1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back surgery and recoil reducing stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Well it looks like another back surgery is in my future. When I was 28 I had a laminectony at SI1/l5 for a herniated disc. Now 12 years later(39) l5/l4 needs some clean up. Anyhow,I'd like some feed back from my fellow bad back brothers on recoil reducing stocks(like the stock lock system)I'd like to know if it's worth the money or would a lighter load or heavier gun have the same results. I already shoot a Kolar and 90t with mostly 1 oz loads.Any real life opinions are welcomed and appreciated.Thanks Brad

2. wbill

wbill Member

I've had five surgeries on neck, back, and shoulder. I have had and or tried all the recoil systems. I have found that the PFS and the Soft Touch systems are as good as you can get. They are what I shoot now. Bill

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

brad, I had an L5 laminectomy, L4 not so good either! have purchesed and tried them all, Pat Mcarthy Stock Lock is the way to go! friends of mine who have tried mine include neck , shoulder, spine, lower lumbar surgeries, all have purchased the Stock Lock! no axe to grind, but folks here who have had disc pain and issues, God bless! you have experienced PAIN! while at first some will question the money spent, the tens of thousands already paid in medical expenses pale in comparison to Pat;s Stock Lock. No reason to give up the sport you love, as an old Hungarian saying, "you're going to be dead a lomg long time! enjoy! incinerate em!

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Brad, I have fusion T9-L2, compression fractures at c5-c6, T4-T5,a bad disc at L3-L4, and a bum right hip. If it weren`t for a PFS stock I`d have been done shooting 3 years ago. JMO

Tommy Terex

PS. Other than that I`m not in bad shape for a 58 year old.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Phil Simms' ProSoft system was getting a lot of positive feedback from users at the Grand this year. I was impressed when I tried one and ordered one for myself. Should be here in October. Check the website above.

Gene in Illinois

6. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

PFS. I've had 3 back surgeries and a couple more to go. I couldn't shoot without my PFS though

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I passed on serious surgery on my neck and back because of the rate of success numbers and the chance of winding up walking like a stick man.

If not for this stock system, I too have tried them all, I'd have to quit shooting competitivly! Smoothest system to be had in reducing FELT recoil! Most dependable too with no down time due to broken parts! I love my ProSoft a lot!!

Hap

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Do they rework your existing stock for a prosoft, or is it a new stock from the get go?

Phil Berkowitz

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Hi Hap: I shook your hand in Phil's tent at the Grand.

They are making me a new stock. Not sure if they can re-work your stock or not. Call and ask Phil or Nate. 970.523.9566

Gene in Illinois

10. Hap MecTweaks

Gene, I remember shaking your hand too and it was a pleasure meeting a fellow TS poster! You'll love your new stock Gene!!

Phil, it would take a huge stock to duplicate the ProSoft and Phil supplies the blank anyway? There is an extra charge for the eye popping wood though and that's to be expected too. Best deal going for a stock that works and is dependable too for less felt recoil! I love mine!!

Hap

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can you collapse the ProSoft if you pull the gun in tight before you shoot?

12. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks for the replies. Do any of you have issues with the stock compressing on the second shot for doubles? Does your face stay put?

13. Hap MecTweaks

Harv, if the magnet is set strong, I can't collasp the stock and I'm fairly stout too.

BJK, this stock re-sets really quick and the cheek bone stays in place where it should. Of course, depending on how a shooter man handles his stock, it must be adjusted for that also. Another thing this stock does not do is torque into or away from the face as others do!! All that besides reducing felt recoil to less than any other stock I've ever used!!

Hap

14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Hap:
    You're not 'stout'. You're what 7-11 calls Super Size. And I mean that as a compliment. <:)

Harv:
    When I shot Nate Simm's Kolar, I could collapse it a bit, but not all the way. It is easily adjustable by the user. When I get mine, I'll let you know and we can meet up at DGSC.

Gene in Illinois

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Had C4-C6 fused and was very concerned to start shooting again. Put a G Squared on and have shot around 200 in one day so far and absolutely no pain.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might want to consider 7/8

The only way to reduce actual recoil in any significant and practical way is to reduce the shot charge

Mass times Velocity = Momentum (which is recoil)

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looks like a Shiozaki or Counter Coil to some degree. The magnet idea is new tech, and viable.

It was too easy to partly collapse some of the others, and older ones. FWIW some people can't stand to shoot if the stock moves.

I had a laminectomy at L4 40 years ago and it was a brutal experience, especially the Mylogram. The good part is my 3 month recovery had great results up until recently. the problems I have now are primarily age related. Shooting still goes ok, though exept for too many misses.

Good luck to anyone with back problems, and be thankful for the modern medical innovations. Has anyone had the shims put in between the vertebra? My friend's wife had fine results with them.

HM

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

2 torn tendons in L shoulder, full thickness tear Rotator Cuff in R shoulder, 2 herniated 2 bulged all in Lumber, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and racing motorcycles plus 30 years at a Steelmill, anyways I have used the Graicoil but for me the Remington 1100, Winchester Super X and 391 Berettas worked the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.