1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Awlaki killing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Traders, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Has there been any information printed on how the CIA was able to track Awlaki in Yemen. And, i wonder if it is true that he was an American citizen.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    He sure did not act like a US citizen, and many believe his actions show he rejected it.

But be that as it may, it was decided he was an "imminent threat" to the USA and he was thus placed on a kill or capture list:

On April 6, The New York Times also reported that President Obama had authorized the targeted killing of al-Awlaki.[19] The CIA and the U.S. military both maintain lists of terrorists linked to al-Qaeda and its affiliates who are approved for capture or killing.[19] Because he is a U.S. citizen, his inclusion on those lists was approved by the National Security Council.[19] U.S. officials said it is extremely rare, if not unprecedented, for an American to be approved for targeted killing.[19] The New York Times reported that international law allows the use of lethal force against people who pose an imminent threat to a country, and U.S. officials said that was the standard used in adding names to the target list.[19] In addition, Congress approved the use of military force against al-Qaeda after 9/11.[19] People on the target list are considered military enemies of the U.S., and therefore not subject to a ban on political assassinations approved by former President Gerald Ford.[194] Al-Awlaki's tribe wrote, "We warn against cooperating with America to kill Sheik Anwar al-Awlaki. We will not stand by idly and watch."[194]

See the link for a wealth of details about Anwar al-Awlaki. You'll see clearly he was an imminent threat to the US, and that his actions make dubious the claims he was a US citizen.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: The New York Times reported that international law allows

Whats that got to do with American Law?

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

i am glad the bastard is dead BUT....

Does the President or anyone else have the legal authority to issue a death warrant against any citizen without a trial? If so, under what circumstances? Where does this authority come from for doing so? How are other citizens protected against such actions? Could Peresident Bush have order the death of candidate Gore or Kerry? Could President Carter have ordered the death of candidate Reagan?

These are not rhetorical questions. Rather, they go to the heart of constitutional governhment as opposed to strong man government.

Again, I am glad he is dead but what else died with him?

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What does the constitution say about dealing with traitors? Especially those that have made taped and written statements about purposely killing those of his own native born country?

6. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (and his buddies)

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

He was a Muslim terrorist and a threat to all of the world. My only regret is that I didn't get to pull the trigger on the SOB.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ANY Al-Quaeda is an enemy combatant.

No dilemma here AFIK.

Of course, the pukes will be out in force denouncing.

HM

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess he shouldn't have ran.

10. Landshark

Landshark Member

The bastage is dead. That's all that matters. No use in splitting hairs on the law.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What's all this have to do with trapshooting?

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Dunham will be pulling him out a suitcase before long and doing a comedy routine with him. LOL

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Traders, Just Curious...how come you didn't post this in the political or off-topic category for this type of topic? Barry is right, not trapshooting related. Doesn't seem to fit here. Ed

14. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I continue to wonder where is the OUTRAGE from the Democrat Party...you remember...the ones who wanted civilian trials for actual enemy combatants...???
    Where are the cries for international tribunals to bring Obama to justice.....???
    Why are the same people who were soooo upset about the CIA pouring water on a prisoner's face, and making him listen to rock music....TOTALLY SILENT when Obama murders an American citizen without due process...????
    Just so you know....I'm OK with it...I also have a hit list of people like this goon Obama got. You know ...people who make a career of hating America, lecturing about destroying America. Doing their darndest to in fact kill American citizens, AND have done so. Bill Ayres and his sweet little thug wife are at the top of my list....wonder when Obama will send a Hellfire their way...?????

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

This is a shooting related thread. The US shot and killed an enemy combatant and treasonous SOB with a hell fire missle from a predator drone. I say break 'em all!

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Predator drone+Hellfire......takes the stigma out of water boarding.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

birdogs
    Yea... a president can put his opponents on the hit list. I can't believe the assinine analogy.

When you declare war on your country you give up your rights as a citizen. When you denounce your US citizenship and declare war on your country AND become the english speaking face to the world of that group you get put on the hit list.

He knew he was on the list. All he had to do was come home and face the music for his actions.

birdogs,

In spite of political correctness we still hold people responsible for their actions. The only sad thing is we can only kill him once.

Nothing died with him. No liberty has been given up. You have choices to make in life tthat come with consequences. His carried deadly consequences. Jeff

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Traders:

There was an earlier thread about al awlaki getting his ticket punched. Almost exactly 24 hours before you started THIS thread, I made the following comments...

"al awlaki's non-citizen parents procreated in the U.S. Otherwise, he wouldn't have met ANY definition of citizen."

"The progeny of several million illegal aliens plus al awlaki is why we are way past due to reconsider automatic citizenship for anyone born here."

I first became aware of the anchor baby issue some years ago. Prior to that, I had never thought much about a definition for American citizen. Prior to al awlaki, the idea of intentionally targeting an American citizen for death had never occured to me. I'm convinced we are as a society, way past due to discuss and debate both topics.

The concepts are simple. The details are not. For example, if the criteria for making the 'kill or capture list' was as easy as anti-American behavior, most of Obummer's friends would be in deep poop.

Bill Ayers and his communist wife Bernardine Dohrn, come to mind. Ayers co-founded the Weather Underground in 1969. A self-described communist revolutionary group the Weather Underground kept itself busy bombing public buildings.** Dohrn was one of the organization's leaders. People were killed by Ayers' and Dohrn's actions.

A final point... One of the media talking heads posed the following question:

"What if some president we trusted less than Obummer had made the decision to target al awlaki?"

I can't answer that. There has never been a president I trusted less. I'm not sure what some future president would need to do for me to trust him or her less than Obummer.

sissy

** from Bill Ayers entry in Wikipedia.org

19. Barry C. Roach

This is a TRAPSHOOTING Site with a category designated for OFF TOPIC discussion. Use it.

20. Barry C. Roach

America is not an anarchistic country. It is a country in dire need of order and common sense by it's citizenry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.