1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back from my UPLAND hunt! Need new gun!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Back from Pittburg NH for my first upland hunt. Grouse and woodcock. Got 2 shots and ended up with one woodcock. Never realized how crazy woodcock and grouse fly.... I heard them, barely saw them. I'm a duck and goose hunter! NEVER will I say waterfowl hunting is hard! The terrain was so thick and mucky and up hill and down hill. I have sore muscles where I never thought I had muscles! What is with those bull briars? Everytime I lost my footing and grabbed onto something, it was a briar! Ruined my manicure ;) Scary walking thru moose droppings and walking in the same footprints they left that same morning. It was alot of fun but I really need a lighter weight gun. Hauled a 32" 12 ga thru the woods for a 2 day, 8 hr. hunt each day. Stayed at Tall Timber....CLEAN, nice, Great food! GS pointers. Glad I have fall turkey opening tomorrow and still have plenty of time for ducks and geese here!

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Get you a well balanced 20 ga. Beretta White Onyx or 391 come to mind. I use the 686 and love it. Carry it all day.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Get you a good 28" barreled 20/28 ga. shotgun.

I admire you for carrying a 32" 12ga in the woods and managing to swing it enough to get one of those birds.

ss

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I looked at a 28 gauge CZ 'Ringneck' model SxS today at Scheels. If light and fast are what you are after this gun has it at a price that makes you wonder 'how can that be'? Glad you had a good time and are using the terms shotgun and need in the same sentence.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Of COURSE you need a light SxS ... splinter forend, straight-hand grip, double triggers ... Filson & LL Bean ...

Bob

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Light straight hand SxS w/ splinter fore end for tradition. Benelli Ultra Light for perfection. Six pounds for 12 and 5.5 lbs. for 20. I sold all my SxS's I had collected over 25 years after I bought my BUL. For a trap shooter, I even shoot respectable skeet scores with it.

The main thing is to be out hunting. The gun is just a tool you carry to legitimize why you are out enjoying nature and watching good dog work.

HBT

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Girl what you need to do is hire you one of them personnal trainers and bulk up them arms. Then you can really impress them light double toten men if thar woods.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use an old 1100 28ga with a 25" mod fixed choke barrel..light and short , but with plenty of reach

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it Yvonne. You can't beat one of the older Belgian browning 20's. There's been a couple on here recently priced very nicely, a sign of the times. There is nothing more enjoyable than following the dogs in the brush is there, a lot different than your marsh time. That's why I enjoy New Brunswick so much. The woodcock are a very interesting little bird and great eating also. If your going again before you find a gun, give me a shout and you can borrow one on your way up. Have fun, Bob

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a 12ga beretta 26" auto coming up for sale-- lite weight/ low recoil welcome to call me wally riebesell 660-744-4115

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

not a 391 fan for target work, but my 391 in 20 ga was the nicest carry gun I've ever had, and shoots 3" in case you take up pheasant hunting !

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

20 ga auto with 3" shells, best bird guns ever. I use the Benelli Montefeltro

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

I will be upland game hunting for the first time this fall.

I acquired a pristine, but used, Browning XS Feather in 28 ga for $1200. It is a joy to carry and shoot. Patterned it yesterday and it shoots dead on.

If you can find one, a used 28 ga O/U is very light and easy to carry.

Don Verna

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

My first gun was a Remington model 11 sportsman in a 16ga {that I still have} It is the most sweet shooting gun I've ever had n the field and has seen many kills. It does have a little punch to it sense it is not gas operated but you never feel it from the excitement of the hunt.lol I just bought a CZ 20ga OU a few weeks ago and it is a great field gun that I will be using now.

Lee

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I changed over to a Remington Special Field 20, straight grip, real cut checkering and 21" Remchoke barrel. Light as a feather, comes up nice and I can tailor the pattern to the game. That said, I still prefer my old AYA 20 ga double. Thinking of selling the Remington.

16. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

How about a Winchester 59? A mega lightweight version of the mod.50 w/ alloy receiver and fiberglass wrapped barrel for the ultimate in light weight while functioning with virtually anything like the 50. This one in i/c w/ a second barrel w/ an aluminum cutts for interchangable chokes to indeed shoot anything and provide a neutral balance to the gun.

Chuck

17. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

SavageStan,

I am looking for a Remington Special Field 20 gauge. Drop me an email if you are serious about selling.

David

18. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Take a look at Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen or Light Twenty, Browning Twelvette or Twentyweight and Winchester Model 59, all great upland guns.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The only gun in my safe that I will not sell is my old Beretta 20Ga SxS. Everyone who has shot it offers to buy it. It has 25" baRRELS. selectable triggers and is choked IC/Mod. It weighs about 6 pounds loaded and you can carry it all day and not feel it. It is a woodcock killing machine aand points like it is part of you.

20. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

It should be against the law to hunt upland birds with anything but a double trigger SXS with a splinter foreend, and a straight hand stock. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.