1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

B class shooter breaking a perfect 100 Straight ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Should four to five B class Single shooters out of a thousand break 100 Straight on any given day just due to random chance without any explanation other than "it was their day" ?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

heck yes!..why not??...not that much difference between B and A..and everybody not only can have an extra good day randomly, but they can just plain step their games up a notch from bettering their equipment, practicing, lessons..lots of things....if we all stayed the same or got worse every year we would most likely quit!!

3. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Its sand bagging staight out no two ways around it...........LOL

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I would say yes, it is very possible. I am a B class shooter and I think I can still shoot a 100 straight.

Of course I have not shot one in several years but I think I still have one or two left in me.

Dr. Honk

5. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

why not worry less about what someone else scores and worry more about your own? If you are bothered by B class scores then you need to step up your game. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Out of my 5 100 straights, two were when I was a B shooter, it happens. :>)

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I broke a 100 straight in D class and C class. That was back in 1994 Haven't done it since.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Where have you been hammer? Years ago a fellow broke a 200 straight in the Clay Target Championship and he was in "D" Class.....

And the beat goes on...

FRedmon

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

100 straight in B class is likely at every major shoot,lots of shooters are moving thru B on their way up and other have moved down from a higher class for one reason or another.Sanbaggers would not be in B class cause you still have to shoot a good score to win maybe not 100 but close.Jerry

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Hell, I just got moved up to A class today because my average is 96.4%. Here's the kicker, I have NEVER shot 100 straight.

Bryan

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm a "B" shooter that has flrted with it on a number occasions but can't close the deal. A number of "99's" and a share of "98's". Can happen in the lower classes easily when someone has a on day. Now if an individual person does it often but stays in those classes, then its cause for an eye browe raise.

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was just applying the binomial probability distribution to Trap shooting with a P' of 0.9474 (top of B class with six classes), 100 targets, and calculating the number of successes (x = 100) out of 1,000 attempts.

Think it comes out to about 0.0045 or four to five per thousand.

200 Straight for a B class shooter is quite a bit rarer probability wise with the frequency being about 2 out of 100,000 attempts -- but it should happen.

But maybe my arithmetic and logic are all wrong.

I am tired this evening.

13. 3357

3357 Member

I was a B class shooter when I ran my first 100.

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

For what little it's worth...

I confirm your 5.9 per thousand attempts with a P' = 0.9500.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hammer--When you started saying " binomial probability distribution". I got scared and ran. You must have hit the math courses more that i did. Maybe i have forgotten too much. Interesting stat though.

16. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In my first year of shooting registered targets I had a 199 to win Class B at the Florida State Shoot. A couple of months later I had my first (and only) 200 straight, still in B. That took me into A Class.

One of my shooting buddies had his first 100 straight in D Class, then his Dad had his first in B.

None of us were sandbaggers, we simply shot the best we could wanting to win whatever event we were in.

I have seen other shooters I know shoot great scores in lower classes. Not consistently, but from time to time. One, in C I believe, shot his only 100 straight but never has gotten close again.

Bob

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes it is probable given the number of shooters you mentioned.

Like others, I posted my first 100x100 as a B class shooter and it didn't take 1,000 trips to the line to get it done either. If you can run 5 you can run 25, if you can run 25 you can run 50 ..... it happens and if it didn't most of us would have dropped this silly game long ago.

It also happens about 5 or 10 times in a thousand that a AA shooter with several 100x100s under their belt turns in a truly B class (or worse) score for no apparent reason. Most of them get over it and understand they lost the match to someone that had their game working that day and posted a better score ...... could be a lesson in that.

18. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

I wonder how people are supposed to move up in class without bein accused of sandbagging. There are sandbaggers out their I'm sure, but I've got more important things to worry about in trap than what other people are doin.
    Travis Crist

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Possible? are you kidding me? You have a class shooters who have dropped down because the average has put them in B class. You have good shooters on the way up and old shooters that have dropped down who had a tune up session with the coach the day before!

In A, AA you know a 99 most often will not do it. The problem with B class is that at any kind of large shoot a 99 will not do it either.

It can be the hardest class of them all as far as I am concerned. A b class average will not win a b class event at any but the smallest shoots.

Hate to pee in your cheerios but that is the way it is. Jeff

20. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

If you break your average, your not going to win your class. Thats true with all classes. a shooter with a 99 average isn't going to win AAA with a 99, and a B class shooter with a 93 average isn't going to win with a 93. Travis Crist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.