1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

back bore a barrel or find other solution?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shrek, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek

shrek Active Member

Anyone here ever backbored an 870 barrel?

I have a fixed choke 30" vent rib barrel 2 3/4 chamber marked "trap mod", it measures 0.725 in the bore and has about 0.020 of choke. It has not been used very much.

I would would like to tighten it up, choke wise to closer to 0.030 of choke and am considering having it back-bored.

Or if someone is interested in this barrel as it is I would be interested in trading for a 30" fixed choke vent rib barrel with tighter choke in like condition depending on the bore and choke measurements.

If you have back bored a barrel did it do what is was supposed to do, or did it create unwanted problems?

Or is there a better solution

Thanks

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I have a 30" full I might be interested in swapping. It's off an 870tb.
    Jimmy

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Call Briley. They have minimums on bore/barrel diameter, but they may be able to put choke tubes in the barrel and give you the chokes you want.

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

What are you using this barrel for? If it is 16 yard to 23 yards this is the perfect choke for that distance if it patterns well. Have you patterened the barrel ? If not I sujest you do it first I do know a guy won the Clay target champingship at the Grand with that choke restriction. Also 30 trap mod barrels are rare so I would think twice about altering it maybe just buy another barrel they are reasonable enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.