1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Babinga wood for a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maclellan1911, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is Babinga wood good for a stock?

2. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

It was good enough for Fred Bear to make a million recurve bows out of so I don't see why it wouldn't make a good stock. I would stick with walnut.

3. Steven

Steven TS Member

NO!!! Babinga wood is to weak of wood to use and is not dense enough. I've made bows for 15 years (Grim Reaper Longbows) i't a great bow wood, but no good for gun stock. COCO BOLO or IRONWOOD wood is strong, dense and is nicer looking than highend English walnut. The best wood if you can find it wood be SNAKEWOOD but it would cost you approx. $2000 for a piece large enough to make a gun stock.

Fred Bear used Maple on 99% of his bows.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I used it for a comb I made for my PFS. It worked fine for that application.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Macclellan1911,

I have made two complete stock and forend sets of Babinga wood for customers and they turned out very well. Bigdogtex has a Betetta O/U that was for sale and the photos of that gun were featured on this site. The stock and forend was made from Babinga. The wood was difficult to cut very tough and wore the carbide cutters at an alarming rate. It was hard to file but easy to sand. It also took to our finish very well. It was, for us an excellent wood but expect to pay a few hundred more for labor if you get it cut.

Dennis DeVault

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Babinga tastes like chicken!

All kidding aside most exotic woods are best for the closet queens and not as shooters.

Theres nothing better than a piece of Juglans regia (Royal) also known as english turkish and french; or Juglans nigra ( american black)

No better wood in function.

Joe

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have mine and it seems hard,,,,gun slipped and banged tailgate,,,,if it would have been the original walnut, I would have had a gouge in the wood,,,,the little "closet queen" had NO mark on it all

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

What kind of finish.

Who made the stock?

10. finger

finger TS Member

Check this out. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek089.html

This guy makes only really high end competition rimfire rifles. If the wood cannot hold up then it would not be on the rifle. Nice looking too. bob finger

11. bigdogtx

"Subject: Babinga wood for a stock?
    Email:
    Date: Sun, Mar 08, 2009 - 12:31 PM ET
    Website Address:

Macclellan1911,

I have made two complete stock and forend sets of Babinga wood for customers and they turned out very well. Bigdogtex has a Betetta O/U that was for sale and the photos of that gun were featured on this site. The stock and forend was made from Babinga. The wood was difficult to cut very tough and wore the carbide cutters at an alarming rate. It was hard to file but easy to sand. It also took to our finish very well. It was, for us an excellent wood but expect to pay a few hundred more for labor if you get it cut.

Dennis DeVault"

12. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Bubinga, as well as Purple Heart and many other exotic hardwoods is difficult to work with. The sanding dust is almost toxic for many. I would advise against it.

13. Steven

Steven TS Member

Leave the decision to the shock makers, if it can be done or not!!. Let them supply the wood and a warranty! If you supply the wood your looking for trouble.

14. bigdogtx

Got mine from Old Tree Gun Blanks and Dennis DeVauld did a wonderful job...

[​IMG]

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

bigdogtx- Dennis and I use the exact same finish. The stuff is as tough as nails and would even protect balsa wood.

You will also note that I said most exotic woods.

Bubinga has about the same density as American black walnut Hardness is equal.

The mineral deposits make it harder to work dulling tools quickly.

Walnut is a bit tougher and resists splitting better.

There both aceptable but if I wanted rosewood I think there are other varities I might choose.

Dennis built a Very Nice stock. I also know he is in no hurry to make another of Bubinga.

Enjoy your guns what ever their made of.

Joe

16. bigdogtx

Joe, Dennis will do another,,,,it will just cost more due to the equipment needs. Just about every wood had a character, some better than others. I just really enjoy what Dennis has done for me. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
babinga and black walnut bows
babinga wood
bubinga tip on rifle

bubinga wood rifle stock

walnut and bubinga gun stock