1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Card Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by md-11, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md-11

md-11 TS Member

Hopefully someone can answer a question for me. My son and I are new to the ATA registered side of trap shooting. My son ended up with 600 registered targets for 2010 and I ended up with only 350 targets for 2010. We just shot this past weekend and need guidance on how to figure the average for the singles. My question is, since we have such a low target count do we continue figuring the average using last years targets as well or do we figure the average using only the 2011 target scores?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Jeff Daigneau

2. 3357

3357 Member

Use only the 2011 targets, you start with a clean slate every target year.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

By "2010" I'm assuming you mean targets shot before September 1, 2010, right?

Each year's average is only calculated on that year's targets. So your Target Year 2011 average is based on targets shot on or after September 1, 2010.

See the link above for more information on how to fill out your Average Card.

Also, keep in mind that if a tournament ends after September 1st the targets count in the following (new) target year. For example, if you shoot in a tournament that is scheduled to start August 31 and end September 3, all of those targets, even the ones shot on August 31 will be figured in the new target year, not the old (previous) year (Rule book Section II, B.)

Scott Hoover

ATA Delegate, Utah

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep every season your average starts over. Now Handicap yardage stays the same. The season runs from Sept.1st-Aug.31st. Glad you have introduced another young man to our sport. Good luck to both of you.

5. md-11

md-11 TS Member

Thanks for the help everyone. We are both having a lot of fun shooting trap. My son especially so. This last weekend, in Wenatchee, WA my son ended up being the sub jr; handicap champion shooting a very respectable 89 in some very windy conditions. On the last house he dropped his 1'st bird and then ran 24 straight -- missing the 25 straight and his all time high score by one bird. It was nice to hear him say, Oh well, no big deal -- there's always next time!

Once again, thanks everyone, I couldn't find the answer in the ATA rule book or maybe just overlooked it.

Jeff Daigneau

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Actually, it's covered in the By-Laws which are part of the Rule Book.

Rule Book Article XVI (page 89):

"ARTICLE XVI AVERAGES

The shooting averages for each member of this corporation shall be based on the registered targets shot during the twelve (12) month period ending August 31 of each year; however, scores shot at any tournament that ends after August 31, regardless of starting date, will be included in the following year’s averages."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.