1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

average card

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

3 way tie in singles. Carried over to the next day, won the carry over. When you record it on your average card in the "win/tie" block........should you record it as a "win" or a "tie"?

2. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Sounds like you won to me. Congrats.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Your first line was "3 way tie in singles." So it must be a tie. The carryover was the next day and another score, correct? That would be a "win" it seems.

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Agree with Hippie. Two days, two different scores.
    Day 1, put a T in the box.
    Day 2, won shoot-off, put a W in the box.
    Mike C

5. Shawn

Shawn Member

Jason has it correct you won the event on the first day.

Had you lost the carry over you would have marked a tie.

Good shooting

Shawn

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have always colored in the tie and the win.....because you did both.

Each to his own, good shooting John and good to see you.

Rick in MT

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry folks, it's a win, for John. Not a tie.

The carry over was merely used as a surrogate score in place of a shoot off.

John won the trophy for the "first day's" event. Not, necessarily, for the second day's event.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Listen to V10, that is the correct answer. Some of those other posts leave me wondering where some come up with these ideas.

Just look at it this way, if you won the trophy, mark a win. If you were one of the guys that tied but did not win the trophy, mark as a tie. Just to rile some of you up: another shooter might ALSO have to mark a win or tie if his score would have won or tied in class even though he won a different trophy - say event champ.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

V10 is correct, once again. The carryover is treated exactly as a shoot off late into the wee hours of the morning.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"The carryover is treated exactly as a shoot off late into the wee hours of the morning."

Just a question don't you need to tie to be in the shoot off????

Just another Grey area in the rulebook. It should be made clearer as it is necessary to tie to get in the shoot off.

Bob Lawless

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Bob:

Not taking a shot at you, but I don't follow what you mean by a grey area in the rule.

If you win the trophy, you mark a win. If you tied but did not win, you mark a tie. It serves no purpose to mark a win AND a tie if that is what you are getting at?

12. bas

bas Member

Keep them straight, V10! They do have funny ideas.

13. ivanhoe

"Not taking a shot at you, but I don't follow what you mean by a grey area in the rule."

I am not taking a shot at you either. If that is what the rule means then say so in the rules. From the document provided by the ATA,link above.

"6 W/T = If you win or tie for your singles class that day you would put a "W" for a win or A "T" for a tie in this column."

Is that what you feel is clear?? Knowing that most that come hear after being given all the information possible on any given rule still argue the point.

All I am saying is if what you have stated is the way it is supposed to be then put it in the rules just that way. Don't leave room for confusion or you will get what you have now damn few that mark anything in the appropriate space.

Bob Lawless

14. BigM-Perazzi

Uh, yes Bob. You do need to tie to be in a carryover/shootoff...

15. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

There's nothing to argue about here guys. If its my average card and I won the carryover then I'd mark the first days event won. Won't it go into trap and field as a win? It was only a tie until the results of the shoot off (carryover) was in, now it's not a tie. Once again, congrats.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank you all for the advice fella's, I've recorded it as a "W".

Had a GREAT time in Great Falls, Rick! .....as expected.

John C. Saubak

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Gee Bob, yeah I think that's pretty clear. W if you win, OR T if you tied. The W is determined after the event is concluded, which means after shootoffs/carryovers if necessary, that is common sense.

"W/T = If you win or tie for your singles class that day you would put a "W" for win or "T" for tie in this column. If you win your category (i.e, veteran), do not enter it as a win or tie unless your score is as high or higher than the class winner." Same thing goes for doubles.

Again, if you won the class trophy, mark a win. If you tied for class but lost out on the class winning trophy after shootoff/carryover, you mark it as a tie. If you won your category, but your score was higher than the score that won your class, you would mark a W. If you won category with a score that tied your class winning score, you'd mark a T. If you won your category with a score lower than your class winning score, you'd make no mark at all. I just don't see a problem as written.

18. ivanhoe

I don't intend to argue the point with you as it would serve no useful purpose.

I will however ask why is it that you feel it is clear enough. Yet every time there is a rule question you and Scott and BigM and a few others spend much time explaining what the rules are saying?????

It would seem to me if what the rules were written to say what they are supposed to mean they wouldn't need to be clarified every time someone can't seem to use common sense. You however seem to feel that it is fine because it is common sense.

The only other thing I don't understand is why you can't seem to understand what I am saying. Yet you seem to understand what all the rules say and some of them are as clear as mud.

Bob Lawless

19. BigM-Perazzi

Your right Bob, I shot a 98, by God I should be in the shootoffs with those guys shooting 100's...

What was I thinking....

20. ivanhoe

Jim "BITE ME" I never said that in any of my posts on this or any other threads. I don't need you putting words in my mouth.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.