1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Awesome SCTP shoot at Coon Creek

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Saturday we had 205 kids and 43 squads at the 2nd event on the Northern California SCTP calendar at Coon Creek Trap & Skeet. It sure is a wonderful sight to see the parking lot full at the trap club.

The shoot was held with a strong wind blowing in the morning but some excellent scores were posted and by mid afternoon the wind had abated and the shootoffs were held in ideal conditions. Congratulations to all the kids for their conduct and SAFE shooting. It is a joy to be around these youngsters. Everybody affiliated with the California SCTP has a right to be very proud of these kids.

Coon Creek really knows how to look after the junior shooters. Trap clubs are magnets for characters and George Ahart is no exception, still a kid at heart and always wearing a smile and sporting a quick wit, George’s unbridled enthusiasm is infectious and sets the mood for the crew working the shoot and the event went off without a hitch. George is also generous beyond bounds when it comes to the kids and promoting youth shooting.

After the trap shoot the Olympic bunker was opened so the kids had a chance to shoot the Olympic style. It’s interesting to watch the best young trap shooters step up the bunker and make the adjustment to the Olympic version without too steep a drop in scores. It’s too bad the Olympic bunker is not more widely available, the kids that shoot it love the challenge of bunker and crave more opportunities to shoot it.

Next up is Stockton, another fine facility that also knows how to promote youth in shooting. It’s also home to the National Champion SCTP Skeet team.

2. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Congratulations to George and Joan Ahart for putting on an excellent progran. Also many thanks to all those volunteers that make this program what it is. And one must remember this was the Easter weekend and as such we lost many shooters. But turnout was great and and again thanks to George and Joan. This program is flourishing in California. Restrited only by the loss of great clubs such as Sacrmento. And thanks to all the participants. - Jim Elliott

3. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

who won the events and with what scores? thanks

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Cole,
    I'll have to get the results and post them. I know the varsity was won with a 99 and the jr varsity was won with a 96. as for intermediate and rookies i have no idea. daniel tate won the jr varsity in a shootoff. that young man has been well schooled by his dad, the well known gunmaker, dale tate. to watch daniel shoot is a joy to behold, he has a very graceful style.

i'd like to read more reports from the field about the various scholastic events going on around the country. for the life of me i don't know why the ATA doesn't consider the SCTP events rounds as registered, they only count the State and National rounds and exclude all the SCTP event rounds from a shooters target year. weird, considering that the events are run and sanctioned by the national governing body which for trap is the ATA.

5. Big Gun

Big Gun TS Member

You can go to casctptrap.com and see all the results for the SCTP Trap shoots in California. Also there are pictures posted. The reason the local shoots are not registered is we would have to pay the daily fee of $5/shooter. That is over $1,000 out of our program for this Saturday alone. The kids only shoot 100 targets at these local tournaments.
    When we go to the state shoot the contestants shoot 200 targets and these have to be registered. The Rookies shoot 100 targets. The cost for a Rookie to shoot these 100 targets is $20 for the targets, $10 to join the ATA (1/2 price), $7 to join the CGSTA (full price), $5 daily fee ($2 for the ATA & $3 for the CGSTA). Total cost for their first 100 registered targets = $42. This is for kids in the 5th grade and under.
    The SCTP is not run by the ATA nor are these shoots run by the ATA. The program is run by the NSSF through local volunteers. In fact we run our own state shoot in conjunction with Kingsburg Gun Club. We do run our shoots under the ATA rules.
    The primary objective of this program is to introduce new shooters to the shooting sports. Many of them go on to shoot registered targets.
    Gail Miller
    CA SCTP State Trap Director

6. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

I am for registering targets for the SCTP. I think that if you look at the rule book you will find that the rules state that all members of a SCTP team need to be members in good standing BEFORE the state competition for one one thing...last year at out state shoot I can not begin to count the number of new and renewal ATA/CGSTA forms that had to be filled out on the day before the state shoot. To me that is a shame...the SCTP was started to introduce young shooters into a youngster starved sport....and now the only time these kids are encourgaed to shoot in a registered shoot is at their state shoot, with the hope of going to the Grand American and shooting in that ATA shoot..I think to be able to have that right they need to support the ATA a little more and that would be by paying the very nominal fee of 3.00 to the ATA and 2.00 to the state...5.00...this is not a huge amount regardless of the age of the child shooting...as for the rookie division only shooting 100 rounds...in an ATA situtation most events are 100 rounds and the fees are DAILY fees...this is only charged once regradless if the shooter shoots 1 event or 3...so to say that the charge is unfair for the 5th graders is not really a fair arguement as all shooters are charged this daily. The fee to join the ATA and the CGSTA is going to be charged at one time or another and is not charged each shoot so that is a one time a year charge that is mandatory anyway, again refering to the rule book for the SCTP it states that to compete as a SCTP member you need to be member in good standing of the National Governing body (in this case the ATA/CGSTA) to be eligible to compete so this should be paid as of Sept 1st anyway or at the first opportuninty, not at the state shoot...While the SCTP may not be run through the ATA it is governed by that body and states this in the rule book...I think that the clubs and kids need to start registering shoots to support the organization that this was meant to agument,....I will state it again I AM FOR REGISTERING SCTP SHOOT THROUGHOUT THE YEAR!!!!...Kids shooting 1000 or more targets and not having that average on their ATA card is a shame and not right...

We have a very small SCTP team and not one parent has objected to registered targets and in fact most of our shooters go to ATA shoots on a regular basis, this is true for a few of the teams that are in the area around us also...Our team fund raises and we try to keep the cost to the parents to a minimum as much as possible, but the bottom line is if the kids are committedmost parents will make it work. No sport I know of is without cost or entry fees or taveling fees in this day and age it seems to be the norm, so again the 5 dollar arguement to me seems trival

Kym Hughes
    SCTP coach Santa Maria,Calif
    CGSTA Director

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.