had a severly herniated disc in the lower back. Fortunately the pain wasn't too bad most of the time. I only took pain pills after the surgery and then only for a 2 weeks. I was able to walk several miles in a day after 2 weeks and back to limited work after 3 weeks,and raced my bike in a race after 10 weeks. Today I am back to near 100%, but am not as flexible. I think the surgery success depends on the type of injury, your physical condition and post surgery therapy. For me I am glad I had the surgery.
    Randy Kerr

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Had L-5 laminectomy to relieve spinal stenosis in 2000. Off work for 8 weeks. Can still ride my dirt bikes and road bikes although not as hard. Can still shoot and stomp the woods. Have had other friends have the same surgeries and NOT get any better. I was off my pain meds just a couple days after my surgery. I was eating vicoden and oxycontin like it was candy. When you have pain you don't usually get buzzed, at least I didn't. It was the meds that kept me working until the day prior to my surgery. I had the co-chair of the nuerosurgery dept. of Ohio State cut on me. I knew I was fixed the minute I woke up although I wqs quite sore for a day or two. GET GOOD ADVICE! Don't be afraid to rip it out by the roots. Good Luck.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. fly

fly Active Member

Frank C, that has to be one of the dumbest responses to a question asked on this site.

11. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I had surgery in July of 2000 to repair a ruptured disc at L5/S1. I was 28 at the time. I tried nerve blocks and a number of painkillers(oxycodone, morphine, and vicodin to name a few. The surgery was a snap and recovery time was pretty quick. I've had only a few flair ups that can be handled with over the counter type stuff. I'm not an advocate for surgery, but in my case it saved my life.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OR ... you could let it go, like I did, until one day you wake up and your legs are paralyzed!

Not fun!

Day after surgery, I could move them a bit ... after physical therapy ... I was as good as new!

13. Frank C

fly, can you show proof to the contrary? My buddies aunt had elective knee replacement several weeks ago on a Monday, she was dead on Friday, bled out internally from some sort of ulcer that she was apparently unaware of. The blood thinners post surgery led to her death.....
    My point was, and was echoed by others here was, if you can avoid surgery, and general anesthesia, it is probably a good idea.
    do some research, perhaps one in 10,000 that go under general A die....take the chance if you want, I would choose against it, at least for as long as possible!

14. Frank C

A little more happy reading...
    from personal family experience, my mother fell and broke her hip two years ago, she was pretty sharp before the surgery, and after, she barely knew who she and the rest of the family were....she was dead in six months

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had two back surgeries. In 2002, had a herniated disc, L4-L5, and a compressed L5-S1. They fixed the herniated disc, but didn't do nothing to the other. Recovery was good, but I wore a corset type brace for four years. Continued to shoot etc. In 2005, the other disc went haywire, and I was literally drinking myself to sleep every night. I could not do painkillers, or other drugs. My wife told me to get something done or she would get something done. So, after some messing around, I changed doctors,thanks to a close friend, and got to see a neurosurgeon, and realized my back was toast. Had a 360 sugery done in May 2006, and feel great. Recovery was long, got released in Feb 2007. Can't ride a horse anymore. But, I'd have it done again tomorrow. My wife had L5-S1 fused Nov. 2008, and after a tough recovery, is now playing volleyball, and plays tennis 3-4 times a week. Please go see a competent neurosurgeon for back problems. It will save you in the long run. Best , Charlie Henderson

16. Lyle

Lyle Member

I took some shots in the base of my spine (series of three) and I have been pretty good for about three years now.

Of course, everyone's case is different.

Lyle

17. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know that didn't answer your question, but let me add this. I wore a "TENS UNIT" for three months. It's an electronic pain device, and it can help some. For me it did not work. To go to the bathroom,#2, it was alot of wires to move around. I tried some other drugs, but I couldn't take them, cause at that time, I was hauling cattle for a living. I could have a few when I got home, but that was it. You have to have a MRI, exrays, and a good neurosurgeon to guide you. Best, Charlie Henderson

18. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

My wife is going in for her 13th spinal surgery the 27th. Now to repair a c6-c7 that hasn't healed.On her lower back (5 opperations) she had an electric stimulator put in. Life saver! only uses it once or twice a month. There is clinical studies that prove physical therapy is just as effective as surgery,IF the individual does the hard work. My wife was eating 12-14 10mg of percs everyday. She's been off them for 8 years until this last surgery didn't heal. The problem with drugs is your body will resist them making you need more and more until you have another problem. Do everything you can to stay away from the knife. Do the hard work your told to do first. I have three friend recover from buldging disks by following instructions of professionals.
    When they cut,heres what can very well happen. The discs below now get more pressure that the fused disc transfers down. Then there is scar tissue. This can restict the channel that the nerves travel through in your spine. Now you have even more problems with pain in places that wasn't even there before. They can't fix this! If your diabetic? Your body may not heal,as is part of my wifes issue.
    Not just my opine,This from experience.

Dennis

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Once they cut, you can't go back. One thing to consider.

20. ken a

ken a Member

I had herniated disc operated on15 years ago. I had what they called sympathetic nerves where the brain thinks there is still a injury. It took three nerve blockers (shots to the spine) before the original pain stopped. I have no problems now and GLAD I had it done. Do a check on the surgeon that is going to do surgery. Not all mechanics are good mechanics.