1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back Burner for Trapshooting!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Cold weather is a good time to take a break from shooting trap, but to relieve Cabin Fever serious steps can be taken. Here are some I have been experimenting with in order to break the tedium.

I have purchased or invested a little less than $150 in order to see if Archery will help my trapshooting. I made my own target out of layers of cardboard as the ones I wanted from a sporting goods store cost more than my used compound bow. I still don't have it set up properly but can use it without travelling somewhere to shoot it when the weather permits. One drawback to this setup for me is using the sights which could possibly lead to bead checking in trap!

The other interest is using a Pogo Stick which is fun and good exercise and I am learning about balance using it. Still learning with it and have not learned to hop it in one direction, I seem to be slowly rotating to the right. Haven't figured out why, maybe some Pogo experts on here can steer me in the right direction(pun intended).

I just joined a new website USA Slingshots.com and am learning what appears to be a new fun hobby and about a new type of competition. This is an inexpensive hobby you can do if you live in the city limits as it is a very low noise activity. I checked this out when someone on here posted about Chief AJ who breaks aerial targets with his slingshot. Very interesting and would be a target shooting activity where you shoot at something by only looking at the target.

Snapshot has suggested I take up juggling and showed me an ad in Duluth Trading for a CD on how to Juggle along with 3 colored beanbags. Maybe she is gently suggesting that I learn to juggle and thereby learn to juggle my hobbies. Hope these suggestions can help you deal with cabin fever! Biff

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hey Biffer, "I seem to be slowly rotating to the right."

When people get lost in a white out snow storm on level lands, right handed people will walk in a circle to the left. Left handed people will walk in a circle to the right. Same thing when rowing a boat on still waters when current has no influence on direction, or they have a visual land reference to go by. Longer steps or more power to the favored side causes this. Don't ask me how I know this is true in a blinding snowstorm? I don't know anything about the jumping jack thingie though? Hap

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Get one of those wrist rockets (slingshots), those things are neater than you'd ever inagine and accurate also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Back when I was 10 years old and didn't have a gun yet I used to hunt with my wristrocket and could hit rabbits on the run. Then I graduated to a bow and learned to shoot it without a sight and got pretty darned good with it. I remember one day by the river and the seagulls were dive bombing me so I took a shot and missed and my arrow went way in the hell out in the grass flats right in the middle of their nesting area. I came home later that day with my arrow but also covered in bird sh-t.

I think both the slingshot and bow are excellant teaching aids to learn how to point a projetile without sights.

However I don't see where a pogo is going to help in that endevor at your age it might just shake something loose. The reason your turning right is that you only have one oar in the water. LOL

If you want to learn to juggle go to Hawaii on the big Island and there is a juggling convention there sometime in January. I spent most of a wee there one time hanging out with the circus people and had a blast. You take care and have a Merry Christmas.

Jim

5. biff

biff Active Member

Jim, It's the exercise thing with the Pogo, sure gets my heart a thumping when I go a jumping! I am jumping(without falling off) between 150 and 200 bounces and actually feel I could do better if I had one of those helmets. Not only is it good aerobic exercise, I feel it is improving my balance; I feel I could go places with this if I could only learn to head off in a straight line! You are not the first person to gently hint about me using only one oar or as Hap indicated that I may be travelling in circles, maybe that's why I keep making the same mistakes with my Trap shooting.

As they say its never to late to try new things or to learn to do some of the things you wish you had done more of when you were young and were possibly more capable. I like trying new things and wish I had time to do all the things which are fun. I haven't even given up on shooting marbles! Biff

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

biff- One of my favorite sayings is that growing old is mandatory....growing up is optional. I agree. Keep hopping!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. OSH

OSH TS Member

I already can juggle, somewhat, but might have an explain why youre going right on the pogo. Your left leg is stronger than your right if you are an average right handed person. I have taken up the Banjo!!!!!!! Good for concentration, agility, Looking for a good used Gibson five string if anyone has an old one out there they want to part with.

THNX
    OSH

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"I spent most of a wee there one time hanging out with the circus people"

Jim, you weren't arrested for that?

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

To tell you the truth Devi, I should have been. I did however learn to juggle women and I learned it was more trouble than it was worth. You think trapshooters are full of hell you should try circus people from around the world. The contortionists were amazing. There was a lady there that could put swallow three swords at once???? And all of this on the most beautiful beach I have found in Hawaii. I really don't know why I didn't end up in Romania but that is another story.

10. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

A friend recently sent me this link about a slingshot deadeye. He's pretty amazing. Search 'Rufus Hussey the bean shooter man' There is an interesting youtube video of him.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You have to watch out for Neil's SNOW SNAKES in that whit stuff.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, Thanks for posting my picture of my new/old shooter. That is an old Bullseye shooter my uncle gave me when I was a kid as he wanted to upgrade me from tree branch forks with cut innertubes for the bands. Actually those home made sling shots were very accurate(870's compared) to the Wham-o's and Bullseyes(Ljutic's) which were store bought!

Sometimes the bands flip over and rap your knuckles, so I put that aluminum strip on it as a hand guard. I've been using ball bearing 3/8"(used in paint cans to stir the paint) which you can buy in bulk and cheaper than lead shot, white .50" marbles and .69" paintballs for ammo. Trumark is a sling shot made in America while Marksman, Daisy and Barnette are made in China. It's fun to shoot a sling shot and watch the projectile travel to the target(in my case-near the target!), I think it could be helpful with trap shooting by keeping your eye on the target! Biff

13. biff

biff Active Member

John Rudy, you can get hooked on sling shots! You need to go to Chief AJ's web site and read some of his exploits.....they are a gas! And yes he breaks clay targets with them, not back on the 27 yd line mind you but he is in the Book of Guiness Records for flying targets. He has killed Pheasants in flight with his slingshot. He's 72 years old and has modified BB guns(Red Ryders) accurized Ruger 10/22's and a little of everything. BTW I do wear shooting goggles when shooting the sling shots, keeps your eyes safer, Thanks!

Jim, I went the airgun route before Trap intervened or invaded my life! It will help you develop you skill for slow/long lock times, especially with the air rifles......heck you could even shoot Model 12's after that ! Going the air pistol is like learning to use water colors rather than acrylics....very tough! The pogo stick is a lot of fun, a little tough for outside at this time for the weather in Ohio, but just don't be pogoing in your basement! I'll come in the house huffing and puffing and Snapshot will ask me if I've been outside pogoing!!! Just think of the money you'll save on choke tubes, cut combs and adjustable ribs....all you need is a helmet...elbow pads.....and knee pads!!!! Biff

14. biff

biff Active Member

Also, you can experiment with improving sling shots like shotguns! HeeHee! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.