1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND, MORE VIC REINDER STORIES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have been bombarded with request that i write some more vic reinder stories, so here it goes. by the way, in no way am i trying to belittle vic, but showing you how such a great shooter born in a different time thought and acted. i went out to the gun club and saw a new soda machine. all it had was coke in it. so i went to the manager and took out a membership, asked him if we could get orange soda? he said i would have to speak to vic reinder's as he was the man who makes the dicisions at the club. suddenly vic walks in. i introduce myself as being a new member at the club. i ask him if it would be possible to get orange soda in the soda machine? he points his finger at me and said" if you don't like it here, shoot at boxhorns, another club in the area. next week i see that the soda machine has rootbeer in it. i talk to the mgr, he said rootbeer was vic's favorite.

years ago the sunday morning winter events at my club were so well attended, that new shooters would not believe it today. i have seen shooters go thru a case of shells shooting off for a can of spam. to say these events were important, is an understatement. years ago we had some of the best shooters in the state shoot these events. i sign up with the vicster, and a few other friends to shoot the 50 16 yd event. it was bitterly cold that day. vic was having a terrible time, he had scores that day of 12 and 13. after he shot his legs cramped up so bad that two of us had to carry vic back inside the club house. i was speaking to another close friend and said poor vic, can hardly shoot anymore. next sunday, we sign up again. i had a 42, vic had a 50 and won everything.

some of the club members chipped in and purchased vic an over and under to shoot doubles. vic, could not shoot the gun very well. so he sold it and purchased a remington typewriter.

one year i could not hit a hard right from station 5. i ask vic if he could stand behind me when i shoot and see what im doing wrong. so vic comes out and stands behind me. it is around dusk. i set the trap to throw only hard rights from station 5. i call pull and a screaming hard right comes out, i pull the trigger and did not hit the target. vic says to me why did you shoot? i said the target came out. he said i didn't see any target. i call pull again, another hard right comes out and i shoot and miss again. vic raises his voice and said why did you shoot again? i said the target came out. he said i have not seen any targets. he suggested i get my eyes checked before i come out to the club again. i said vic, i am not feeling well, i will shoot another time.

last story for now.
    two of my friends sign up to shoot the state handicap. the only position open was #5. they are waiting to shoot and the #5 shooter is late. suddenly they see vic hobbling up to the trap with his gun and awol bag. vic walks directly up to the both of them and said" if you do not want to wait, don't sign up with a cripple.

steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

sportshot:
    can you tell us some little jimmy stories?
    thanks,
    steve

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Those sending you emails must have been NUTZ

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know I guy who beat Dan Bonillas in a state handicap shootoff. If you know who he is, ask him about it. I think he remembers every target he shot at and exactly how he managed to prevail. And his win was 33 years ago!!

5. senior smoke

MIA-
    yes, i knew jack gracey. i considered him the best shooter i ever saw in wisconsin. when i first met vic, it was in 1970. vic was still shooting some good scores but he was not in his prime at that time.
    steve

6. senior smoke

mr. newbius:
    yes it is hard to believe. one guy who is on the WTA board even requested that i write more stories about the vicster. this is no bs, one guy said i should write a book about him too, and he would by it. i told him give me the money for the book, after i write it, i will give him a free book.
    steve

7. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

Steve,
    I don't know you or Vic, but I really like the stories. I think every club has a "Vic" character. Keep the stories comming. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark S

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Just reread Vic's history on the HoF site. He was an original. It would be hard to identify another trapshooter who was as dedicated to the sport AND was such a great shot.

Always enjoyed chatting with him at Vandalia and reviewing with him the notebook he kept on his scores, always in his shirt pocket.

Hearsay was that he shot a miserable score at the Maui Trap and Gun Club in 1973 while returning from Australia. He turned around and announced that he had just died as a trapshooter since the bad score dropped his lifetime average below 97.00%

9. senior smoke

i just got home from work. i received 4 private messages to keep the vic stories going. when i have some time i will write some more.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.