1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

B/S Determining POI without shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Post 2, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

There is a device out, of which I can't recall the name, which you use a special target with set up at what ever yardage you desire. You insert the lazer type device in you muzzel which expands to the correct choke. You then point you gun at the target and push a button. It gives you your guns pattern and point ot impact. When tested against a pattern board it is right on. Marvin Loy, of Starvin Marvins, has the device. It is the best I've ever seen.
    Only the person with the gun or some one directly behind them can see the pattern.

Post-2

2. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

Is there any way you can ask Marvin Loy what the device is called? Have some SCTP kids I think I could help with this. Thanks John

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl- The pattern is produced by a cloud of shot that are randomly distributed. If you shoot two shells and their POI is within 1/4 inch, that is very good. You can get a good estimate of the POI by testing 10 shells. A device that provides a single POI will not be able to compensate for the random distribution of an actual pattern.

Pat Ireland

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Earl, to add a bit to Pat's post, there's no such thing as getting a POI to much closer that half or 3/4 inch, even at 13 yards. With a full choke, the hole is bigger than that, and it drifts around a bit at that. So settle for pretty close and you'll be fine.

Nor is there any 67/33 or even 65/35. You hear it all the time, of course, but when someone talks about his own gun in percentage high you can pretty much conclude that he doesn't know how high it shoots. After all, if he knew it shot six inches high at 40 yards, wouldn't he just say that?

MN Webmaster RB had a red-dot light that fit in the choke and when I tried it in a gun I knew shot left, it said the same thing. But the thing is, I knew it shot left because I'd carefully tested it. One gun isn't enough to prove anything, but at least it didn't fail.

For an SCPT team? I have my doubts. Say the kid puts it up and it points as if the gun is shooting left. Now what? It's the problem raised by the recent gun fit thread to which I never got an answer. I'd never bend a barrel based on one of these light things so you have to test it off a bench anyway. You still have the same problem (if left-shooting is confirmed) , but at least you have solid enough evidence to do something about it.

High or low would be easier, but then, again, are you going to make changes based on just that light? What if in this case it's wrong? You don't have long with this student anyway and you sure don't want to
    get him or her off completely on the wrong foot.

I guess I'd trust it to sort out guns I might want to buy, that is,steer me away from really bad ones, as long as I'd confirmed its general correctness with at least ten guns, off a bench at 13 yards. I can really see its utility in avoiding miss-pointing over & unders, of which there are plenty.

I've tried to get one at Cabela's off and on but they never seem to have the one I'm looking for, and all the ones I see are the "New! Improved!" packaging and I wonder what was wrong with them before . . .

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.