1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back in the 60s......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by redhawk44, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Back in the 60s, somebody made a choke that automatically adjusted when the gun was fired.

One set it on IC, for example, and after the first shot, it set itself for modified, and after the next shot, it set itself at full.....or something similar to that.

I can't recall who it was that made it, and it didn't last long.

Do any of you OTHER old farts here remember that?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I remember those but never actually owned one. My friend had one I believe. Yes, I am old enough born in 42

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Herter's sold them but I don't remember who made them.

4. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

PolyChoke haad such a choke. It was great for quail as most coveys were going away from you. I never saw but one and it worked. Fred

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lou, would it be possible to photograph your friends choke system and show us? Hap

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Dang, that sounds almost like an O/U, choked IC and Mod...

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Before my time

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I have a Poly choke on my old Itacah but it doesn't screw itself you have to do it manually.

Hope this helps.

Foggy

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There was a device like this. It functioned on recoil, and had to be reset each time.

Now, if I could just remember the name............

HM

10. cubancigar2000

Hap,

My friend has long since passed and his kids sold all the guns. I may have a hunting picture of us buried somewhere that may show it. We used to hunt Rabbits in Markle Indiana and he used it faithfully.

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Was it not called a choke-a-matic....An automatic shotgun choke characterized in the provision of a choke member adapted to be secured to the muzzle end of a shotgun barrel; a recoil and spring actuated choke operating sleeve around said choke member; and a gas pressure actuated latch on said choke sleeve engaged in a first recess in the choke member which retains said sleeve and choke member with the latter in open bore condition until after the initial shot is fired, at which time, the latch is actuated by the gas pressure of the initial shot to automatically release the sleeve and choke member for relative spring and recoil actuation to full choke position. In the full choke position, the latch engages a second recess in the choke member so that the second and succeeding shots will be fired under full choke conditions. Whenever desired, the latch may be disengaged from the second (full choke) recess and the choke sleeve moved against spring pressure to open bore position at which it is latched and exposed to gas pressure when the next shot is fired. The automatic shotgun choke herein is further characterized in that the choke sleeve may, upon disengagement of the latch from the first (open bore) recess, be rotated to open bore position and whereat the latch engages a third recess in the choke member but is not exposed to gas pressure and hence the choke assembly will remain in open bore position for any number of shots until such time that the choke sleeve is manually shifted to automatic choke position with the latch engaged in the first (open choke) recess.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

...we had fast cars and cheap shells

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Seen it when I was younger but never owned one.

As far as Herters selling them, I just checked my MINTY August 1973-August 1974 Herters catalog #84, and on pages 37-39 they advertise their own Herters Vari-chokes.

Vari choke or vari choke with recoil eliminator.

Std. Vari Choke....$11.47

Vari Choke with recoil Eliminator...$14.47

Anybody need anything else looked up, let me know. LOL

AJ100

14. cubancigar2000

I remember the vari choke, don't think thats what he is talking about

15. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You are correct sir. That is not what he was talking about. I looked it up in reply to Dave P's post about Herters.

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herters choke vari