1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Calculation and New Target Year

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FormerMarine, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

When calculating my average on my new card for 2008 do I just continue a running average from 2007 or do I take my final average from 2007 target year and start working with that? Thanks in adavance.

Bill

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

formermarine, this is a fresh slate. forget the 2007 card - Take it with you but do not use it for this years scoring.

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

What I was told from ATA Pres. Ray Greb,,,,, You start all over ( dont start with you last years adverage ) Now even though you may start with a few High or a few Low scores, still bring with you your last years card that shows your scores so that the person determans your class has that info to go by.

(Now I can't wait until I read all of the other opinions that you get on this subject from so of the Critics here on TS.COM )

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i was told it is based on the last 1000 targets no matter what year. If it is based on 1000 targets i am a D class shooter. My 16 yard average was 86.16 in 2007 and 84 in handicaps on 3200 targets each. My last 500 target are around 91 and so is my handicap scores. What class according to ATA rules? This were the rule should be changed .I believe i am still a D class shooter because i never won a major event in my class and that's after 15 years. Now if i continue shooting a 91 score in D class or better i should win an event at some time and than should be moved up in class. Why move up in class until i do? As Kay ohye said in his video $1000.00 per move.

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

FlaLagarto I know that Neil is Pres now, Matter of fact i had a few beers with Him at the grand, but thin skinned, I don't think so, but when I got that info from Ray He was president and once you have ( Hold ) that title, it stays with you forever, although Neil is now acting Pres. and I know he will be a good one, so will the next Pres. Bruce.......

6. smsnyder

I also noticed at the Westy Hogan shoot a shooter who won his class in D class was moved up to C class. Why is that, when i thought 16 yard classifications are based on averages? That's the way it should be but not every club or ATA does that? WHY?

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

ATA is based on target year and you start over fresh with a new target year. PITA uses last 1000 targets in Singles and you must carry over your previous years scores for that 1000 targets. PITA uses last 500 targets for average for Doubles Class.

8. smsnyder

when i went to the tri-state shoot in west virgina they told me it was the last 1000 targets no matter what year? how can you say what class a person should be based on 2008 target year? most people don't have many targets in? classes in 16 yard events should be based on wins and averages. not just averages. 100 straights should also be figured. it's not.

9. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

smsnyder, Your running average and the average used to classify aren't necessarily the same number. You calculate your average based on the number of targets shot in that target year, be it 100 or 1000 or 10,000. The classifiers at larger shoots will use just the last 1000 targets, some will use the current year average as long as you meet the minimum target requirement for that shoot.

The class bump thing is pretty standard at most multiple day shoots, but doesn't carry forward to the next shoot (location).

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

smsnyder just because you feel that what you think should be the rules does not make it so.

Do you have a rule book? If so do you ever read it? If you spent more time reading and less time complaining you might know that in the rule book Section V, Singles and Doubles, Paragraph C, Classification. Sub Paragraph 5. A and B explains your questions/thoughts rather well. You might try reading it.

Bob Lawless

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I just thank God the ATA president(s) are around to explain all this complicated stuff. That's what I LOL about!

Scott

12. smsnyder

First of all, someone said you start off fresh in the new target year. This is not true if you do not have enough targets in. I read the rule book. It says for 16-yard targets and doubles shooter will be placed in 3 or more classes, according to their established averages and/or know ability. First of all wins and or 96 to 100 scores in 16 yards are often not considered. Why, because just because they won an event and or shot a 96 to 100 does not mean there average is higher. This is the part of the rule that is often over looked. I see it all the time. The rule book says it is also up to the the classification personnel. I am not complaining but these rule sometimes hurt the new shooters and old shooters as well. Wins and 96 to 100 scores should be recorded on ATA cards as a punch to the next class. i seen it done only once and it was at the Westy Hogan shoot this year.

13. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

sms-

The original question, which was answered with the first response, was how to calculate your average when the new target year started. It had nothing to do with classification.

Your statement above "this is not true if you do not have enough targets in" is not true. You are confusing the calculation of your average with how you are classified at the beginning of the target year (or with very few targets).

Scott

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It seems Earl has many friends on this site that see him at shoots. It would be a good idea if one of you could sit down with him and a rule book and explain this to him.

As pointed out above, your question was how you calculate your average, which is what is recorded on your soft card. It starts over every year. That 1000 target stuff that is confusing you has nothing to do with keeping your average. It is only one of the items that a classifier might use in classifying you. Please get it straight that it is separate from your average.

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Average is based ONLY on the present TARGET YEAR scores, starting September 2007.

Frank

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

smsnyder you wrote this in one of your posts "First of all wins and or 96 to 100 scores in 16 yards are often not considered. Why, because just because they won an event and or shot a 96 to 100 does not mean there average is higher." you also say "Wins and 96 to 100 scores should be recorded on ATA cards as a punch to the next class." So you feel that is a shooter has a good day and shoots a 96 he should be moved up to the next class. I believe that is what you said.

I am confused by your stand smsnyder because you also said "My last 500 target are around 91 and so is my handicap scores. What class according to ATA rules? I believe i am still a D class shooter because i never won a major event in my class and that's after 15 years. Now if i continue shooting a 91 score in D class or better i should win an event at some time and than should be moved up in class. Let me see if I have this correct you feel that your average right know is around 91 (it is or it isn't) but because you have never won a major event you should be allowed to take your B, C, average into the D class until you win in that class. Even though you say that Joe S@#t the rag man can't shoot a 96 or win no matter what the score and stay in D class no matter what his average is.

You believe that this should be the rules under the guise of your concern for the "I am not complaining but these rule sometimes hurt the new shooters and old shooters as well." All I can say to that is your interpretation of the existing rules is flawed and your wishes for the rule on wins and score are not looking to good either. All of this is just my take on what you have written.

Bob Lawless

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Averages start fresh at the beginning of the target year (Sept 1), you don't need to bring your old average card along to be classified. Your average card has the averages from the previous four years. When you get your new card just retire the old one.

John C. Saubak

18. trapper

trapper TS Member

Your averages start All Over with the new target year. Once you get your new Average Card, only the scores shot in the new target year should be listed.

19. Don S

Don S Member

Until you record 1000 targets in the new year on your temporary card, you must bring last years card. After receiving the new card you may retire the previous years card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.