1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Average Age of todays ATA shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LarryMcWI, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryMcWI

LarryMcWI TS Member

Does anyone know what the average age is for todays ATA shooters?

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

somewhere between retired and tango uniform. good luck with it

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

Some one told me once "55" and 55 lbs overweight. That about sums it up. Bob S

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well the ATA website say "Average age is 51". However that survey was taken 8 to 10 years ago. So I guess that as Bob S says 55 could be a guesstimate. It is definitely 51 plus.

Bob Lawless

5. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I would say some where between fossil and extinction, they would have to do carbon dating. TGIF!!!!

6. trapster100

trapster100 Member

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I am helping out with the weight statistic, as I am "in the ideal weight range" for my height. I am on a quest to lose at least 10 more lbs so I can be on the lowest end of that range, so if none of you go gaining 10 more lbs, we can tip this scale a little lower.

8. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I am not over weight, I am just 12 inches shorter than I should be!! And very well, for the most part.... so far.

Phil

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Captain Bud--That is the same problem i have. I believe i'm supposed to be 7'11. LOL

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Eat less. Save some food money and buy shells with it. I'll go hungry for shells.

11. sstella

sstella TS Member

Bob I beg your pardod. Talk for your self!!
    Steve S.

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Some live to eat and some eat to live.

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, my wife dropped me off at the state shoot and said it looked like a weight watchers convention. To me, the typical trap shooter with an ideal physique is 5'6" to 5'10", no neck, legs the size of tree trunks to be able to stand his or her ground in windy conditions, chest size 50 or larger, stock length 13" to 14", arm length long enough to reach for shells in his or her shooting pouch. Average age is 50 with gray hair. After what I just described, I wonder how we ever found someone to marry us.
    Steve Balistreri

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Statistics can be deceiving and averages are even less meaningful. What I see is: the vast majority of trapshooters are either in their late teens to mid/late twenties or over 50. The group from 30-50 is just not shooting trap at all for the most part.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The majority of trapshooters has always been a sport of the middle aged. It's usually a matter of economics and disposable income. The old guys have the $. Those that see that 51 year average shooter age and say that that's the principle indicator that the sport is dying are incorrect.

One reason that trapshooting is declining is the lack of a positive promotion of the sport at the grassroots level. There are others. The economy (always temporary) and much more and better promoted competition for the recreation dollar. Read Will O. Tarmigan's article in the latest Trap & Field and you'll see some more.

If the ATA is making a disastrous mistake, it's either their lack of understanding about sales promotion, their refusal to get help in that regard or lack of enthusiasm and I don't believe it's the latter.

The ATA officials refuse to spend money where they don't see an immediate payback for the organization. They have to build membership through a consistent sales campaign, partnering with the smaller "feeder" trapshooting clubs. That's where you find new shooters.

The SCTP is a great example of what can be built by active and continuous promotion. They didn't care where they were having their shoots or, for-that=matter, what clay target discipline they promoted. They didn't look at only the money but the number of shooters they generated. The money follows.

The ATA has benefited from the SCTP by forming their own program. The AIM program. The SCTP handed them the shooters and still does. I look at the AIM program as a passive organization, waiting for someone else to do the work. The SCTP is an active and greatly dynamic promotional organization.

If that attitude continues, we have only ourselves to blame for the shrinking of the ATA.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

You can look up anyones average by going to the ATA web site. Just type in there last name. The truth will be there.

17. grntitan

At 41 and shooting ATA registered Trap since 2006, i fit in that category of the 30-50 age that lacks alot of shooters. I never was normal. :0)

18. grntitan

Earl--True but you need more than just their last name. You need to know their first name as well.

19. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

I think it's 5150 :)

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Knowing the state they are from also helps, especially when there are a hundred or more with that last name.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.