1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Awesome Junior Olympic shoot at Triple B

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

This past weekend my son had the pleasure of shooting at Triple B in the Junior Olympic event, it was his very first international trap event. I had the pleasure of watching the finest group of young people I have seen at a shooting event. I am a huge fan of SCTP and the benefits that program brings to thousands of our young people, but these kids shooting CICSTA were at another level altogether. Three of the shooters were current members of the USA shooting team and the rest of the entrants were all aspiring hopefuls. The USA shooters shot like they belonged, incredible talent and wonderful ambassadors of the sport. The other kids all did very well and shot very respectable scores, my son shot a qualifying score and didn't stop jabbering the whole long drive home. Bunker is not easy. I have shot it a few times just to say I had done it and it is very humbling. One of the young men (Destry Hunt) shot his first clean round and it was wonderful to see the entire roster line up to shoot his hat. Great kids, great talent, excellent line etiquette, safe, polite, good sports and supported by a dedicated band of parents, officials and referees. If my 1st experience is any indication of how things are run in the international shooting arena then the future is something to look forward to. My personal thanks to Steve Lakatos, BJ McDaniel, Mike Flores and Charlie Redding - my son did not win anything (and that wasn't the point anyway) but you all had a hand in making his experience very special.

Encourage your kids to try the international games - all I see are happy, smiling faces and sometimes magic happens.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Wildcat.... We will be doing the same thing on the east coast this weekend...

Just a reminder that the Florida State JO and SCTP Olympic Trap and Skeet Shoot will be held at the Gator Skeet and Trap Club this coming weekend July 21-22. This is a opportunity for an outstanding Junior Shooter to make their way to the National Shoot in September in Colorado Springs. One of last years winners Maranda Wilder will be representing the US at the upcoming World Championships in Cyprus.

Tom Baber

3. KK

KK TS Member

ffwildcat, do you know if a young man by the name of Tucker Johnson was shooting with the Olympic squad at the Triple B shoot? I shot with Tucker a number of times at various PITA trap events and then a little more than a year ago he made the switch to bunker and began training for the Olympics at the Hillsbourgh Trap Club in Hillsbourgh, Oregon. I kind of lost track of him after he made the switch, but there is not a nicer young man in the sport and he has tremendous potential. Up until the time he made the decision to train for the Oympics he was dominating many of the registered PITA shoots that he entered here on the West Coast. Kirby Kelley

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Kirby,

I know Tucker well. He shoots at Coon Creek and is as you say a fine young man and an incredibly gifted shooter. Tucker did not shoot at the JO's at Triple B, I believe he shot at the National Championships in San Antonio earlier this summer and gained an automatic invitation to the National JO's to be held at Colorado Springs in September. Tucker is an example of the committment necessary to make it to the top levels, he drives almost every weekend from Klamath Falls, OR to Lincoln, CA to shoot the bunker. When he is on he can shoot lights out. I have heard of his PITA exploits, we don't get to see him shoot much American Trap these days.

One other thing i forgot to mention about the JO's at Triple B.......no fancy leather bags, no gun carts, no toe pads.........no trickery of any kind. they dump their shells into their vest pockets, grab their gun, get on out to the line and let their shooting do the talking. what a breath of fresh air that was!

The 3 USA Shooters were Mara Desso, Brian Burrows (ranked #8 in the USA) and Jake Wallace - they really put on an exhibition of quality shooting. Jake shot a very good score and took 1st place, 16 yrs old, very impressive.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Let me tell you about Brian Burrows.... I have been offering a prize of $100 cash to any shooter that can shoot a perfect 25 in the single barrel final of any shoot that I attend. No one has come close except Brian. He ran 24 perfect single barrel hits at Colorado Springs in the Junior Mens Final in May. I was standing there with a 100 dollar bill in my hand when he missed the last bird. To give you an indication of how tough this is there have only been three 25's shot since the inception of the single barrel final. A russian shooter has done it twice and Matt Wallace of the Army team did it at a shoot earlier this year. Fortunately for my wallet I was not present.

Brian is an outstanding shooter.

Tom Baber

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The trapshooters on the list should read that again.
    Since the inception of the single shot final only 3 people have shot a clean round of 25.
    Think bunker is easy? Go try it sometime. The kids I know that shoot it love it and find American trap too slow and boring. That is not a putdown, just an observation.

7. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

ffwildcat Your son shot very well the Remington 3200 served him well you should be proud is it time to start shooting international skeet yet? see you at coon creek
    are you going to CO. Springs? If so see you there. BREAK EM ALL

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I don't know about skeet just yet John. Hard enough to focus on one discipline let alone 3! He will be going to CO Springs, I think it is a fantastic opportunity for a young person and who knows when it will come around again. As for your son, if Evan's scores keep up with his shooting from last weekend then he'll really give some folks a run for their money in CO. He shot incredibly well at Triple B and had fun doing it. We're off to the PITA Grand next week but as soon as we get back then it's bunker time.

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I shot with Tucker this weekend at Coon Creek. We were on the same doubles squad on Sunday. He shot doubles "cuz he didn't have anything else to do" whilst waiting for the shoot to be over, so he could shoot some bunker! Said the doubles were way too slow (well of course they are), but we still had a good time. It was probably the only time in my lifetime that I was able to keep up with him! Poor guy really had to slow things down. Loads of fun though.

Congrat's to all of your kids - bunker is really tough (I love it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.