1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Card Outdated

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 154, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 154

154 TS Member

All clubs holding registered shoots should be required to use a computer.

2. 154

154 TS Member

Think how much money could be saved if the out dated average card would be done away with.

B. Whacket

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

154- At very many clubs the cashiering/score reporting is done by volunteers. Your suggestion would add some expense to their efforts. A report must be sent to the state treasurer, the state secretary and the ATA. This might add to their work load. I do strongly support the idea that clubs have the option to enter scores directly into the ATA computer and the EC has been working on this idea for some time. This could eliminate at least 50% of the work in the ATA office. Accuracy in entering the data directly is a concern.

Pat Ireland

4. 154

154 TS Member

Work load ! That is "why" a computer is used. I think it is great that volunteers are available and donate their time. The average card system is out dated and to slow for todays shoots. The EC in my opinion is out dated as well. Pat did you not just state it would eliminate 50% of the work at the ata office!!!!!

B Whacket

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Way to go Pat. Don't change anything. We have been doing it this way since the beginning of time. And all those reports that have to be sent, what would happen if you pushed a button and they all went out at the same time. Oh, I forgot, the computer could make a mistake.

I am glad to hear that EC is studying the problem. HMB

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Computers "crash" all the time, last time mine crashed was in Nov of 1998 ... Then what ..?

Pat,
    I think accuracy is important with the shoot reports also, so thats a wash ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. 154

154 TS Member

The shooter is the backbone of this sport not "EC", any recommendations are always met with strong resistance. The ata does not represent todays "shooter" and it is apparent that a alternative Trap Org. is needed to meet the shooters need.

B. Whacket

8. 154

154 TS Member

Ever heard of backup? Beleive me they work and we can get through this but, we can not have dinosaurs at the controls ! Think positive dude.......

B. Whacket

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, remember that guy who wanted unlimited shot speed and didn't have an answer for why it was a good idea? You have been warned.

Sixty posts from now people will begin to realize they are responding with paragraphs to single-sentence "challenges" (note the way the style has already set in?) and the effort is so unequal it's not worth it and in fact wasn't worth it at the start since this thread, "in real life" isn't going anywhere either.

If you resist, he'll just send "vsquared" after you. OK, it won't be vsquared anymore, it'll just be someone asking "Why haven't you responded to 154."

Now he will change his style but not his mind, so that's what we should be on the lookout for and just save our energy. That's his intent anyway - wasting our time.

Neil

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i think average cards should have major wins or punches for wins. it will alert the classificaton person put person in right class.

11. 154

154 TS Member

Good to here from Neil, what is your opinion on the outdated average card system ? The response from you has just proven that you do not want to hear anything that is not status quo.

B. Whacket

12. 154

154 TS Member

smsnyder
    Will the computer not do this ? The computer system will make the process much faster and more accurate in the sense that the ata office will have it for their records faster. Change the out dated average card system will only benefit everybody involved.

B. Whacket

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How about a system simular to the Handicap score system use in golf. When I was very into golf we needed established handicap to play in tournements and league. The computer based system was just starting to take on. I only had one issue of inncorect data, quickly resovled. Now when you complete a round you can enter your scores ,tee position ,course, course ratting practice round, league or touney play. This would work fine for trap, would be nice if I could enter my practice and league scores for my averages(known abilty). Knowing the classifier can use all known info about me to class me. I would like to enter all known data.

14. Neil Winston

Pat, he's pretty easy to spot. The two words "out dated" stand out, "here" for "hear," and a passel of other giveaways make for easy tracking.

Neil

15. 154

154 TS Member

maclellan1911
    Thank You for the positive input.

B. Whacket

16. Neil Winston

Random capitalization looks like another spoor, Pat.

Neil

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I am a bit surprised that there has not been a electronic score system in full swing by now? Well maybe I shouldnt be. I just got my 1st PC and dig camera in FEB 07. What the heck was I waiting for. I think of the gas I could have saved running down to the library when I need to go on line. If things are working even if slow and out dated people tend to not want to change. Love to shoot ATA regardless.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Then there's who's to supply this new gear to every nook and cranny club out there, volunteer field personnel, volunteer cashiers; every 2 trap club with 25 members MUST have a computer and on line at that or does the ATA send out a CD disk with the info - received every week?? Well, it's certainly a good idea for clubs that have the resources to rely on the 'puter but do away with the average card? Nuts....Bob Dodd

19. 154

154 TS Member

otnot; Yes you are right and that is just my point. I have been to the larger shoots and noticed how much more efficient the process is for all involved. The outdated average card in my opinion is an avenue for mistakes.

B Whacket

20. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

if you can do credit cards over phone lines, why can't you do averages? scores could go in records next day. no paper work needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.