1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

B-52 Over Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Off the wall question: Yesterday, I saw some kind of military twin engine jet fly low and loud over the Glendale Forest Lawn area of Los Angeles. A minute or two later, it was followed by a B-52!! Awesome to view; was this flyover part of the NHRA show in Pomona or was there an air show planned for the weekend that may have been sadly cancelled due to fires? Wow, those B-52's are majestic, loud, scary, impressive, and awesome all at the same time. And that plane first came on the scene over 50 years ago. Amazing IMO.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

I remember many hours sitting in the boat fishing, up in N. Michigan in the 70's and 80's, with those suckers roaring overhead. Wurtsmith AFB was a SAC base with a sh-load of them, back when it was open. During the Cold War, they kept those things running, 24 hrs. a day, 365 days a year...they always had them either in the air, flying out over Lake Huron, or else sitting on the tarmac with the engines running. Most likely nuclear-armed, at least a percentage of them, never knew which ones, and ready to go at moment's notice. We'd sit and watch them come over the treeline, out over the lake, the trail of smoke disappearing almost to the horizon...then, they'd turn around way out there, and you'd see their lights heading back in. It was awesome watching them and the tankers, taking off and landing. It was weird...even the deer didn't bat an eye, at the sound of them going overhead, they were so used to it.

Went to sleep many a night with the sound of those things in my head. Now when I go up there, with the base long since closed...it's "creepy," the silence of the place.

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I agree hell of a big plane (BUF), in 73 or 74 in Fla. they were doing low level runs all around central Fl. flying from MacDill AFB in Tampa. The things come out of know where, just above tree top level.
    I have know idea what or why they were doing but it was cool and scared the crap out of you when it happened. I saw them in a pastureland and woods area 45 miles East of Bradenton, Fl. They flew North to South.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

P.B. Wurtsmith, Kincheloe, Selfridge ANG...now only Selfridge remains.

But Wurtsmith sure had a sh-load of 'em...Oscoda became nothing but a fishing and snowmobiling town, once that place closed up.

At least Kincheloe got a prison out of the deal...

5. david

david Member

I was driving up Gower heading towards the 101 on Friday around 11:00am looking up at the Hollywood sign, when a B1-B bomber flew over head and then a few minutes later a B52 bomber, it was cool!!

David

6. BMC

BMC Member

Not a B-52 but the first time I've seen the new DC10 Fire Tanker in action over suburban SoCal today. Unfortnately it didn't keep my friends house from burning to the ground.

These things are incredible up close and so low.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob-8iqeP1mw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob-8iqeP1mw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cool. I haven't seen a "Buff" (B-52) in the air since we lived in Omaha (through Dec 1969). They'd sometimes roar over the house.<br>
    <br>
    Went back in 2004 and saw one in the SAC Museum. They even have a B-36 in there, which is even bigger than the B-52. My favorite there was B-58 Hustler.

8. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Should have bunched up the trash people in L.A. and let the 52 drop a load of bombs on them.

9. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Buzz,

Lived with my sister a couple miles north and about 5 miles inland from Wurtsmith last quarter of 1972 and first quarter of 1973. Brother-in-law was assigned to a B-52. The 'touch & go' exercises for the B-52 and tankers were awesome. They always seemed to take-off north and then make the big loop around to the left, idling over her farm low and slow -- a beautiful sight. Could hear the thrust from take-off as if it were next door.

10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I'm from northern Wisconsin and in the 60's the B-52's would fly over every day at tree top level. The ground would skake. Sometime you could watch them refuel at low level. Some days they would throw out tinsel that would cover the ground for miles. Fighter jets would make low level passes over the lakes and almost skim the water. Sometimes the jets would be in formation at tree top level. We thought they were trying to stay under the radar. We were sure they were putting on a show just for us.

11. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

Unloader, I don't think there were ever B-52's stationed at Selfrige. Wurtsmith, Kincheloe and Sawyer, yes-----but not Selfrige, which I believe was only a fighter-interceptor base.

12. Laudygirl

Laudygirl TS Member

What was going on with all those planes flying over Hollywood today? Some callers wondered if it was that attack Joe Biden talked about during the presidential campaign. Turns out, it was a flyover marking Los Angeles' first Air Force Week. Details from the organizers.

[The flyover includes] aircraft like U-2 Dragon Lady surveillance plane made historic when its pilot, Francis Gary Powers, survived being shot down while over the Soviet Union in 1960 and eventually came to Los Angeles as a TV news helicopter pilot; and also a single engine, multi-role F-16 Fighting Falcon, equally capable of handling combat against enemy aircraft and striking enemy targets with devastating accuracy.

Other flyovers are the B-1 Lancer supersonic bomber, the only variable-sweep wing aircraft in the U.S. military inventory, and the F-22 Raptor, the Air Force’s incredible stealth fighter unmatched by any known or projected fighter aircraft.

Other aircraft participating in the flyover are the world’s most versatile airlift aircraft, the C-17 Globemaster III, with a maximum payload of 170,900 pounds. The C-17 airlifts injured personnel, provides humanitarian assistance around the world in the aftermath of natural disasters and even brought Keiko the killer whale, star of "Free Willy," back to his home in Iceland. Additionally, you will see the legendary B-52 Stratofortress, which has the longest unrefueled range of any contemporary bomber.

You knew this would happen: "Police and the Star News office both received multiple calls about the planes Friday morning."

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

One of those B-1s crashed a few years ago, not too far from Slide Actions' homeplace in Ky.

14. david

david Member

Got this from some website.

There will be a big show of military air power this morning over Griffith Park, Hollywood and Downtown LA:

Air Force Week "comes to our airspace and ear-space" this Friday, November 14th. Shortly after 11:00am, there will be flyovers by two F-16 fighters, a B-1 bomber, an old B-52 Stratofortress, a C-17 transport and a vintage U-2 spy plane, in the Los Angeles area. The fifteen minute air show will start over the Griffith Park area and proceed over the the Silverlake/Franklin Hills area to a ceremony at the Hollywood andHighland Center in Hollywood. Since the planes will be as low as 500 feet, the Air Force warns,

"...these aircraft are loud, even when in compliance with all FAA altitude and speed restrictions. Additionally, the rising terrain to the north and west will only amplify the noise."

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

I remember swimming in Lake Huron many times when a B-52 would come over. I'd always stick my head under water, and although I'm sure it was an illusion, I'd have swore I could still hear it under there.

Couple years back, I think I saw a news item where the Rolls Royce aircraft engine plant here in Indianapolis got a contract to replace engines on B-52s. At 8 a plane, I recall thinking, "Gee, that must be a hell of a contract."

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was a tail gunner in one during Uncle Lyndon's Southeast Asian Barbeque, they were and still are a hell of a bird. We flew out of Anderson AFB in Guam at times, it would make your a hole pucker up, we would take off in a D model with 305,000 lb fuel load and 68,000 lb bomb load, the heat made the density altitude way up there, and the D's weren't as powerful as the H models they fly now, but we took every inch of the runway and then some, as we would have to dive off of the cliff, over the ocean on runway 17 to pick up speed, wouldn't do it again, I was only alot younger back then, and brain would take over now and tell me not to get in there.

On the A-F models the gunner rode in the tail,and they used Pratt and Whitney J 57 turbo jets on the G&H models the gunners were moved to the cockpit, the G's still used about the same engines but the H's had TF 33 turbo fans, a much more powerful engine.
    I used to have tons of pictures that I took while we were on bomb runs, my sorry assed ex wife took them all when we got divorced, wish I still had them as there were some real good ones, although we weren't supposed to take them.

They have plans to rebuild the H's and say that they are going to fly them until they are 100 yrs old, that's along time to be in the air

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think the B-52's were also at Wurtsmith, not Selfridge, Selfridge being a Michigan Air National Guard base since '72 or so....

18. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One time, while I was at Blythville AFB Arkansas, I was "privileged" to be in a truck that was held just off the runway during an Operational Readiness Inspection. The ORI simulated a full battle launch of a B-52 Squadron on minimum notice.

First thing we saw was the traffic control signal (a ground mounted red light similar to a traffic light). Shortly there was a cloud of black smoke visible from the far end of the runway. That was the takeoff roll of the KC-135 tankers that lead the "procession". after several of them went by us, maybe 300-400 elevation then the black cloud got a lot darker! The B-52s were taking off. First you saw the thin fuselage and then the dropping down wings could be seen. The wings actually bent upward as the take off roll continued. It was amazing to see the amount of flex in those wings. When the 52s rolled past us, they were maybe 50 feet altitude and only one or two hundred feet forward of our location.

Let me tell you, A B-52 at full takeoff power just a hundred feet away is LOUD beyond belief. The Dodge Power Wagon we were in was literally bouncing on the road from the noise, turbulence and jet exhaust. It was, literally. a once in a lifetime event!

19. chuckles

chuckles Member

I spent several years in SAC, at one time I helped run a B-52 Mobil Simulator at Minot AFB, NDak....quite an experience duplicating hazardous conditions for the pilots...storms, engine failures, control failures, etc...all the B-52 pilots had to have a minimum number of flight hours per month and at least half were obtained in the simulator...the actual simulator was 2 railroad cars of about 40' each, all Shinny Aluminum surfaced to look like a B52...???

the actual cockpit area was an exact duplicate of an actual cockpit...all the rest of the rail cars were lounges, office and computer contaiment.

All the pilots loved it and would request their favorite situations for practice....I have many hours flying the simulator, hardest element was always the landing, especially under control failure conditions.....

We had numerous "Cocoa Alerts"....17 B-52 G's taking off at full power at 25 to 30 second intervals...we would then be evaluated on the excersise ...

We had a major Alert Readiness condition during the Cuban Missle Crisis, very high alert situation...

Later worked SAC out of Barksdale AFB, 2nd Bomb Wing Shreveport-Bossier City, LA...a totally different situation, Vietnam just cranking up and a lot of precision bombing runs daily.

A different world, a different time, a different place...

I still do the Air Shows at Selfridge, Willow Run, Kalamazoo and run into old buddies from time to time...

regards

20. chuckles

chuckles Member

John, Honors to your father, he deserved them...

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.