1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

B&C vs H-S Precision Stocks for Rem 700?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Looking to upgrade the stock on my Rem 700.

Kinda zeroed in on Bell and Carlson or H-S Precision. I like the HS designs a little better, but the B&C can be had a little cheaper brand new than the HS stocks can be bought used for. I've chased a couple HS stocks on ebay, but am not in that much of a hurry to pay top $ for one.

Doing a little research online, on B&C vs HS threads, B&C is the preferred stock, by a 3-1 or 4-1 margin. I'm reading that B&C are fiberglass all the way through, but HS is a foam-type core with a hard outer shell.

I always figured that HS was the standard when it came to stocks in this price range, and am surprised to see the preference for B&C.

I'm comfortable with the $200ish range new or used, so Manners and McMillan are out of the picture.

Any thoughts?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

This is the one I currently have my eye on.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I asked Tom Houghton, Sr, CEO if H-S Precision here why he never patented his aluminum bedding block system. He said it was too late. Tom and I hunted together and I accompanied him and helped man their booth at the Shot Show in Dallas long ago.

As a result B&G and others now copy the original design of the H-S stocks.

H-S makes rifles on their own action design, similar to the Remington 700. I have two; 223 varmint and 280. Both are absolutely and literally tack drivers. 5 shots in the same hole, target photographed in their underground range.

Tom did patent his Model 700 style take-down rifle.

They supply the FBI, Secret Service and Capitol Police with their tactial rifles.

WW

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

Any rifle stock with a solid aluminum bedding block should be slightly better than one with 'just' pillars installed. And Pillars better than no pillar/no block.

For two different stocks with a solid bedding block, the bedding technique and quality will be the key step to ensure best performance (all other factors equal) for your rifle. A well bedded pillar set up is better than a sloppy job on the monobloc.

I have used McMillan, H&S and the top line Hogue and all work well. I have not used a Bell and Carlson but see no reason why it won't be as good as all the others.

A thought to ponder. Composite stocks don't warp or shift like wood stocks so an automatic 'free float' approach to bedding barrel may not be the optimal.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

I had a "close relative" Bell and Carlson to what you are looking at. It was OK, but I like the HS Precision I have a lot better. On the only examples of each that I have ever owned the HS had better fit and finish.

My experience/ observations are from a small sample size so there is likely variability out there.

6. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Go H&S, I lost adeer because of the flex in the forearm of a Bell &Carlson cabelite stock.

I had a good rest across a stump , put too much down pressure on the fore end , causing a feather weight bbl to flex up , shot right over him at 236 yds.( measured by range fider ) . Never had any movement with my H&S stocks. This includes 3 high power target rifles, and I get so tight into the slings I almost cut off the circulation in my hand.

Oh the carbelite, it ended up in cut of pieces, ( some satisfaction ! )

JMO. Tommy Terex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700 remington vs hs precision stock
b anc c vs hs precision
bell and carlson vs h s precesion
bell and carlson vs hs precision
h s precision stocks for rem 700

hs precision vs bell and carlson

hs precision vs bell and carlson stocks
pillar bedding tutorial