1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

B-52 MITO departure Must Watch......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

This is How Our Ladies Roll!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJ7niLYSVFo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJ7niLYSVFo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

B-52 MITO departure, Minot AFB, ND

Alert response and 15-ship B-52 Minimum Interval Take-Off (MITO), in support of

Exercise GLOBAL THUNDER, Minot AFB, ND, June 09

Kick Ass......

Jerbear

2. willing

willing Member

Things have lightened up over the years. My father was taking pictures outside the fence(Eglin AFB, 1960) and the APs came along and took his film, let him keep the camera. These planes are older than the guys flying them. I don't know why they call them BUFs, I think they're pretty.

Bill

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I understand "lift", but the wings go from droopy to level to slightly upturned as the wing "lifts" the plane. Indeed it is a short interval take off

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

you think these wings drop you whould see the Black Bird wings when it is just sitting

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

First Item: BUF = Big Ugly Fellow (sometimes the last initial may be interpreted as another F word!)

Next, Once when I was pulling a temporary duty at Blythville AFB, Arkansas, I had the distinct "pleasure" of being in a power wagon that was stopped by the traffic control device at the end of the runway. That is a ground mounted traffic light. The person stationed with us at the base told us to look at the far end of the runway. First came a big black cloud of smoke. That was followed by a whole series of KC-135 Tankers taking off at close intervals. The 135's cleared the end of the runway at maybe a couple hundred feet altitude.

Next came a REALLY BIG black cloud at the end of the runway. Very soon there was a drooping wing B-52 rolling at us. The guy with us told us to hold our hands over our ears and open our mouths. Then the first of maybe 15 BUFs left the runway. We were sitting maybe a hundred feet off the side of the runway at right at the runway's end. Well let me tell you. IT WAS LOUD!!!~. The BUF was at maybe 50 feet altitude and when it went by, that big old Dodge Power Wagon started bouncing on the ground! The scene repeated at maybe 30 or 45 second intervals till the last of the BUF were airborne then we got a green light and could continue. If you think a video is impressive, try sitting almost directly under one of these things at full power takeoff!

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dixie Drifter - How many trees are at Minot? Not many I'd guess.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dixie, I went through basic training at Amarilla in Tx due to a Meningitis outbreak in San Antonio. My TI told us the first day that we got there that if we made it through basic we would have a weekend off before we left for Tec school and that we would really enjoy it as there was a girl behind every tree. I saw a lot of bushes but no trees. LOL As a matter of fact a drunk tried to rob me when I finally made it to town. He was surprised to find that I had a knife too as I had finished basic and was given my knife back. Jackie B..

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Beng a SAC guy I spent some time at Minot AFB, ND and Barksdale AFB, LA among many other bases and places in the 1960's....back then we called them ORI's or Operation Readiness Inspections.

They were truly a thing to behold, awesome display of power and precision.

If you were in one of the B52's you were totally consumed by the effort to perform in a flawless manner, once airborne you could relax, it was all about getting off the ground in a certain timeframe....

Normally Pilots and crew were not informed of the ORI... it came as a total surprise to us, Godforbid if you were in the crapper when the Klaxons went off.

regards

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was a tail gunner in buffs back in 71-76, I was stationed in Ellsworth outside of Rapid City SD, we had G models at that time, and A model tankers, they both used the J-57 turbo jet engines, the H models in the video were TF 33 engines, a turbo fan, but when we had and ORI or they "blew the pad" during every MITO I was on it was always tanker, bomber, tanker, bomber, etc, and it seemed we were closer to each other than they do it today, but the first crew was lucky, after that it got real smokey, the old J 57's would put out a cloud of smoke, during the warm weather we would use water injection for thrust augmentation, and they REALLY smoked then.

I used to kinda get spooked during MITO's because alot of the time we were rolling before the tanker in front had cleared the runway, and a loaded KC 135, wasn't exactly a rocket sled, I could always see somebody abort and there would have been a big pile of burning aluminum at the scene.

I went to SE Asia 5 times (the good old 179 day TDY)I was there during Linebacker II in 72, when we whipped the shit out of NV, but had to quit because of all the bullshit back here.

A few times we flew out of Anderson AFB on D model buffs, we would take off with a 305,000 lb fuel load, and 68,000 LB of bombs, we would generally leave early in the morning when it was the coolest so the density altitude was at it's lowest, but we would and up using all the runway, and do a little dive off the cliff at the end of runway 17 to gain air speed

Sorry to bore ya'll, but the old girls just bring back some memories, I was 18 when I did that, glad it's over, but I did have a hell of a lot of fun in Thailand

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdm0Z1HIwfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdm0Z1HIwfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ss

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Dixie:

Likewise. I remember as a youngster at Fairchild watching them roll off and knowing one of them was my Dad. Now if you want a really cool one, a night launch of B-58s was the ultimate.

My Father's wish came true, his son never spent a day in SAC. I went Navy. :)

HJH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

b-52 departure

b-52 mito