1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Ed question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

Some months back Average Ed wrote an article in Shotgun Sports magagzine about recoil reduction and he mentioned a very dense weight he had obtained at a machine shop that he used in the stock's draw bolt hole. Does anyone remember what the weight is or have an email address for Ed that I could contact him directly? Thanks

2. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Email address sent via PM

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I debated lead pipe, mercury filled tubes and the like. When I gave the stock to Ed Yancok to have an adjustable butt plate installed, he suggested a length of cold rolled steel. He cut a 7" length of 7/8" diameter steel, threaded one end and and provided a screw so it could be easily removed. He shaped it to fit against the stock bolt cone and the adjustable butt plate without wobble. It weighted 15 and a fraction ounces and was just the ticket. I will also add that it was much cheaper than any of the alternatives. I could have gained an ounce or so using denser material, but it wasn't worth the extra cost.

4. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

You could contact Mallory directly and purchase a 12" length of their #3000 alloy. Comes in a variety of diameters and you could probably sell what you don't use.

Andy Moreland

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

Thanks for the ideas. What I really want this for is a ltwt sxs. With 28 inch barrels I thought that something like the Mallory Metal might be just the ticket to add some weight to the gun that wouldn't screw up the balance point too much. Something that would be short and heavy and that's when I remembered Ed's article. I could remove it for hunting but add the extra weight to help with recoil for clay targets. Gave me something to think about on a cold, rainy November day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun sports average ed