1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Aspirin & Beta-Blockers for shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ray Courney, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Courney

Ray Courney TS Member

A very close and personal friend just had a heart attack while shooting in the doubles league at his club. It is reported that the heart event occurred between two rounds of 100 each birds and that as a result his score for the second 100 was substantially less than the first. Papers have been filled for a “do over”.

It was learned that if an individual (non sexist statement) has chest pains that in addition to considering immediate medical attention, the ingestion of four baby aspirin by chewing is the first step in reducing damage. The second step may be to talk a “Beta Blocker”. While you may not have a Beta Blocker in your car with the flavored baby aspirin, one of your buddies may have one –they are quite common.

So ---- keep flavored non-coated baby aspirin handy and discuss Beta Blockers with your doctor and buddies ---- these could save your life.

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just carry the regular std aspirin.....been there, done that, and the taste you will soon forget.

Another thing to carry is Bayer Quick Release Crystals......one word of caution......don't give the crystals a trial run,.....you may develop a flinch and not have the guts to take them when you need them.....chewing a regular aspirin ain't bad though.....I've had to do it a few times.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Again, another reason for all clubs to have an AED, I always take my own when I travel to a club. Most clubs are off the beaten path & in general you are SOL, if you have a heart attack & most ranges.

Phil Berkowitz

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I carry nitro tablets 24/7. Always within reach.

5. archangel

archangel Member

If you need certain meds for example nitro or an inhaler for ashma by all means they should be not only with you but friends should know were you keep it and how to administer it in case of an attack. The same goes for an epi pen if you have allergies to bee stings or something else that can cause anaphlaxis. further the club should have procedures in place to call EMS in case of an emergency. I've been told that beta blockers have from time to time been given to public speakers because it decreases the effect of epinephrine on the heart so it does not feel as though it is pounding when one gets nervous. I take it for my high BP and can tell a difference. any way these are medicines that should only be given under the supervison and direction of a doctor. may be a doctor could chime in

6. mono1393

mono1393 Member

If you are over 50, it is a good idea to take a low dose (baby aspirin) every day as a daily vitamin regimen. I take 1 a day along with a Men's multi-vitamin. My doctor highly recommended it.

To your health,

Chris Morris

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Ray,
    Sorry about your friends health issue. Wish him the best in recovery. I don't think it is proper etiquette to petition for a "do over" on the targets shot. They were shot and should stand as scored. Anything less takes away from the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beta blocker for shooting