1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AveragEd has it correct

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

"I used to post on here daily and would answer any question posted by anyone but tired of being ridiculed for simply stating what has worked for me, others I know or in this area. Accordingly, I've pretty much adopted the policy of speaking when spoken to.

It's great that we have a current EC member and some former delegates active on this board but I, too, have to wonder how long that will continue given the immaturity and disrespect demonstrated by some posters."

Ed

I have always enjoyed reading Ed's posts. There were others that had much to contribute to ts.com but are no longer here due to the smallness of a few posters. It seems contention is manna to some.

Ed you said it all.

Arnie

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ed is a good man whom we can learn alot from! I hope he adds his voice as often as possible!

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

He's missed!....Bob Dodd

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Yes, he is.

Rollin

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

Ed, I've always enjoyed your research and articles. Few know the amount of time involved to produce the fine testing you do. The ranters, ravers and nitpiks are but a tiny percentage of this forum and should be ignored. They don't even rate a reply as I know you've done repeatedly and in good faith. Keep up the good work!

6. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I always read Ed's page first when each new issue of SHOTGUN SPORTS arrives. I value his opinion as he seems to be an average guy. (Is that a pun?) He is cortious (I apologize for my poor spelling) and knowledgeable. I can't blame him for not posting as much as he used to. Too many thoughtless and inconsiderate posts on here. Ed, thanks!

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I concur with the other posters. Stay with us, Ed. We value your experience and insight.

From a fellow Pennsylvanian, living in exile in the burnin' state....

8. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

ed's articles should be in the front of the mag and mr. cantu's should be in the back cause thats how they get read here. ed keep on posting i like your opinions.jackmitch

9. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

"He is a modest man; but then, he has much to be modest about." -W. Churchill

In "shotgun" publications, I basically divide the writing into 2 categories: 1) Stuff by people like Kiner and Hoppe, and.... 2) everything else.

Hate to spoil what appears to be a first-rate "pity party" getting started here, but I agree with Jim...the guy may have a column, but when he steps on here, he's one of us, no more, no less.

If he has a problem with that, that's his problem.

And if one of the ubiquitous, average, semi-retired talking pens who writes installment #37 of "Chokes and Loads for Argentina Doves" were to set foot here, I'd afford him the same amount of indifference.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Perhaps I need to restate my intentions when I write my articles.

Back in May of 1998, Phil Kiner's column debuted in TRAP & FIELD. I wrote the editor a letter (didn't do email back then) suggesting that while all those ATA All-Americans certainly have a lot to offer, they've accomplished things that 75% of the ATA membership never will. I thought a column written by one of that 75% might be well-received. My telephone rang four days later; I was told that the percentage is more on the order of ninety and I was asked when I wanted to start.

I do not profess to be an expert on anything. I DO attempt to help other shooters who want to improve their game by writing about things that helped me or others I know. When I restarted my trapshooting career in 1989, I was automatically the low man on the squad and would be even if my squadmates were all blind. I used to have a private party when I had a 20 on a trap (at singles!) and running a post was cause for sheer delight. In about the mid-1990s, I decided to do something about that and started learning all I could about shooting a shotgun. I was, after all, good with a rifle and handgun, so my struggles with the shotgun were very frustrating. I got myself into Class "A" for singles and posted a .956x average for three consecutive years. I was consistently mediocre and wanted more, so I sought outside help.

Long story made short, thanks to several clinics (especially Phil Kiner's), I broke my first 200-straight, got punched to the 27 and shot off for my state singles championship in 2000. Obviously, I found some things that work and enjoy helping others improve. I've also spent many years helping run gun clubs and learned about a few things that work there, too.

I don't need nor want a pity-party. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. But I fail to understand the rationale employed by those who love to slam others for their efforts, even if they don't agree with what was said. Offer your opinion if you wish, but flat out telling someone that they're wrong or don't know what they're talking about is simply disrespectful.

I heard about this thread from a friend and appreciate the kind remarks by those hwo have posted to it. But life's too short to get all worked up over a select few - I've found that if I ignore them, one of us will go away.

Ed

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Ed, You have done the things many of us would love to do,,,shoot good scores and have fun doing it ,,,than be able to tell your peers about it on a public forum,,,,We have walked the same trap fields a few times ,,,not on the same squad,,,would love to shoot with you some time,,,KEEP IT UP,,,,Bill Goscinski

12. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I like Ed and his opinions. Have shot in over 40 states for 35 years and you always run into idiots like some who post here. Keep em comin Ed.
    ftlupton

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I have always liked and respected you and I fully understand your position.
    Yesterday, on another thread I asked for advice from Neil on how to suffer a fool. Perhaps your way of doing this is best.

Pat Ireland

14. missemucho

missemucho Member

Ed;
    Count me as another shooter that reads your column in SS first (many times that's all I find interesting in the magazine). Sometimes you have to have a thick skin and a high tolerance for stupidity to survive on this site. The people that constantly log on here slamming people for their opinions or choice of guns aren't fit to carry your keyboard. They can't write an intelligent paragraph, let alone a full, published article.

Signed,
    Another "average shooter" that appreciates your writing and opinions.
    John

15. antique

antique TS Member

Give them Hell Ed.Jim Burk

16. biff

biff Active Member

Lighten up Ed, don't take yourself so serious. After all you are just average, said so yourself! I'm trying to follow that advice myself. So if you have anything to say or add to what is on here feel free to get back in the game. Biff

PS: I read and enjoy your backwards articles in Shotgun Sports, it always leaves me with things to ponder!

17. TC

TC TS Member

Ed- I have always liked and respected you and I fully understand your frustration. There are a few people on here that you just have to ignore. You know who they are, they have a track record that is well established. I never respond to them, never add to their post's.

There are a bunch of us here that appreciate and value your insight. Tony

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Ed, your opinions have been appreciated by me & many others. Don't let some a**hole turn you away. I'm sure many folks looked foreward to you columns as I always have. Back off, take a deep breath, and smile. Keeps them confused.

Another Penna so called shooter,
    Big Jack

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't know Ed, don't read his articles, and don't care if he has a problem with those of us who use AOL ... I do believe he is more into himself than the last few postings he has made reveal and I don't care about that either ... I think Ed should stick to writing about things that are about the shooting sports and mind his own business when it comes to other peoples business ... I do not care for people who profess to know it all and who want to change the world to suit them by telling others who to and not to do business with ... I use AOL now to piss people like him off, and thats my business also ... I use eBay also but thats another story ... If he wants to leave thats his problem, don't leave the door hit you in the ASS ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ed......I urge you to disregard whatever remarks may seem offensive from a few on this site. And I appreciate what you said above! There was a time when it got to me to and I left this site for awhile, but then, I began to realize that those who got to me were definitely in the minority. Most of us respect and welcome the knowledge you have to offer. I would like to again have the valuable benefit of that knowledge......stick with us! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.