1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Card Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure after shooting for so long that i'm filling out my average card correctly. First off, when you list where you shot and then how many birds you broke for that event do you put an average down for just that event or do you keep a running total. I have been told both ways. Second question is, to the right it has handicap and then doubles. Do i put how many targets broke and then that average or the doubles average? There is not a spot for both. I don't shoot doubles so i've always kept my handicap average there. Is this right? I've been doing it this way now for 5 yrs and just recently a lady in classification said i was doing my card wrong but i couldn't understand what the hell she meant. I think they should have all the info they need in there little computers, right? I always thought the average card was just for my record.----Matt

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Your average card is to help the classifier determine what class you should be shooting in. The singles average is a running average for the current year. There is no need for your handicap average for classification purposes. The other average column is for your doubles average, so in your case leave it empty. The disc that they get for their computer from the ATA is usually six weeks or so behind. Bill Malcolm

3. grntitan

Bill---Thank you very much. You have made it more clear now on what exactly they are wanting to see.---Matt

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

It is correct that you keep a "running" average for BOTH singles and doubles. It is not necessary to do so for handicap.

Bear in mind that all shooters are required to keep their averages up-to-date. Failure to do so may result in penalty classification, or (worse yet) disqualification after an event has been shot.

Use only your current-year average card for compiling scores and averages. Should it become filled, ask for a blank card - often available at the classification desk. Add any subsequent scores to the blank card, and keep your averages on it - as well.

I mention this, because I've seen one instance where a shooter went to get classified, and had current-year scores posted on a prior-year average card. When questioned about this, he replied that his current-year card had become filled, so he used a prior-year average card to record his most-recent scores shot.

Since he was usuing a prior-year average card, there was some real concern that he may not have paid his current-year dues, and was therefore ineligible to compete in the tournament. This information was ALSO not available to the classifier via his computer terminal.

Long story, made short..........the shoot management allowed him to compete, with the understanding that his scores would be valid ONLY if home-office records verified that his dues was current.

Even though this particular shooter intended no wrong-doing, it could have been a real "nightmare"........

As was mentioned earlier, do not rely solely upon computer classification at a shoot. It may not be as valid as your average card, so long as you honor your obligation to keep it current.

5. grntitan

I think where the confusion was i didn't know if i was to keep a running average or individual event average. I have always kept a running average but the lady at the shoot(small shoot) said i was keeping my average wrong. I thought i was right and didn't argue with her i just agreed and figured i would ask the experts on TS.com. Thanks.----Matt

6. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

grntitan;

Another thing to remember is - the averages you place on your card only concern the current year. That is, when the new target year starts the first scores you shoot on that target year are your average.

Bottom line is; averages are a running total for the current target year they are not previous years averages nor are they lifetime averages. New target year - new averages.

Michael Stephenson

7. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I just wanted to clarify one thing on this, make sure you understand what is meant by "running average" as I have found not everyone has the same definition of "running average".

When I first started a few years ago a fellow at the club "taught" me to track this by taking the previous average, adding the newest score and then dividing by 2 for the "new" average. He referred to it as a "running average".

I soon discovered that this will NOT produce the same results you get by adding all scores shot and dividing by the number of scores, which is the correct way to get your "average".

Sometimes we think we are on the same page only to find out we were mistaken.

8. Beretta687EELL

David (TS.com) has provided us with a very nice accessory called "My Trap Scores Database". I use it to keep track of my registered scores and averages. It automatically calculates your averages for you. When you click in as a registered user of this site the discussion page opens up. Near the top under your screen name you will see "My Trap Scores Database" along with a number of other tools. Click on that and you can keep track of all your scores. Bill Malcolm

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There's only one correct definition of running average. Other opinions on what that means are incorrect.

Sum the total of all scores, divide by the number of targets shot at, times 100.

You have to watch out for the events where you shoot a number of targets other than 100 though (such as a Big 50 or a 200 target event) as you're trying to calculate an average per 100 targets shot.

You cannot take the previous average plus your most recent score and divide by 2. That is not a running average.

(e.g. scores of 97x100, 195x200, 49x50, 93x100, 91x100, 99x100 would average out to 96.0. Add a 90x100 to that and the average goes to 95.2.)

Now, my question for the win/tie box.

Should this only be marked if you win the event? Or if you win your singles class?

I believe this is only filled in if you win or tie for top score in the event. Correct?

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

timb99:

It is marked based on whether you would have won or tied in your CLASS. Applies to singles and doubles.

Try the link to the rules above. These questions seem to come up every year.

11. Beretta687EELL

Tim,

If you click on "Database Maintenance" and then "Target Year Table" you will see a tab marked "Add Target Year". If you click on that you can add a new year and start a new database for the current year. Bill Malcolm

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill. Did not know that. Handy.

Also thanks 870. Been doing the win/tie wrong all along.

13. grntitan

Sounds like we all learned a little something. They don't exactly explain things that well at the ATA. Good luck everyone and thanks for the help.----Matt

Remember the day you can't learn something new is the day you died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.