1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Back Bored Barrels ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjwatc, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

This past weekend I was at the club and a group of shooters were taking about sending their barrels off to be "tuned and back bored". What is this process and does it really help increase your effectiveness of shooting? Also, if it is recommended, who does the work and what is the typical cost?

Just thought that I would ask the question.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What is this process and does it really help increase your effectiveness of shooting?

The process is to send your barrel(s) to a gunsmith to have the inside of the bore machined out to a larger diameter. Normal 12 gauge bore diameter is nominally 0.729 inches. Some will bore out to 0.740 or 0.750.

Does it increase the effectiveness? That's open for debate.

Does it make you a better shooter, or improve your game? No.

Some claim it makes your patterns better, some claim it reduces your recoil, some claim it cures plantars warts.

Only one way to find out is to shoot a bunch of patterns, have them analyzed with something like Shotgun-Insight, then have the optimization and back-boring done, then shoot a bunch more patterns to see if it improved.

The big dogs always have their guns "tuned" but does it make them shoot better? Nobody knows, because they don't shoot their guns until after they've had the work done.

Others will dispute, but I have my doubts it will get you one target you wouldn't have gotten without it.

One thing it does for sure is make your billfold lighter, and your gunsmith's heavier.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

timb99. And it changes the balance of the gun. NO small thing in and of itself. I do not do it just for that reason. I think you can accomplish pretty much of what you are attempting by picking the right choke and findign the right factory shell that give yo the best pattern. And Just to prove my "balance" point... Kolar's normal bore is .740. The call their .750 bore "super light". And too, they get a full choke pattern out of a choke tube that has less constriction than the typical .034 to .040 chokes yo see in .725-.729 bore guns. Really. and you may well do better wiht your reloading recipes to make a outstanding pattern. A lot of guys do.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I figure the difference going from a .740 to a .750 bore would be 1.8 oz.

going from a .729 to a .750 bore would be 3.744 oz.

tony

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

MIA,

Hadn't thought of the weight aspect, but you're absolutely right. You are removing a certain amount of metal from the barrel.

Tony,

Your numbers are very close to what I get.

BrownST100,

Yes, if the wall of your tube is thinner, you have lost strength and you will shorten the life of the barrel. Absolutely, positively. How much? That, I can't answer.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

tjwatc, I don't think backboring does anything by itself. When a barrel smith "tunes" a barrel, they do so by changing the forcing cone and choke profile. That requires removing metal, so the bore must be enlarged to match.

There are several outstanding barrel smiths. My current fixed choke combo was tuned by Kerry Allor. I am tickled pink with the results. Yes, the tuning made my scores go up. It did so because now all three barrels throw nice, even patterns. That was not the case with the factory barrels.

All three barrels on my previous fixed choke combo shot and patterned great, right from the factory. There was no way they were ever going to go to a smith. It just wasn't necessary.

So my advice to you is to pattern your barrels. If you have a gem, leave it alone. If you have a lemon, $350 a tube gets it fixed. In between is a judgment call.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Does it weaken the strength of the barrel? any reputable barrel smith is not going to work on a barrel he deems unsafe. One problem which happens when you tamper with factory barrels is, should the gun ever be returned to the factory it will be branded as unserviceable and will be sent back to you unrepaired.

8. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I back-bore only on request! I have never sold a customer on BB, other posters said it all....not one bird extra. Kind of like fishing lures in a way; 'more for the fisherman than the fish'!
    I started back-boring many years ago to make lousy bores look better for the sale rack, long before the 'improvement-in-pattern' stuff came out.
    Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
back bore shotgun barrel
back bored shotgun

back bored shotgun barrels

back bored shotgun barrels with choke tubes
back boring a shotgun barrel
back boring shotgun barrels
do back bored barrels pattern better with tight chokes
how to back bore a shotgun barrel