1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by raceman90, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raceman90

raceman90 TS Member

I am new to here and relatively new to shooting, i have a question as dumb as it may be.

I shoot 50 to 75 targets then my lower back starts to ache, are there any particular exercises that help with this?
    Maybe i am just a wimp?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mount the gun at home and maybe even swing to a spot or more on the wall. If you can build up muscles until you can handle at least 100 at a time you can then consider even more. This will build muscles in arms, help find your shoulder pocket reliably, and help with consistent mounts as well as improving the back muscles....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have the same problem except it only takes about a half round before it starts. Exercises did not help. I solved the problem by taking along a folding bar stool (Walmart @ $11)and sitting on it between shots if the squad is slow. With a fast squad, I will shoot one station standing and the next sitting on the stool. I seem to hit the targets just as well sitting as standing. I shoot skeet also find the stool invaluable there also.

4. DBax

DBax TS Member

I have a minor back problem , It only bothers me if i hold the gun all the time between shots,, my solution was to rest the gun in-between every shot on my toe pad , ,, good shootin Dean

5. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

It is your stance, you are leaning a bit forward, stand up and bend backwards after you shoot, Fowl Frank

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

It may also be a problem with your feet. If you have flat feet or a flexible arch, standing for a long period of time will make you feel it in your lower back. Check into some good insoles or a shoe/boot with a very good arch. I had a plantar faciaitis problem as well as the back problem from the weak arch and these have helped me.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If theres no medical reason for the aches, exercises will help a lot in building up your low back strength. I know back/neck pain really well, had it for a lot of years and it does affect your ability in shotgunning, drastically! I added more weight to most all my guns and that helps keep my back muscles stay tensioned when raising my gun, most of the time that is. Weight also helps cut the felt recoil when trying to shoot 300 targets in a day but thats too much for me. Good luck guy!

Hap

8. cotrshooter

cotrshooter Member

Go to zcoil.com the best shoes for back pain i ever tried
    Dan

9. cotrshooter

cotrshooter Member

I should add i shoot in them all the time

10. btsteve

btsteve TS Member

On the occaision my lower back bothers my shooting. I wear a weight-lifting
    belt. It keeps my posture and back in line. Good Luck

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Walk, walk, walk. And then

Exercise your abs- crunches and sit-ups will help support the lower back.

12. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I have an unfortunate history of back problems. Go to a doctor. That should be your first step.

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

SEE YOUR DOCTOR. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF PHYSCIANS ON HERE. SEE YOURS. ASK HIM OR HER. THERE ARE MANY CONDITIONS THAT MIGHT CAUSE THIS, SOME MINOR SOME REALLY SERIOUS. Yes, I am shouting. If you have a diagnosis, many people here may discuss options. Get a diagnosis of your problem first.

Yes I was shouting for a reason.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.